Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    26 May '09 14:43
    So, Sotomayor is nominated by Obama to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I think this is a great move.

Obama's arrival to the White House, in my opinion, crowns (in a way) the blood spilled and tears cried in the civil rights movement. Today, almost everybody in the U.S. has internalized that black people deserve respect and to be included just as the white folk.

Now, it is time to go through the same struggle but in favor of Hispanics, because nowadays the "s" word is not as vilified as the "n" word (note to self: bad choice of figure of speech), and I think Obama's inclusion of talented, hard working Hispanics within his scope of action is a signal that he understands that.
  2. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    26 May '09 14:45
    Let's all celebrate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6BzfL8GPzk

I was born by the river in a little tent
    Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
    It's been a long, a long time coming
    But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die
    Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky

I go to the movie and I go downtown somebody keep telling me don't hang around

Then I go to my brother
    And I say brother help me please
    But he winds up knockin' me
    Back down on my knees

Ohhhhhhhhh.....

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
    But now I think I'm able to carry on
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 May '09 14:53
    Originally posted by Seitse
    So, Sotomayor is nominated by Obama to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I think this is a great move.

Obama's arrival to the White House, in my opinion, crowns (in a way) the blood spilled and tears cried in the civil rights movement. Today, almost everybody in the U.S. has internalized that black people deserve respect and to be included just as the white folk. ...[text shortened]... d, hard working Hispanics within his scope of action is a signal that he understands that.
    Not to crow about it... oh what the heck? Yes to crow about it...

I predicted Sotomayor would be the nominee right after Souter retired on this board (see the Souter retiring thread).

I actually was on a jury on a case over which she presided back in 1997, when she was a judge in the Southern District of NY. The case settled before trial so I didn't really get to see her in action.
  4. 26 May '09 15:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not to crow about it... oh what the heck? Yes to crow about it...

I predicted Sotomayor would be the nominee right after Souter retired on this board (see the Souter retiring thread).

I actually was on a jury on a case over which she presided back in 1997, when she was a judge in the Southern District of NY. The case settled before trial so I didn't really get to see her in action.
    Well, she was at the top of the list of most press outlet's most likely candidate list.
  5. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    26 May '09 15:39
    A bird you set free may be caught back, but a word that escapes from your lips will never return as my granny used to say.

Good for your prediction, man.

That is, unfortunately, not the topic of this thread
  6. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    26 May '09 17:27
    Up for woodrow or whatever her nick is.