Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    30 Aug '17 10:28 / 1 edit
    On the day when I got a Facebook message telling me I am only a visitor in this country and should show more respect - a tirade in block capitals, misspelt, about the FACT that the Tories won the last election and the people voted for Brexit and now we all have no choice but to accept the English version of Sharia Law - this classic item also appeared:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-born-joiner-uk-parents-11075325?ICID=FB_mirror_main
  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    30 Aug '17 12:33
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    On the day when I got a Facebook message telling me I am only a visitor in this country and should show more respect - a tirade in block capitals, misspelt, about the FACT that the Tories won the last election and the people voted for Brexit and now we all have no choice but to accept the English version of Sharia Law - this classic item also appeared:
    ...[text shortened]... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-born-joiner-uk-parents-11075325?ICID=FB_mirror_main
    Nice to know that the US does NOT have a corner on all the stupid.
  3. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    30 Aug '17 14:07
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Nice to know that the US does NOT have a corner on all the stupid.
    No, this country sacrificed its right to abuse Americans with its self harming Brexit referendum and its election of Treeza Mayhem as Prime Minister.

btw I was not called a 'visitor' but a 'guest'. I don't mind that much - got over English racism as a schoolchld - but the notion that guests like I must "respect" pig ignorant and uncouth English racists is hard to relate to. What do these oddball racists see when they look in a mirror? Beauty with the wings of an angel?
  4. 30 Aug '17 16:32
    ...[text shortened]... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-born-joiner-uk-parents-11075325?ICID=FB_mirror_main
    Are you saying Sharia law is bad ?
  5. 30 Aug '17 16:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @phil3000
    No, no, Sharia law good, Bible bad.

For the record, Migrant madness is the best playoff sports has to offer. I just love it!
  6. 30 Aug '17 16:48
    Please explain ,in what way do you think the English law in any shape ,version or form replicates Sharia law ?
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    30 Aug '17 19:18 / 1 edit
    Please explain ,in what way do you think the English law in any shape ,version or form replicates Sharia law ?
    I was not referring to any law, though I could refer for example to Treeza Mayhem's out of control border police and deportation regime, but I was referring to the evident aspiration of racists for an authoritarian future in which they will at last be respected as the masters.

Fringe racists in England think that Brexit entitles them to an outpouring of racist abuse, and that they can now look forward to an ethnically pure nation in which they, at last, will be recognised and duly respected as the superior race, just as American racists feel they are now empowered by Trump's election. The analogy I draw is not an original one, but is between the Taliban and the White Supremacists and Evangelical Christians. Fascistic and authoritarian attitudes appeal to the dregs of every society.
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    30 Aug '17 19:32 / 2 edits
    I am an atheist and, among other things, to the extent that this is feasible for a male, a feminist. There is little prospect that Sharia Law would appeal to me.

I respect the reality that for many millions of Muslims it has an important place in their value systems, which I do not share, and I recognise that it can play a role in securing for Muslims in Britian a recognition of their particular culture and their sense of what is fair. (By analogy, my father was an Irish solicitor and found that Irish farmers and rural people had values in conflict with the legal system imposed by the English and this often led to conflict in relation to the wills and especially the inheritance without wills which he was asked to administer.)

It is also important to understand that Britsh Muslims have many social and business dealings with Muslims in other countries with whom it is helpful to offer ways of resolving disputes and reaching agreements by consent of the parties.

As for colonial and post-colonial practices, it is vital to accept that the development of social and legal systems in Muslim countries is a matter for them to address within their cultures and that imposing Western values simply does not work, but generates hatred and anger whcih in practice makes it harder for them to progress.

I would not, however, accept the idea of allowing Sharia Law to take precedence over English Law in this country. To take one example, I would expect Muslim women to have the right [which indeed they do have of course] to appeal to English law in matters such as marriage and child custody when they choose and for English law to prevail. It is okay while it remains subordinate and applies to very selective areas of community life among Muslims.

Incidentally I am especially aggrieved by the way Britain has sacrificed comprehensive education and allowed the emergence of religious schools, to teach bigotry and segregate Muslims, Jews and various Christian sects, while fee paying private schools further segregate the community in ways that are permanently divisive and harmful. As for the waves of academies, these are an abominations and totally irresponsible. Finland has the best education system in the world based on everyone, rich or poor, going to their local school, with no private schools allowed.
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    04 Sep '17 18:14
    https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/conservative-politician-quite-ashamed-british-post-brexit-gets-irish-passport/04/09/

A Conservative MEP has successfully applied for an Irish passport to retain citizenship of the EU after Brexit. He is able to do this because he has an irish grandmother. I understand that 10% of the population of England has an Irish grandparent. Should be interesting. [Last one out please turn off the lights.]
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Sep '17 08:25
    There's a reason we're much better than migrants.
    We're so blantantly better than those travelling, no good, resource abusing bums!

Go back to your own country and start a call centre!
    Or whatever the hell it is you do in those 3rd world places like Mumbai, Jakarta and Houston.
  11. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    07 Sep '17 12:08
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdq27Y90QQ

The first five or ten minutes of this video has a British GM describing his experience being turned back by US border control, when attempting to attend a chess congress.

Obviously just what the administration intends to achieve.

Why do people not understand that when human rights are attacked it is everybody who suffers, not just the mythical bad guys?
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    07 Sep '17 12:14
    https://www.socialeurope.eu/deja-vu-home-office

This short article derides recent UK government claims to be looking for evidence on the role of migration in the UK economy. It is not looking for balanced evdience, it is looking to hear from its usual suspects while continuing to bury and ignore evisence it does not wish to hear.
  13. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    11 Sep '17 13:41
    https://www.metro.news/new-mum-could-be-torn-from-baby-in-visa-row/738200/

This is becoming like the US laws on miscegenation: the Tories are now dictating to British citizens who they are allowed to marry and calmly disregrarding basic family life, including in this case - not terribly unusual - a mother's right to be with her own newborn child.

Racist immigration laws don't just trash the rights of migrants; they trash all of our rights.
  14. 11 Sep '17 14:19 / 1 edit
    No, this country sacrificed its right to abuse Americans with its self harming Brexit referendum and its election of Treeza Mayhem as Prime Minister.

btw I was not called a 'visitor' but a 'guest'. I don't mind that much - got over English racism as a schoolchld - but the notion that guests like I must "respect" pig ignorant and uncouth English raci ...[text shortened]... What do these oddball racists see when they look in a mirror? Beauty with the wings of an angel?
    They are probably scratching their heads wondering why left wingers get all bent out of shape when jobs go over seas but have no problem when people over seas come to their own country to take jobs.

Makes no sense.

I thought the role of government was helping the poor and redistribution? If so, you should be singing the praises of corporations going to poor countries to give them jobs.
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    11 Sep '17 15:13 / 1 edit
    Continuing the onward march of the pig ignorant feelilng entitled to abuse things they don't even understand (of which whodey is not the only example of course)

http://www.irishnews.com/magazine/daily/2017/09/11/news/woman-accused-of-speaking-foreign-muck-while-speaking-welsh-in-wales-1133576/

A mother has apparently been accused of speaking “foreign muck” while speaking Welsh to her young daughter – in Wales.

“She just came up to me when I was telling my baby what the fruit was in Welsh and was very serious,” Jones, from Lampeter, told the Press Association.

“She said ‘You shouldn’t be talking that foreign muck here’, to which I replied, ‘I was speaking Welsh and this is Wales.'”