Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 02:29
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/17/why-dutch-bring-up-worlds-happiest-teenagers

"Why Dutch teenagers are among the happiest in the world"

"In report after report, the Netherlands tops OECD countries for high life
    satisfaction among its young people.

It contrasts starkly with the picture in countries like Britain, where depression
    and anxiety are on the rise among teenagers, and the US, where the
    number of young people taking their own lives has risen sharply."

"If you look across Europe, the Dutch and the Danes are the most lenient
    and focus more on developing autonomy than giving priority to obedience
    – and that fits the society,”

"The HBSC data supports this: 86% of Dutch teenagers say their classmates
    are kind and helpful, putting the country top of the tables at 13 and 15.
    Sex education starts at four,...The rate of teenage pregnancies in the
    Netherlands is also the lowest in the EU."

"In the Netherlands we are rich, most things around children are well
    organised, like school and healthcare, and if people are poor, we try to
    help them. That’s maybe why children are happy."
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 02:531 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/17/why-dutch-bring-up-worlds-happiest-teenagers

It contrasts starkly with the picture in countries like Britain, where depression
    an ...[text shortened]... healthcare, and if people are poor, we try to
    Maybe the Dutch are too Calvanistic to complain?

They actually have a saying: “Act normal, then you’re already acting crazy enough.”

That being said, I did hear Dutch people conplaining about all you can eat buffets on a holiday resort. The 43 different dishes (I kid you not, I counted) didn’t offer enough choice. Just to be clear and complete, some of the choices were:
    Chips, boiled potatoes, pasta, rice, cous cous and sushi.
    Salads, boiled vegetables... and other gross stuff herbivores eat.
    Beef stew, Teruyaki steak, fried chicken (in some sort of sweet / sour sauce), spare ribs, etc.

One can only wonder was actually missing.

The Dutch are enormous. It’s like a land of giants over here. The average woman is now 1m73. Which is something like 27 thumbs, 2 feet and a couple of earlobes (or whatever sort of measurements the Fahrenheit community uses).

And here’s a last tidbit of info on the Dutch (which may or may not say something about their healthy mentality): if you ask them what they’re eating tonight... they name the vegetable!

I kid ye not!

What are you having for dinner tonight?
    Peas and carrots.
    Is that all?
    No, t-bone steak and some chips, probably.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 03:04

“Why Dutch teenagers are among the happiest in the world"

Because riding a bike is one of the funnest things to do, and they get to do it a lot.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 05:17
    It won't last.

My retarded countrymen have been voting for right wing scumbags for way too many years now. The youngest generation is going to have a hard time compared to the generations that came before it.

Buying a first time house is slowly becoming impossible. Renting a medium sized house costs an arm and a leg.

A population deserves the politicians it votes for. Unfortunately, their children pay the price.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 06:151 edit

Pretty sure the complete lack of sunlight in Britain has something to do with it. This lack of sunlight is evident in the fact that the people of Great Britain and Ireland (especially those with more Celtic ancestry so England a little less so) are literally the most naturally pale people in the world to better absorb mood-improving vitamin D.

https://goo.gl/images/yyri9s

I can honestly say I loved living in the UK but the lack of sunlight really does affect you. I don't mind cloudy weather at all but you start to feel sad from the lack of vitamin D after a while.

I'm a health nut and I know what foods make you feel better and worse. Both sugar and alcohol are very much downers and while they might make you feel better in the moment, you will undoubtedly feel worse the next day. Anxiety is a big side effect. In America, everything has added sugar and in the UK people drink quite heavily.

The Afrikaans people are mostly of Dutch, French and German ancestry with some British too, and they're also pretty tall. I think it's genetic. The average Dutch diet doesn't seem more nutritious than other northern European countries.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 06:172 edits
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    It won't last.

My retarded countrymen have been voting for right wing scumbags for way too many years now. The youngest generation is going to have a hard time compared to the generations that came before it.

Buying a first time house is slowly becoming impossible. Renting a medium sized house costs an arm and a leg.

A population deserves the politicians it votes for. Unfortunately, their children pay the price.
    Mr Rutte is one of the only continental politicians with his head screwed on right. I doubt you guys messed up there.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 06:30
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Maybe the Dutch are too Calvanistic to complain?

They actually have a saying: “Act normal, then you’re already acting crazy enough.”

That being said, I did hear Dutch people conplaining about all you can eat buffets on a holiday resort. The 43 different dishes (I kid you not, I counted) didn’t offer enough choice. Just to be clear and complete, some ...[text shortened]... for dinner tonight?
    Peas and carrots.
    Is that all?
    No, t-bone steak and some chips, probably.
    One can only wonder was actually missing.

Where was the frikandel speciaal?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 06:34
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Mr Rutte is one of the only continental politicians with his head screwed on right. I doubt you guys messed up there.
    In Dutch politics, the long knives are always ready, even (or especially) from members of your own party. That's why leaders tend to be excruciatingly boring (with a few exceptions) as to not offend anyone. I don't approve of Rutte's politics (and didn't vote for him), but I like his no-nonsense leadership style, and I don't doubt his dedication to the job.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 08:34
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    [b]One can only wonder was actually missing.

Where was the frikandel speciaal?[/b]
    One would hope the bin.

Have you ever kissed someone who’s just eaten that?

God damn, it makes cigarette and garlic breath seem refreshing.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 09:12
    Only relatively speaking. He's a white-collar robber, but unlike, say, Boris, Berlusconi, Orban or Putin, only a C-class one.

I think that's the real reason we Dutch and Danes are so content. We do realise we're going to hell in a handbasket, but when we look abroad (and both countries do so rather more than most of our neighbours, particularly the Anglos) we see that the ride could be so much faster and bumpier. Our handbaskets are fixed to the front of bikes, not tossed in the back of a Chelsea tractor.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 14:04
    Pretty sure the complete lack of sunlight in Britain has something to do with it. This lack of sunlight is evident in the fact that the people of Great Britain and Ireland (especially those with more Celtic ancestry so England a little less so) are literally the most naturally pale people in the world to better absorb mood-improving vitamin D.

https: ...[text shortened]... tic. The average Dutch diet doesn't seem more nutritious than other northern European countries.
    Nah, at 45° latitude we get enough sun. The problem is that planning involves putting as many houses as close together as possible, so that developers maximize their profit, without putting in open space, community centres, pubs, shops, etc.. So there's nothing to do because there's nowhere to do it.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 16:31
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    One would hope the bin.

Have you ever kissed someone who’s just eaten that?

God damn, it makes cigarette and garlic breath seem refreshing.
    No, despite it being such a delicacy, I've only ever dated women who dislike frikandel speciaal.
  13. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 23:21
    I've never thought of the Dutch as abnormally happy and satisfied.

Honestly, this reads to me like some journalist was like...

"So we got some nice looking stats here... Let's just throw this out there & pat ourselves on the back like we was Scandinavians."

And then it becomes like this embedded counter-narrative to the migrant crisis in the EU.

It'd be more interesting to weaponize this against migration: "Happy to be Young & Dutch -- so, look? We don't need change."
  14. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 23:271 edit
    This actually had me wondering...

Duchess, are you Dutch?

EDIT: Something tells me that, whatever your heritage is, you will be highly cagey about it and hold your cards close to your chest.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 23:45
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I've never thought of the Dutch as abnormally happy and satisfied.

Honestly, this reads to me like some journalist was like...

"So we got some nice looking stats here... Let's just throw this out there & pat ourselves on the back like we was Scandinavians."

And then it becomes like this embedded counter-narrative to the migrant crisis in the E ...[text shortened]... weaponize this against migration: "Happy to be Young & Dutch -- so, look? We don't need change."
    "I've never thought of the Dutch as abnormally happy and satisfied."
    --Philokalia

satisfaction among its young people."

These reports may be more reliable than Philokalia's 'gut instinct' (not a quote).

"t'd be more interesting to weaponize this against migration: "Happy to be Young & Dutch -- so, look?
    We don't need change."
    --Philokalia

Another (non-racist) way to consider it is this:
    "We Dutch are so happy that we are confident of being able to absorb new people
    and share our happiness with them."