Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Aug '17 19:58 / 2 edits
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/zambia-through-an-ignorant-westerners-eyes.169328

"http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/05/zambians-hit-back-at-white-saviour-gap-yah-memoir

"Briton's African Gap Year Memoir Sparks Angry Twitter Response"
    --Maeve Shearlaw (5 July 2016)

As a privileged 18 year old from the UK, Louise LItton spent her gap year in Zambia.
    She recently has written a memoir about her experiences. Her book has
    been fiercely denounced by Zambians (both black and white) for being
    extremely factually inaccurate and promoting racist stereotypes of Africa.
    At best, it seems that Louise Litton wrote a very implausible novel loosely based
    upon her some of experiences, which she seems eager to use for self-promotion.
    Her critics have accused her of outright lying and shamelessly fabricating incidents.
    (If so, she would seem well-qualified to write at RHP.)

Now, as a 'grown woman' (her words), Louise Litton is an aspiring actress and
    film producer in Hollywood. She may hope that someone buys the film rights to her book."
    --Duchess64 (6 July 2016)

I wondered how much fame and fortune Louise Linton could lie her way to.
    Presumably on account of her shameless disingenuous self-promotion,
    Louise Linton has moved up in the world, having recently married (24 June 2017)
    Steven Mnuchin (who's 18 years older), the wealthy US Secretary of the
    Treasury (formerly at Goldman Sachs).

As a Trumpian 'trophy wife', Louise Linton already has made the news for her arrogant
    sense of entitlement, looking down upon 'lesser' people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/us/politics/mnuchin-louise-linton-treasury-instagram.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

"Mnuchin’s Wife Mocks Oregon Woman Over Lifestyle and Wealth"

"The wife of the Treasury secretary on Monday night took a page from
    President Trump’s social media playbook for punching down.
    Louise Linton, the [designer] labels-loving wife of Steven Mnuchin, replied
    condescendingly to an Instagram poster about her lifestyle and belittled
    the woman, Jenni Miller, a mother of three from Portland, Ore., for having
    less money than she does."

"Ms. Miller could not understand why Ms. Linton highlighted her brand
    labels on a trip to Kentucky, a state with a high poverty rate."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/shortcuts/2017/aug/22/louise-linton-wife-steven-mnuchin-self-sacfricice-instagram

"Louise Linton and the ‘self-sacrifice’ of a mega-rich Trump administration spouse"

"Is everyone connected to Trump contractually obliged to match exactly
    his degree of graceless piggery? It would seem so."

"Did @jennimiller29 respond? On her own Instagram she wrote
    “According to my 20-second Google search, [Linton is] an aspiring Penthouse
    model who married an old rich guy in a wedding officiated by a homophobe
    and attended by other couples of similar age and beauty gaps.
    She says she’s a nice person. I doubt it. There weren’t any Nazi sympathizers
    at my wedding. #byelouise.”

Louise Linton has posed for 'Maxim' (men's magazine) rather than 'Penthouse'.

"In 2016, Linton drew wide criticism for her self-published book about her experiences
    in Zambia, titled In Congo's Shadow, co-authored by Wendy Holden.[9]
    After many readers objected to her false portrayal of Zambia, Linton
    withdrew her book from sale .[14] The Zambian High Commission in
    London and others have criticised the book for its inaccuracies and
    promotion of the false narrative of "the white saviour'."
    --Wikipedia

In her only notable role ('trophy wife' ) as an actress, Louise Linton
    presumably must hope that her looks will last (or did she get a good prenup?).
  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    23 Aug '17 05:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/zambia-through-an-ignorant-westerners-eyes.169328

"http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/05/zambians-hit-back-at-white-saviour-gap-yah-memoir

"Briton's African Gap Year Memoir Sparks Angry Twitter Response"
    --Maeve Shearlaw (5 July 2016)

As a privileged 18 year old from the UK, Louise LItton spent ...[text shortened]... , Louise Linton
    presumably must hope that her looks will last (or did she get a good prenup?).
    And you call ME a 'white feminist'.

This privileged blond bimbo, who has no doubt never had to work a day in her life, is probably more like what you mean by 'white feminist', and I assure you that I am nothing like her. I've been following her embarrassing 'Instagram adventure' with Jenni Miller, and, yeah, I agree, it's pretty disgusting.

And I can't even begin to imagine the degree of white privilege it takes to write a one-sided book on her time in Zambia like she did.
  3. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    23 Aug '17 09:58
    Originally posted by @suzianne

This privileged blond bimbo, who has no doubt never had to work a day in her life, is probably more like what you mean by 'white feminist', and I assure you that I am nothing like her. I've been following her embarrassing 'Instagram adventure' with Jenni Miller, and, yeah, I agree, it's pretty disgusting.

And I ca ...[text shortened]... degree of white privilege it takes to write a one-sided book on her time in Zambia like she did.
    to write a one-sided book

I have the image of a book printed only on one side of the page, so alternative pages are blank, on the basis that the writer was incapable of covering both sides with actual words. Made me smile.
  4. 23 Aug '17 18:57

And I ca ...[text shortened]... degree of white privilege it takes to write a one-sided book on her time in Zambia like she did.
    I don't know that Louise Linton even claims to be a 'feminist' of any kind.
    I would not refer to a self-absorbed entitled white woman (e.g. Sarah Palin) as a
    'white feminist' as long as she does not claim to be a feminist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Linton

Louise Linton's on her second husband; her first husband was a lawyer in Beverly Hills.
    If she had not married into more money, could she have got a gig at the Fox News Channel?
  5. 23 Aug '17 19:19
    http://www.businessinsider.com/louise-linton-bio-actress-and-steve-mnuchin-wife-2017-8/#linton-began-acting-professionally-in-2006-2

"The life and career of model-actress Louise Linton, who is married to Steve Mnuchin
    and just bashed a woman for paying fewer taxes than her."

"Louise Linton, wife of US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, was in the spotlight well
    before her involvement with Washington insiders. An actress and model from Edinburgh, Scotland,
    Linton married Mnuchin in an extravagant ceremony in June {2017]."

"In 2016, Linton released a controversial memoir about the time she spent volunteering in Zambia as a teenager.
    In one part of the book, she writes, "A 'skinny white muzungu with long angel hair,'
    Louise was an anomaly in darkest Africa." She also described the country as "savage.""

"The Zambian High Commission in London publicly denounced Linton and the book's "falsified"
    content, saying it was "tarnishing the image of a very friendly and peaceful country."
    Linton later apologized on Twitter, and it has since been pulled from the market."
  6. 23 Aug '17 19:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @Finnegan to Suzianne
    to write a one-sided book

I have the image of a book printed only on one side of the page, so alternative pages
    are blank, on the basis that the writer was incapable of covering both sides with actual words. Made me smile.
    Louise Linton's not the first ethnocentric Westerner to write a 'one-sided' book (or to fabricate events)
    about an 'exotic' non-Western society. Some of these books may have had popular, though
    probably not critical, success because they can appeal to ignorant, gullible Westerners.
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    23 Aug '17 19:22
    http://www.businessinsider.com/louise-linton-bio-actress-and-steve-mnuchin-wife-2017-8/#linton-began-acting-professionally-in-2006-2

"The life and career of model-actress Louise Linton, who is married to Steve Mnuchin
    and just bashed a woman for paying fewer taxes than her."

"Louise Linton, wife of US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, was in the s ...[text shortened]... l country."
    Linton later apologized on Twitter, and it has since been pulled from the market."
    ... it has since been pulled from the market...

There's a market for that???
  8. 23 Aug '17 19:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @finnegan

Yes, I can recall a book (though I have forgotten its title) by a young Western woman who visited
    a non-Western society and had enough connections to get her book published about her experiences.
    Without any trace of embarrassment, the (reputable) publisher promoted the book by saying
    that it was particularly valuable because it had the insights of a supposedly unbiased
    Westerner who was completely ignorant of that society before she had visited it.
    So her knowing nothing about that society's language(s), culture(s), and history was
    supposed to be the main selling point of her 'informative' (for Westerners) book!

I once met a rich white man, who fancied himself (having read many popular sources) as
    an expert on the Second World War. Shortly after talking with me, he admitted that he
    did not have anything close to my level of knowledge and insight about that subject.
    So he made me a proposition. He would pay me if I would write a history book for him,
    which would be published under his name alone, without giving me any credit. I declined.
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    23 Aug '17 19:55 / 2 edits
    Yes, I can recall a book (though I have forgotten its title) by a young Western woman who visited
    a non-Western society and had enough connections to get her book published about her experiences.
    Without any trace of embarrassment, the (reputable) publisher promoted the book by saying
    that it was particularly valuable because it had the insights of a ...[text shortened]... d history was
    supposed to be the main selling point of her 'informative' (for Westerners) book!
    The Middle Ground by Richard White is one of the better books I have read this year. He describes the way Europeans experienced Native Americans on their earliest encounters and makes a number of observations:
    1. Mutual incomprehension - each was totally alien to the other
    2. Interpretation - each attempted to explain the other using their own conceptual frameworks, but the result was more imaginative than real - a process of "mutual invention". The mere fact that they had physically met each other did not mean that they learned anything useful from their earliest encounters and often their delusions were more of an obstacle to learning than a help. Moreover, whatever their own direct experiences, when they told others about what they had encountered they wove layers of fantasy into their accounts and tried to fit their descriptions to what their listeners would want and expect to hear.
    3. The impact of writing : Europeans wrote down their impressions, based on total ignorance and fantasy, but those written impression, entirely false, went on to guide European beliefs about Native Americans more or less permanently.
    4. As they grew more accustomed to each other those earlier entirely false impressions lost their relevance but because of the power of the written word, the ignorance of the early European visitors had a long lasting - permanent - effect.

Here is a key quote from the book:

"...“The creation of the middle ground involved a process of mutual invention by both the French and the Algonquians. This passed through various stages, of which the earliest is at once the most noticed and the least interesting. It was in this initial stage that the French, for example, simply assimilated Indians into their own conceptual order. Indians became sauvages, and the French reduced Indian religion to devil worship and witchcraft. The Algonquians, for their part, thought of the first Europeans as manitous. On both sides, new people were crammed into existing categories in a mechanical way.”

“Literacy gave this initial stage a potency and durability for Europeans it might otherwise have lacked. Because the French were literate, knowledge of Indians was diffused far from the site of actual contact. Such knowledge, unchallenged by actual experience with Indians, survived as a potent cultural relict. Long after it ceased to govern the actions of those who actually lived among Indians, the idea of Indians as literally sauvages, or wild men embodying either natural virtue or ferocity, persisted among intellectuals and statesmen in France. Assimilated into European controversies, these imaginary Indians became the Indians of Chateaubriand and Rousseau. They took on importance, but it was one detached from the continuing process of contact between real Algonquians and real Europeans..."
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    23 Aug '17 20:27

Well, you know, Amazon.
  11. 23 Aug '17 20:35
    Originally posted by @suzianne to Finnegan
    Well, you know, Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Congos-Shadow-Louise-Linton/dp/1522708049/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503520237&sr=1-1&keywords=louise+linton+congo

"In Congo's Shadow: Paperback – April 16, 2016
    by Louise Linton (Author), Wendy Holden (Contributor)
    Out of Print--Limited Availability."

Louise Linton wrote a silly novel, in effect, that she attempted to pass off as a memoir.
    It has happened before. There are some 'Jewish Holocaust survivor' memoirs by writers
    who never spent any time in Nazi concentration camps or sometimes were not even Jews.
  12. 23 Aug '17 20:38

I read a 'colourful' memoir by a Briton who claimed to have fought for the SAS in Afghanistan.
    I was skeptical about some of his technical details, but a major publisher had approved his book.
    It emerged that he never was in the SAS and never had fought in Afghanistan.
  13. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    23 Aug '17 20:42
    Well, you know, Amazon.
    Looks like the perfect Christmas gift for robbie and Elador and whodey.

In Congo's Shadow is the inspiring memoir of an intrepid teenager who abandoned her privileged life in Scotland to travel to Zambia as a gap year student where she found herself inadvertently caught up in the fringe of the Congolese War.

A ‘skinny white muzungu with long angel hair’, Louise was an anomaly in darkest Africa. Posted to a tiny village on the shores of Lake Tanganyika just miles from Congo, she became immersed in a remote world of unsurpassed natural beauty rife with hidden danger. Life was at first idyllic. As the weeks passed, Louise formed close friendships with the Bemba people, learnt their language, and created a little school under the Mukusi tree. Still struggling with the untimely loss of her mother, Louise found comfort in her bond with Zimba, a six-year-old orphan girl who she came to love as her own.

Monsoon season came and went, and just as normal life resumed Louise fell for a young German pilot, but their courtship could not last. News of civil war was spreading down the lake as the Hutu-Tutsi conflict began to escalate…

This compelling coming-of-age story is a tale of lost innocence and one daring young girl’s bittersweet journey to heart of Africa as she conquers fear, breaks barriers and learns that friendship can transcend race, age, and history.
  14. 23 Aug '17 22:23
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/us/politics/louise-linton-mnuchin-instagram.html

"Louise Linton Goes From the Lap of Luxury to the Center of a Social Media Storm"

"The protests and rallies and arguments roiling the country for months have not seemed
    to bother Ms. Linton, a Scottish actress who spent the summer after her wedding to
    Steven Mnuchin posting evidence of her lavish lifestyle on Instagram."

"Ms. Linton, a spun-sugar blond who cuts an over-the-top glamorous figure in Washington,
    posted an Instagram photo of herself, Hermes bag on one arm and a Hermes scarf on
    the other, disembarking from a government jet."

It's been estimated that Louise Linton was wearing 15,000 USD worth of stuff, not counting any jewelry.

"Ms. Linton is not the first woman associated with Mr. Trump to earn a comparison to Marie Antoinette.
    As protests erupted around the country over her father’s proposed travel ban in January,
    an Instagram photo of Ivanka Trump wearing a silver dress was quickly dubbed the
    “let them eat cake” photograph. Ms. Linton also is not the only woman in the president’s
    orbit who is dripping in diamonds and draped in Chanel.

But she is the first to be bluntly unapologetic about her luxurious lifestyle, one that
    affords her a comfortable, swan-shaped perch to view the country’s infighting."
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    24 Aug '17 04:15
    https://www.amazon.com/Congos-Shadow-Louise-Linton/dp/1522708049/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503520237&sr=1-1&keywords=louise+linton+congo

"In Congo's Shadow: Paperback – April 16, 2016
    by Louise Linton (Author), Wendy Holden (Contributor)
    Out of Print--Limited Availability."

Louise Linton wrote a silly novel, in effect, that she attempt ...[text shortened]... y writers
    who never spent any time in Nazi concentration camps or sometimes were not even Jews.
    People seem to crave the spotlight and some will spend political capital and/or personal integrity to achieve it.