Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Jul '09 04:12 / 2 edits
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2913-Boston-Republican-Examiner~y2009m7d6-IsColin-Powell-now-having-doubts-about-Obama

"In an interview with CNN's "State of the Union", Colin Powell, who endorsed Barak Obama during the late stages of the campaign, is now expressing reservations about the presidents trillion dollar deficits, big budget liberalism"

Powell says, "And I never would have believed that we would have budgets that we are running into the multi-trillion dollars, and we are amassing a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great grandchildren will have to pay for it."

LOL

So what's up with this guy? Did he really not know how liberal Obama was in the Senate? It seems rather odd that he endorsed Obama when the polls favored him, but now that the polls are slipping away from Obama he comes out with this? Is Colin Powell simply an oppurtunist or someone who only can see as far as the nose on his face? Of course, I heard a while back that Rush Limbaugh said Powell was only endorsing Obama because of his race. Although he took a lot of heat for this comment, for obvious reasons, does this look as if Rush was possibly onto something?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Jul '09 04:13
    Do you have any hobbies, whodey?
  3. 08 Jul '09 04:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you have any hobbies, whodey?
    Only talking to you FMF.
  4. Standard member lordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    08 Jul '09 09:16
    For the US Republican Party to have a chance in future elections they have to get Powell and Condaleeza Rice on the same ticket.
  5. 08 Jul '09 10:56 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    For the US Republican Party to have a chance in future elections they have to get Powell and Condaleeza Rice on the same ticket.
    Colin Powell should run for President? Do you think this is his plan since he seems to take the side of the populuar sentiment in regards to the popularity or lack thereof with Obama? After his waffling about Obama, it seems that would be a truly difficult task indeed!

To be honest, I feel sorry for the man. He came on the scene between two of the absolute worst presidents in modern times. He not only has the Bush legacy to deal with, he also now has the Obama legacy to deal with thanks to his endorsement of him. As a result, I would say his political aspirations are toast. What say you?

As for Condeleeza Rice, the same applies in that she has the Bush legacy to tackle. I simply don't think it possible. All I can say is when Bush left office, the bodies began to surface. If the truth be known, they began to surface before he left office. Unfortunately, I get the same vibe from Obama thus far.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Jul '09 13:20 / 1 edit
    Powell had his chance. If he would have run in 1996, he would have had a fantastic chance to win the nomination and a solid chance to win the Presidency. He chose not to because he didn't want to put himself and his family through that ordeal. Fine. I can respect that. But his chance came and went. He'll never be President. He's rankled too many people on both sides at this point.
  7. 08 Jul '09 15:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    Powell had his chance. If he would have run in 1996, he would have had a fantastic chance to win the nomination and a solid chance to win the Presidency. He chose not to because he didn't want to put himself and his family through that ordeal. Fine. I can respect that. But his chance came and went. He'll never be President. He's rankled too many people on both sides at this point.
    I think Clinton was quoted as saying he was the only opponent he feared. Thank God he turned down the chance!!
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Jul '09 20:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think Clinton was quoted as saying he was the only opponent he feared. Thank God he turned down the chance!!
    Why?

I would have voted for him against Clinton. You wouldn't have?
  9. 09 Jul '09 00:27
    How would you like to have the name colin? It is about as bad as putin, especially in the days of flatulance tax.
  10. Standard member lordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    09 Jul '09 08:38
    Colin Powell should run for President? Do you think this is his plan since he seems to take the side of the populuar sentiment in regards to the popularity or lack thereof with Obama? After his waffling about Obama, it seems that would be a truly difficult task indeed!

To be honest, I feel sorry for the man. He came on the scene between two of the absol ...[text shortened]... egan to surface before he left office. Unfortunately, I get the same vibe from Obama thus far.
    Its just an outsiders point of view on two politicians who cover all spectrums of US society. I also think these two really care about the US in their hearts and you dont find that often.
    Shame it wont happen then.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Jul '09 12:58 / 1 edit
    Its just an outsiders point of view on two politicians who cover all spectrums of US society. I also think these two really care about the US in their hearts and you dont find that often.
    Shame it wont happen then.
    How do Powell and Rice cover "all spectrums of US society"?

I mean, I like them both, but they don't cover "all spectrums of US society" any more than, say, George Bush and Liddy Dole do.
  12. 09 Jul '09 13:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why?

I would have voted for him against Clinton. You wouldn't have?
    That is why Clinton feared him. He would have stolen enough "middle of the road" votes as well as the black vote by in large. However, he chose not to run and the rest is history.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jul '09 14:12
    [Powell] would have stolen [...]the black vote by in large.
    Oh yeah? After a dogsbody jobsworth Uncle Tom career in the service of the Pentagon, covering up for Mai Lai etc., Rumsfeld, Cheney Bush I - later to be manipulated, chewed up, spat out by Bush II? You think he is a 'Black American' who can steal the votes of the uncritical, politically illiterate 'Blacks of the U.S.' whodey?
  14. 10 Jul '09 04:23
    you're an idiot
  15. 10 Jul '09 04:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh yeah? After a dogsbody jobsworth Uncle Tom career in the service of the Pentagon, covering up for Mai Lai etc., Rumsfeld, Cheney Bush I - later to be manipulated, chewed up, spat out by Bush II? You think he is a 'Black American' who can steal the votes of the uncritical, politically illiterate 'Blacks of the U.S.' whodey?
    Well I guess we will never know. In fact, when I think about it, you raise another good question. Could a Republican black presidential candidate not be seen as an Uncle Tom? After all, the black vote has been historically democratic across the board, at least since the civil rights movement. As far as Colin Powell is concerned, I personally think he could have pulled it off. Call me crazy. Everyone else seems to.