Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 May '10 18:09 / 3 edits
    http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/66191

We all know that attorney general Eric Holder has recently admitted publically that he has not read the 10 page AZ law, even though he is attempting to weigh in on challenging the laws constitutional basis. Now add to the list Homeland Sectretary Janet Napolitano who admitted on Monday to a Senate panel that she had not read it either even though she was critisizing it. Then State Department assistant secretary of State Michael Posner weighed in on the matter as well even though he had not read the 10 page peice of legislation either. In fact, that did not prevent him from commenting to a Chinese delegation about the law in regards to the racially discriminatory nature of the bill.

Posner characterized the discussions as give and take. "I think the tone of the discussions was very much not 'We have got all the answers, we are telling the Chinese how to behave. It was framed in an international context, international standards. We are both obligated. And lets talk about things that we are both dealing with and try to figure them out -- can we help each other?"

Posners comments promted the New Your Post to editorialize on Teusday that the Obama adiministration is once again bashing America on the world stage. "China is one of the most flagarent violators of human rights on the planet and for the Obama administration even to hint that America is on the same plane is despicable," the Post said Tuesday.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 May '10 18:10
    http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.htm
  3. 18 May '10 18:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.htm
    Have you read the ten page bill? In fact, do you think that our government officials have read it? Perhaps they have read it but refrain from saying so in an effort to not be forced to weigh in on what verbage they actually oppose. If so, the tactic is backfiring badly.
  4. 18 May '10 18:22
    OMG. the secretary's caps lock key got stuck.
  5. 18 May '10 18:23
    what's the sheriff of Pima County going to do about this one?:

A. No official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state may adopt a policy that limits or restricts the enforcement of federal immigration laws to less than the full extent permitted by federal law.
  6. 18 May '10 18:28
    illegal aliens are committing trespass?

---

Sec. 3. Title 13, chapter 15, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 13-1509, to read:

START_STATUTE13-1509. Trespassing by illegal aliens; assessment; exception; classification

A. In addition to any violation of federal law, a person is guilty of trespassing if the person is both:

1. Present on any public or private land in this state.

2. In violation of 8 United States Code section 1304(e) or 1306(a).

B. In the enforcement of this section, the final determination of an alien's immigration status shall be determined by either:

1. A law enforcement officer who is authorized by the federal government to verify or ascertain an alien's immigration status.

2. A law enforcement officer or agency communicating with the United States immigration and customs enforcement or the United States border

7. 18 May '10 18:30
    G. A violation of this section is a class 1 misdemeanor, except that a violation of this section is:

1. A class 3 felony if the person violates this section while in possession of any of the following:

(a) A dangerous drug as defined in section 13-3401.

(b) Precursor chemicals that are used in the manufacturing of methamphetamine in violation of section 13-3404.01.

(c) A deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument, as defined in section 13-105.

(d) Property that is used for the purpose of committing an act of terrorism as prescribed in section 13-2308.01.

2. A class 4 felony if the person either:

(a) Is convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this section.

(b) Within sixty months before the violation, has been removed from the United States pursuant to 8 United States Code section 1229a or has accepted a voluntary removal from the United States pursuant to 8 United States Code section 1229c.
  8. 18 May '10 18:30 / 2 edits
    Of course, when the "Right" complained about "concerns" over the Obama legislation, the response was, "Have you read the bill? If not, then shut up." Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it would appear that we have a double standard. Of course, the laughable fact of the matter is that the immigration bill is ONLY 10 pages long. Compare that to the thousands of pages in Obamacare. I would say that it is far more understandable that one would not read Obamacare, which would proabably take a week, than the AZ immigration bill. What gives?
  9. 18 May '10 18:31
    coyotes and snakeheads need not feel excluded.

---

Sec. 4. Section 13-2319, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:

START_STATUTE13-2319. Smuggling; classification; definitions

A. It is unlawful for a person to intentionally engage in the smuggling of human beings for profit or commercial purpose.

B. A violation of this section is a class 4 felony.

C. Notwithstanding subsection B of this section, a violation of this section:

1. Is a class 2 felony if the human being who is smuggled is under eighteen years of age and is not accompanied by a family member over eighteen years of age or the offense involved the use of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

2. Is a class 3 felony if the offense involves the use or threatened use of deadly physical force and the person is not eligible for suspension of sentence, probation, pardon or release from confinement on any other basis except pursuant to section 31-233, subsection A or B until the sentence imposed by the court is served, the person is eligible for release pursuant to section 41-1604.07 or the sentence is commuted.
  10. 18 May '10 18:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Of course, when the "Right" complained about "concerns" over the Obama legislation, the response was, "Have you read the bill? If not, then shut up." Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it would appear that we have a double standard. Of course, the laughable fact of the matter is that the immigration bill is ONLY 10 pages long. Compare that to the tho ...[text shortened]... d Obamacare, which would proabably take a week, than the AZ immigration bill. What gives?
    thousands of pages? could you do it in a week? wouldn't it kill you first?
  11. 18 May '10 18:35
    Sec. 6. Section 23-212, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:

START_STATUTE23-212. Knowingly employing unauthorized aliens; prohibition; false and frivolous complaints; violation; classification; license suspension and revocation; affirmative defense

The attorney general or county attorney shall not investigate complaints that are based solely on race, color or national origin.

12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 May '10 18:37
    Have you read the ten page bill? In fact, do you think that our government officials have read it? Perhaps they have read it but refrain from saying so in an effort to not be forced to weigh in on what verbage they actually oppose. If so, the tactic is backfiring badly.
    No, I have not read the bill. Nor have I decided whether I approve or not. In general I think we should increase legal immigration to handle the issue, not refuse to let them in. They will come anyway. They want to work. Let them do it legally so we can keep an eye on immigrants.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 May '10 18:38
    Of course, when the "Right" complained about "concerns" over the Obama legislation, the response was, "Have you read the bill? If not, then shut up." Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it would appear that we have a double standard. Of course, the laughable fact of the matter is that the immigration bill is ONLY 10 pages long. Compare that to the tho ...[text shortened]... d Obamacare, which would proabably take a week, than the AZ immigration bill. What gives?
    I agree that long, cryptic legal documents are one of the ways The Man hides what he's doing from The People.
  14. 18 May '10 18:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, I have not read the bill. Nor have I decided whether I approve or not. In general I think we should increase legal immigration to handle the issue, not refuse to let them in. They will come anyway. They want to work. Let them do it legally so we can keep an eye on immigrants.
    I am willing to have a conversation about who should be allowed in ONLY when the borders are secured. Otherwise, what does it matter? In fact, I feel sorry for those who try to immigrate legally. Those that due will find themselves burdened down with beuacratic red tape. It will take them years, if at all, to become a legal citizen.
  15. 18 May '10 18:42
    what if Obama refuses to comply?

---

A state, county or local official shall not attempt to independently make a final determination on whether an alien is authorized to work in the United States. An alien's immigration status or work authorization status shall be verified with the federal government pursuant to 8 United States Code section 1373(c).