Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Dec '16 19:20
    http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/12/16/michelle-obama-says-america-is-entering-a-time-of-hopelessness/

I presume that hope and change worked and failed only during the election of Donald Trump.

Is this right Dims?
  2. 16 Dec '16 19:28
    I don't think Michelle Obama is being completely fair, I'm certain white supremacists have regained a lot of hope recently.
  3. 16 Dec '16 19:36 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't think Michelle Obama is being completely fair, I'm certain white supremacists have regained a lot of hope recently.
    White supremacists?

Did white supremacists get Trump elected? Last I checked we were all told that there were not enough racist white folk to elect Romney.

What changed exactly?

Or is Putin the White Supremacist you speak of who illegally took control of the government?

It gets hard to keep your stories straight after a while, eh?
  4. 16 Dec '16 19:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/12/16/michelle-obama-says-america-is-entering-a-time-of-hopelessness/

I presume that hope and change worked and failed only during the election of Donald Trump.

Is this right Dims?
    who wants to bet whether this is the time whodey actually told the truth or if he once again posted some clickbait lie of an article that says one thing in the title and then reveals the opposite or something unrelated by the end of it?

who is feeling lucky enough to bet on the longshot?
  5. 16 Dec '16 19:47
    White supremacists?

Did white supremacists get Trump elected? Last I checked we were all told that there were not enough racist white folk to elect Romney.

What changed exactly?

Or is Putin the White Supremacist you speak of who illegally took control of the government?
    White supremacists have been an important faction of the GOP since the party realignment of the 1960s, but they were always courted more subtly, as for instance Reagan did with his "welfare queens" and "states' rights." Trump is the first presidential candidate since that realignment to court racists explicitly and it's what granted him the primary win. Trump actually lost many educated Romney voters but made up for that by mobilizing racists who were not enthusiastic about Romney.
  6. 16 Dec '16 19:51 / 1 edit
    White supremacists have been an important faction of the GOP since the party realignment of the 1960s, but they were always courted more subtly, as for instance Reagan did with his "welfare queens" and "states' rights." Trump is the first presidential candidate since that realignment to court racists explicitly and it's what granted him the primary win. ...[text shortened]... Romney voters but made up for that by mobilizing racists who were not enthusiastic about Romney.
    So the only way for the GOP to continue to win is to court racists that only Trump can rouse

Got it!

So when will they get rid of Civil Rights I wonder?
  7. 16 Dec '16 20:02 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by whodey to KazetNagorra
    So the only way for the GOP to continue to win is to court racists that only Trump can rouse

Got it!

"...racists that *only*Trump can rouse."
    --Whodey

Wrong. Some other Republican politicians have and will appeal to 'white nationalists'.

"So when will they get rid of Civil Rights I wonder?"
    --Whodey

Republican politicians already have attempted to deter non-white Americans from voting.
  8. 16 Dec '16 20:11
    White supremacists have been an important faction of the GOP since the party realignment of the 1960s, but they were always courted more subtly, as for instance Reagan did with his "welfare queens" and "states' rights." Trump is the first presidential candidate since that realignment to court racists explicitly and it's what granted him the primary win. ...[text shortened]... Romney voters but made up for that by mobilizing racists who were not enthusiastic about Romney.
    One of the main reasons that Trump won is that people do not like being told that if they don't blindly support the Democrats then they are racists. I personally find Affirmative Action and other class based allocation that Democrats support racists and am hoping that Trump will roll back or eliminate it. I don't say that everyone who votes Democrat is racist not sure why you feel comfortable claim all those who don't are.
    There are people who abuse welfare and there are people who believe that everything shouldn't be dictated by the federal government (interestingly, it is now liberal Democrats who are are claiming states rights to oppose what they perceive as Trump abuses). Again one can legitimately feel we should increase or decrease welfare but that does not make either necessarily racist.
  9. 16 Dec '16 20:12
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "...racists that *only*Trump can rouse."
    --Whodey

Wrong. Some other Republican politicians have and will appeal to 'white nationalists'.

"So when will they get rid of Civil Rights I wonder?"
    --Whodey

Republican politicians already have attempted to deter non-white Americans from voting.
    Oh, so it is the "white" nationalists who have teamed up with the "white" racists.

I need to start writing all of this stuff down.

So really there are enough "whiteys" out there to win according to the anti-whitey folk here are RHP.
  10. 16 Dec '16 20:13
    Originally posted by quackquack
    One of the main reasons that Trump won is that people do not like being told that if they don't blindly support the Democrats then they are racists. I personally find Affirmative Action and other class based allocation that Democrats support racists and am hoping that Trump will roll back or eliminate it. I don't say that everyone who votes Democrat is ...[text shortened]... ly feel we should increase or decrease welfare but that does not make either necessarily racist.
    Please don't correct them. Their racist bigoted talk is finally destroying them.
  11. 16 Dec '16 20:13

Got it!

I don't think appealing to racists is the only way for the GOP to win, nor is Trump the only one who can do it.

The United States never fully implemented universal suffrage even after passing the Voting Rights Act (Trump would have been crushed had there been universal suffrage), but the lack of national oversight has led to this goal getting further out of reach in recent years.
  12. 16 Dec '16 20:19
    One of the main reasons that Trump won is that people do not like being told that if they don't blindly support the Democrats then they are racists. I personally find Affirmative Action and other class based allocation that Democrats support racists and am hoping that Trump will roll back or eliminate it. I don't say that everyone who votes Democrat is ...[text shortened]... ly feel we should increase or decrease welfare but that does not make either necessarily racist.
    In my experience racists don't like being called racists, while non-racists just assume you're not talking about them.

The major reason why the U.S. has such a weak welfare state compared to European nations is the role racism played in the opposition to the welfare state; meanwhile racism was extremely frowned upon in Western Europe prior to the 1990s.
  13. 16 Dec '16 20:52
    In my experience racists don't like being called racists, while non-racists just assume you're not talking about them.

The major reason why the U.S. has such a weak welfare state compared to European nations is the role racism played in the opposition to the welfare state; meanwhile racism was extremely frowned upon in Western Europe prior to the 1990s.
    Not only is your view baseless, you are impugning bad motives to those who disagree with your policy. While you may believe you are being progressive, you are the one now guilty of baseless stereotyping.
  14. 16 Dec '16 20:58
    Oh, so it is the "white" nationalists who have teamed up with the "white" racists.
    I need to start writing all of this stuff down.
    So really there are enough "whiteys" out there to win according to the anti-whitey folk here are RHP.
    The racist troll Whodey fails to comprehend that 'white nationalists' is a euphemism
    preferred by many white racists who dislike being explicitly identified as racists.
  15. 16 Dec '16 21:03
    Not only is your view baseless, you are impugning bad motives to those who disagree with your policy. While you may believe you are being progressive, you are the one now guilty of baseless stereotyping.
    Yawn... Two thirds of Trump primary supporters thought Obama was a Muslim. Polls of Trump primary voters showed that for the majority of them "immigration" was a major concern. You are really sticking your head in the sand by denying the role of racism in American politics and society in general.

I'm not a "progressive" and I disagree on policy matters with the vast majority of Democrat voters and a large chunk of Clinton's platform.