Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 17:13
    With all of this talk about building the wall at the Mexico border why aren't people talking about the reason people south of the border have such low living standards? Mexico is an oil exporter. That money could be used to create jobs and feed the poor.

The CIA already admits to meddling in foreign elections and justifies it by saying we do it for a good cause. Should we meddle in Mexico's election for a good cause? After all, corruption is a big problem in Mexico leaving their people impoverished and eager to flee their country into the USA, right? If Mexico has a problem with less corruption maybe we really should make them pay for the wall.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 17:28
    How will you "make" Mexico pay for a wall?

As far as the CIA, do you think they'd ever admit wrong doing to the public? Don't you think everything the CIA does, good or bad, will be dressed up as a "good cause"?

The U.S. does need secure borders and limits on immigration, simply because no country can handle an unlimited amount of immigration. The motivation for secure borders must be sensible; not the xenophobic propaganda spit out by right-wingers.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 17:41
    Originally posted by @vivify
    How will you "make" Mexico pay for a wall?

As far as the CIA, do you think they'd ever admit wrong doing to the public? Don't you think everything the CIA does, good or bad, will be dressed up as a "good cause"?

The U.S. does need secure borders and limits on immigration, simply because no country can handle an unlimited amount of immigration. The m ...[text shortened]... on for secure borders must be sensible; not the xenophobic propaganda spit out by right-wingers.
    Trump could threaten to invade Mexico unless they pay for the wall. It isn't like he hasn't threatened to invade other countries. Tariffs would be a more reasonable way though. Trump doesn't seem to have a problem with risking trade wars so I don't see why he has let people call him a liar for not making Mexico pay for it with tariffs imposed on them.

Of course the CIA will never admit to things that make them look bad. You don't hear them bragging about Operation Ajax openly. Probably behind closed doors they do, but not overtly.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 17:45
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Trump could threaten to invade Mexico unless they pay for the wall. It isn't like he hasn't threatened to invade other countries.
    The fact that conservatives are comfortable saying things like this is frightening, frustrating and depressing.
  5. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 18:10
    With all of this talk about building the wall at the Mexico border why aren't people talking about the reason people south of the border have such low living standards? Mexico is an oil exporter. That money could be used to create jobs and feed the poor.

The CIA already admits to meddling in foreign elections and justifies it by saying we do it for a ...[text shortened]... If Mexico has a problem with less corruption maybe we really should make them pay for the wall.
    The USA has been "meddling" with Mexico for a very long time.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 18:18
    The fact that conservatives are comfortable saying things like this is frightening, frustrating and depressing.
    It seems to me that most of the "patriotic" chest beating is coming from the bottom of the barrel.

Sigh ..... 😕
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 19:32

The CIA already admits to meddling in foreign elections and justifies it by saying we do it for a ...[text shortened]... If Mexico has a problem with less corruption maybe we really should make them pay for the wall.
    There are no protests against these sh#thole governments that cause people to flee to the US for their lives.

In short, they don't matter until they cross the border, then it's Trump's fault.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 20:06
    Trump could threaten to invade Mexico unless they pay for the wall. It isn't like he hasn't threatened to invade other countries. Tariffs would be a more reasonable way though. Trump doesn't seem to have a problem with risking trade wars so I don't see why he has let people call him a liar for not making Mexico pay for it with tariffs imposed on them.
    ...[text shortened]... hem bragging about Operation Ajax openly. Probably behind closed doors they do, but not overtly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared
  9. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 20:20
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared
    Classic Peter Sellers. 🙂
  10. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 21:33
    ...[text shortened]... hem bragging about Operation Ajax openly. Probably behind closed doors they do, but not overtly.
    A tariff is a tax paid by Americans who purchase goods or services from outside of the U.S. It's not paid by the Mexican government.
  11. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 21:40
    Should we meddle in Mexico's election for a good cause?
    If Obama sets the standard, then yes, according to the report cited below.

"“According to the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI), the State Department gave $349,276 in U.S. taxpayer-funded grants to a political group in Israel to build a campaign operation, which subsequently was used to try to influence Israelis to vote against conservative Benjamin Netanyahu in the March 2015 election for prime minister,” CNS reported."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/02/22/tammy-bruce-tracking-real-collusion-obama-knew-foreign-entities-were-interfering-did-nothing.html
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '18 16:04
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    A tariff is a tax paid by Americans who purchase goods or services from outside of the U.S. It's not paid by the Mexican government.
    Are you saying tariffs cannot tax foreigners? That is not my understanding, but if I'm wrong by all means let me know what the specific term is.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '18 16:06
    I was joking, kind of. BTW, I didn't vote for Trump and I'm not a republican.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '18 16:09
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    If Obama sets the standard, then yes, according to the report cited below.

"“According to the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI), the State Department gave $349,276 in U.S. taxpayer-funded grants to a political group in Israel to build a campaign operation, which subsequently was used to try to influence Israelis to vote agains ...[text shortened]... ammy-bruce-tracking-real-collusion-obama-knew-foreign-entities-were-interfering-did-nothing.html
    According to Wikipedia even the Vatican meddled in an election. It is always a good cause when you are doing the meddling, right?
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jul '18 17:44
    I was joking, kind of. BTW, I didn't vote for Trump and I'm not a republican.
    But you are a conservative, right?