Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 22:15
    Trump's latest tweet in response to Papadopoulos being imprisoned.

14 days for $28 MILLION - $2 MILLION a day,
    No Collusion.
    A great day for America!

What a leader! [/sarcasm]
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 22:22
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Trump's latest tweet in response to Papadopoulos being imprisoned.

14 days for $28 MILLION - $2 MILLION a day,
    No Collusion.
    A great day for America!

What a leader! [/sarcasm]
    He's whacked.

He will continue kicking and screaming his innocence just as all psych patients with pseudologia fantastica do.

But, it won't be long now: I see a rude treatment regime coming to him in future.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 01:55
    Craig Ferguson used to say this every night when he started his late-night show.

"This is a great day for America!"

And was born in Scotland, naturalized in 2008.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 07:18
    The next president 2020 will have much difficulty to restore the greatness of USA. Will it ever happen?
    Bye bye USA, good morning China?
  5. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 09:21
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    The next president 2020 will have much difficulty to restore the greatness of USA. Will it ever happen?
    Bye bye USA, good morning China?
    Be like Britian, never lose it in the first place. 😛
  6. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 12:34
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Yeah... the great British empire... didn’t lose that at all...
  7. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 06:25
    It was a great day for America: another nail in the coffin of the Russia collusion narrative.

The soft coup launched by the media and the deep state is collapsing.
  8. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 06:45
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    The greatness of Britian is a transgenerational, transgender, transpolitical, transclass, transreligion transracial sort of greatness. Saying that Britain is great because it once had an empire is like saying Italy has great food because the Romans once had an empire.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 07:26
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    It was a great day for America: another nail in the coffin of the Russia collusion narrative.

The soft coup launched by the media and the deep state is collapsing.
    It was the lizard people firing chemtrails from behind the grassy knoll, I tell ya.
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 16:37
    The greatness of Britian is a transgenerational, transgender, transpolitical, transclass, transreligion transracial sort of greatness. Saying that Britain is great because it once had an empire is like saying Italy has great food because the Romans once had an empire.
    The greatness of Great Britain is that it’s an island with England, Scotland and Wales
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 20:53
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    We live in an age now where the empire, while certainly a remarkable logistical achievement in that it was created by such a small island, is not what makes Britain a good country. It's embarrassing when people cling to the historical imperial power of their nation. I'm not a Brit-basher or anything, but I'm also not stuck in the past celebrating things that weren't the greatest for the rest of the world. There are plenty of British achievements other than conquest to be proud of. They invented capitalism, industrialization, the telephone, the telegraph, the train, the steam engine, penicillin, mechanics, calculus (shared with Germany), the WWW, etc. In the words of Kipling, they kept their head when the rest of Europe was losing theirs. They made a relatively gradual, peaceful transition from absolute monarchy to parliamentary democracy, although royal power was already limited by the Magna Carta, etc.

The British people are stoic, pragmatic and have a dry sense of humour. They have a sense of moderation and are not vindictive towards foes they have vanquished. They have a history of empowered women and they count many women amongst their greatest leaders in history. British politics attracts all people who have made Britain their home (yes, even the evil rightists are a diverse group).

That's not to say it's perfect because it's absolutely not - that's precisely why I don't engage in the relentless America bashing that happens here. A) It's boring to hear it for the umpteenth time and B) it's hypocritical for Europeans to pretend that their countries are so saintly or are a paradise on Earth when they just aren't. It's disingenuous for Europeans (who make up the vast majority of America bashers on here) to pretend that their countries would have done differently to America if they were still in the heyday of their power. In fact, Europe's time in charge was probably worse (by a long way) for other people than America's has been - America was the most anti-imperialist of all the great powers. Europe subjected the world to their whims far more overtly than America has done. Europe produced fascism and communism and some of the most terrible people in history. Numerically speaking, America just doesn't compare. Yes, they elected Trump, but I'll take him over Hitler or Stalin.

It's almost become a sin to say something good about America these days. It invites a maelstrom of outrage that I think is totally disproportionate to America's crimes. The fact that I will probably be bashed now is just proof of what I'm talking about.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 20:55
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    The greatness of Great Britain is that it’s an island with England, Scotland and Wales
    I don't believe Divegeester said the geographical term "Great Britain". It is called "Great Britain" because it's the largest island in the British Isles, nothing more.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 20:59
    The fight against the declinism that has characterized post-war Britain is unceasing. Mrs Thatcher did us all a service when she struck serious blows against it, but its ugly head has temporarily resurfaced these past few years. Britain has a bright future and there's nobody who can change that.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka to AThousandYoung
    I don't believe Divegeester said the geographical term "Great Britain". It is called
    "Great Britain" because it's the largest island in the British Isles, nothing more.
    As far as I can recall, when Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister, a slogan was launched
    about (not certain of the exact words) "making Britain great again" (before Donald Trump's slogan).

I doubt that Honshu should be called 'Great Japan'. (joke)
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:563 edits
    The greatness of "Great Britain" has nothing to do with its former empire. Great Britain is distinguished, geographically and etymology, from 'lesser' Britanny (a region along the western French coast).

"After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, many Britons settled in western Armorica, and the region started to be called Britannia, although this name only replaced Armorica in the sixth century or perhaps by the end of the fifth. Later, authors including Geoffrey of Monmouth (ca. 1095 - 1155) used the terms 'Britannia minor' and 'Britannia major' to distinguish Brittany from Britain."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany