Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Jul '11 23:12
    What are people here who have equity investments actually doing in anticipation of the debt limit problem, the Greece issues, fragile recovery, etc? Usually I just ride such things out, but I just converted a fairly sizable but lackluster growth and income mutual fund to cash, although it hardly scratches the surface, and I am meeting with my broker in a couple of days to consider a period of extensive capital preservation. What are you doing, and why?
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    12 Jul '11 23:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    What are people here who have equity investments actually doing in anticipation of the debt limit problem, the Greece issues, fragile recovery, etc? Usually I just ride such things out, but I just converted a fairly sizable but lackluster growth and income mutual fund to cash, although it hardly scratches the surface, and I am meeting with my broker in a couple of days to consider a period of extensive capital preservation. What are you doing, and why?
    I'm holding ETF's for precious metals and commodities. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion, however, that stocks will do poorly in a crisis. If the spit hits the fan bondholders are going to get hit, there will be a flight to liquidity and a desire to hedge against inflation. Stocks, precious metals, and commodities seem like the obvious choices. That's my guess anyway.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Jul '11 14:03
    I'm investing in food, clothing, healthcare, housing and schooling for my family.

When I have some capital to preserve I'll worry about preserving it.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    13 Jul '11 19:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm investing in food, clothing, healthcare, housing and schooling for my family.

When I have some capital to preserve I'll worry about preserving it.
    If I could get a job I'd start doing the same thing. My biological clock is ticking and this recession is pissing me off.
  5. 13 Jul '11 19:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If I could get a job I'd start doing the same thing. My biological clock is ticking and this recession is pissing me off.
    If you could get a job?

How long have you been unemployed in Los Angeles?

I'm 60 and never been unemployed in my life for more than a few weeks, what's your excuse?
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    13 Jul '11 19:26 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    If you could get a job?

I'm 60 and never been unemployed in my life for more than a few weeks, what's your excuse?
    There are jobs and there are jobs. I meant a professional level job. I work. But I don't have capital or even enough to raise kids right.

How come you don't have a subscription? Even I can afford that.

Oh, yeah, one other thing you old fart - you grew up when there were high taxes, open discrimination and therefore a healthy economy for whites at least. Now stfu. The world has changed. It's my world now, and that of the super wealthy. Die off already so I don't need to listen to you any more.
  7. Standard member Soothfast
    13 Jul '11 19:27
    I'm just payin' down the principal on the mortgage as fast as I can manage it, seeing as it's a 6% investment for someone else.
  8. Standard member Soothfast
    13 Jul '11 19:29
    If you could get a job?

You wear two hats: a paper one in the daytime and a tin foil one at night. The surest form of employment there is.
  9. 13 Jul '11 19:34
    There are jobs and there are jobs. I meant a professional level job. I work. But I don't have capital or even enough to raise kids right.

How come you don't have a subscription? Even I can afford that.

Oh, yeah, one other thing you old fart - you grew up when there were high taxes and therefore a healthy economy. Now stfu. The world has cha ...[text shortened]... , and that of the super wealthy. Die off already so I don't need to listen to you any more.
    I'm too busy paying for people like you to draw welfare and subscribe to chess sites.

Yeah, keep sucking the public tit and saying you are too good to work at all the available jobs that are "beneath" you.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    13 Jul '11 19:37
    I'm too busy paying for people like you to draw welfare and subscribe to chess sites.

Yeah, keep sucking the public tit and saying you are too good to work at all the available jobs that are "beneath" you.
    No government checks for me - I work for wealthy immigrants
  11. Standard member Soothfast
    13 Jul '11 19:39

Actually, dingleberry, just try to get a job at a McDonald's if your resume indicates that you've got an advanced degree. Very hard. The Clown will opt to hire the mouth-breathing 17-year-old instead, nearly every time. It only gets worse if you're unemployed and in your 50s.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    13 Jul '11 19:44 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Actually, dingleberry, just try to get a job at a McDonald's if your resume indicates that you've got an advanced degree. Very hard. The Clown will opt to hire the mouth-breathing 17-year-old instead, nearly every time. It only gets worse if you're unemployed and in your 50s.
    Maybe you need to hook up with the racists in Arizona. Apparently they've got hookups to California money via the Feds and this helps them get jobs by suckling off the California teat.

We're of course getting the money from Hollywood, East Asia, the Jewish community and the like. Oh yeah the Mexicans in agriculture too. Cheap food that we export.

Then there's tourism, our oil fields (still pumping)...

What exactly do people who have jobs in Arizona do? Besides law enforcement and prison guarding. It's a desert...
  13. Standard member Soothfast
    13 Jul '11 19:49
    Maybe you need to hook up with the racists in Arizona. Apparently they've got hookups to California money via the Feds and this helps them get jobs by suckling off the California teat.

We're of course getting the money from Hollywood, East Asia, the Jewish community and the like. Oh yeah the Mexicans in agriculture too.
    Alaska is my favorite example. Full of all those rugged "git-guvmint-outta-my-life" individuals, but the state would fold faster than Superman on laundry day if the Feds ever shut off the spigot.
  14. 13 Jul '11 19:51
    Well DURHHHHH yourself "dingleberry".

Yeah it's called being over qualified, anyone not retarded can figure a way around that, just DON'T TELL THEM .I've done it and worked at convenience stores, etc, when I needed work.

You don't need to tell me about being unemployed and 50, happened to me 10 years ago and I still managed to work.

But of course I didn't turn down jobs because I was "too good for them" like Mr. ATY and stay unemployed for years.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    13 Jul '11 20:02
    Alaska is my favorite example. Full of all those rugged "git-guvmint-outta-my-life" individuals, but the state would fold faster than Superman on laundry day if the Feds ever shut off the spigot.
    Superman on laundry day...LOL.

We could give it back to Russia. LOL.