Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    28 Oct '16 20:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    Naturally, you leave out the massive drug addiction problem in the US thanks to open borders.

Of course, you probably favor unrestricted drug use so it's no surprise you would purposefully ignore it.
    This is typical, spout a lie in a little 'throwaway' line so people will overlook that it IS a lie.

The US does not have 'open borders'.
  2. 28 Oct '16 20:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is typical, spout a lie in a little 'throwaway' line so people will overlook that it IS a lie.

The US does not have 'open borders'.
    It's no surprise that gullible people like whodey fall hook, line and sinker for the Trump meme that the US, which has historically extremely strict immigration policies and tight borders (far stricter than say, during the time when whodey's ancestors migrated to the US), somehow has "open borders."

The migrants who came through Ellis Island basically had to show that they had some pocket money and not show any immediate signs of coughing up their guts. 98% of them were let into the US. No "extreme vetting" going on there, for sure.
  3. 28 Oct '16 20:57
    Not to worry, I'm sure the fabulous new Obamacare will start to increase life expectancies in the US.
    What effect do you imagine increased health care coverage has on life expectancy?
  4. 28 Oct '16 20:58
    As the Harley Davidson motorcycle becomes more popular, life expectancy has been decreasing? They should be wearing helmets anyways.
  5. 28 Oct '16 21:13
    I was thinking more of the war torn countries in the Middle East and Africa that have suffered recently.
    Your error is to have apparently forgotten that there were even more war torn countries in both locations not long ago. You are either a youngster, or you have a really bad memory, or you were just plain ignorant before the internet.
  6. 28 Oct '16 21:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Suzianne
    It's no surprise that gullible people like whodey fall hook, line and sinker for the Trump meme that the US, which has historically extremely strict immigration policies and tight borders (far stricter than say, during the time when whodey's ancestors migrated to the US), somehow has "open borders."

The migrants who came through Ellis Isl ...[text shortened]... up their guts. 98% of them were let into the US. No "extreme vetting" going on there, for sure.
    White people like to embrace white European immigrants' experiences as representing all immigrants.
    US immigration policy was very permissive toward white European immigrants coming through Ellis Island.
    But it was much more restrictive toward Asian immigrants coming through Angel Island (California).
    US immigration policy remained deeply racist until (at least) 1965.

In 1882 the US government enacted the Chinese Exclusion Act, banning all Chinese
    except diplomats, merchants (who brought money), and students from entering the USA.
    Chinese immigrants were barred from becoming naturalized US citizens. Indeed, the
    US government argued that ethnic Chinese who were *born in the USA* should *not*
    be considered US citizens, but the US government was overruled by the Supreme Court
    in the case of the US v Wong Kim Ark. During the Second World War, Japanese
    propaganda attempted to appeal to the Chinese by arguing that the Americans were
    extremely racist against the Chinese (ignoring the fact that the Japanese were even
    more racist). So, as a wartime expedient, the Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed in
    December 1943. The US government set a (token) quota of 105 Chinese legal immigrants
    per year. Given China's estimated population, that meant that a Chinese person had a
    much less than a one in a million chance per year of becoming a legal immigrant to the USA.

Despite all these facts, from the middle of the 19th century onward, there was thriving
    racist paranoia in many parts (particularly California) of the USA that the Chinese 'hordes'
    (Yellow Peril) would soon overrun and ruin white American society. Chinese 'cheap labor'
    (Chinese tended to get paid much less than whites for doing the same work) was supposed
    to take jobs away from hard-working white men. Chinese men were stereotyped as
    dangerous opium-addicted sexual predators, who were inclined to abduct and ravish
    innocent young white women, forcing them into lives of prostitution and drug addiction.
    Some American politician built their careers upon inflaming anti-Chinese racism.
  7. 28 Oct '16 21:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What effect do you imagine increased health care coverage has on life expectancy?
    You're funny.
  8. 28 Oct '16 21:31
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    As the Harley Davidson motorcycle becomes more popular, life expectancy has been decreasing? They should be wearing helmets anyways.
    Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner. Life expectancy is going down because of Harley Davidson.

Good call.
  9. 28 Oct '16 21:32
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

The migrants who came through Ellis Island basicall ...[text shortened]... up their guts. 98% of them were let into the US. No "extreme vetting" going on there, for sure.
    People were turned away for a variety of reasons. If they were too sick or did not seem intelligent enough, they were turned away.

In other words, if they were deemed to be a burden on society, they were turned away.

Today, is it the same system?
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    29 Oct '16 08:20
    You're funny.
    It beats being stupid.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    29 Oct '16 08:25
    People were turned away for a variety of reasons. If they were too sick or did not seem intelligent enough, they were turned away.

In other words, if they were deemed to be a burden on society, they were turned away.

Today, is it the same system?
    More people have been deported during this administration than any other.

In fact, right now more people are leaving than coming in.

So your argument is just more of the same "everything's going to hell in a handbasket and it will only get worse if you elect my opponent" crap rhetoric nonsense we've gotten from conservatives for the last thirty years?
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    29 Oct '16 11:17
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/americans-dying-faster-millennials-too-100032333.html

As with everything else in the US and the world, things are deteriorating, including life expectancy.
    That's just in the US.

The rest of us are living it up in luxioury.

I'm glad you and your financial nightmare are rotting though. I'll enjoy the show whilst I munch on my guinea-fowl and truffel wrap.

See ya in hell, yank!
  13. 29 Oct '16 11:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    More people have been deported during this administration than any other.

In fact, right now more people are leaving than coming in.

So your argument is just more of the same "everything's going to hell in a handbasket and it will only get worse if you elect my opponent" crap rhetoric nonsense we've gotten from conservatives for the last thirty years?
    I thought you said the US did have open borders?
  14. 29 Oct '16 11:29
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    That's just in the US.

The rest of us are living it up in luxioury.

I'm glad you and your financial nightmare are rotting though. I'll enjoy the show whilst I munch on my guinea-fowl and truffel wrap.

See ya in hell, yank!
    The best part of watching the US go down the tubes will be watching Europe go along with it.

Learn to speak Arabic/Russian Shav.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    29 Oct '16 11:39
    The best part of watching the US go down the tubes will be watching Europe go along with it.

Learn to speak Arabic/Russian Shav.
    La il laha il lala mohammeder rasul alah.

Dosbedanje, yank!