Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 01 Aug '10 13:09 / 1 edit
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/12/date-shows-pakistan-googling-pornographic-material/

    Is Pakistan the land of the pure? Is it where Islamic purests make their last stand against the "Great Satan" of the Western powers? If so, why then is Pakistan #! in the entire world when it comes to googling porn?

    So is Bin Laden staying up at night planning the demise of all Western powers as he googles girls gone wild in his bunker thinking that he must destroy all Western powers to end his addiction

    OR

    Is Bin Laden staying up at night planning the overthrow of all Western powers as he googles porn thinking that it would be sad to then lose his porn and his subsequent addiction?

    Of course, the Pakistani government has no problem blocking anti-Islamic web sites or blasphamous web sites. In fact, they blocked things like Facebook due to someone starting a "draw Mohammad" site. Why then do they seem unconcerned about porn.....unless they have the same addictions!!
  2. 01 Aug '10 13:12
    Your link is broken. What exactly do you want to discuss? Whether or not Pakistan is "pure"? That doesn't mean anything.
  3. 01 Aug '10 14:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    If so, why then is Pakistan #! in the entire world when it comes to googling porn?
    Presumably because they don't have X-rated videos in video libraries, or X-rated magazines in the news-stands, or 'adult' shops, so Google is their only option.
  4. 01 Aug '10 14:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Presumably because they don't have X-rated videos in video libraries, or X-rated magazines in the news-stands, or 'adult' shops, so Google is their only option.
    So what you are saying is that the morality between Islam and the Western powers is about the same, only, those in Islam must do these things behind closed doors?
  5. 01 Aug '10 14:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Your link is broken. What exactly do you want to discuss? Whether or not Pakistan is "pure"? That doesn't mean anything.
    The powers that be in Pakistan censor material that may be "offensive" to those of the faith of Islam. In other words, any site that may diss Mohammad are blocked, however, sites with show beastiality and pedophilia etc are accessable. Not only are they accessable, they are the most frequented sites those in Pakistan visit. So are words spoken against Mohammad to be blocked but other abominations are allowed?
  6. 01 Aug '10 14:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    Not only are they accessable, they are the most frequented sites those in Pakistan visit.
    Preposterous.
  7. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    01 Aug '10 14:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    The powers that be in Pakistan censor material that may be "offensive" to those of the faith of Islam. In other words, any site that may diss Mohammad are blocked, however, sites with show beastiality and pedophilia etc are accessable. Not only are they accessable, they are the most frequented sites those in Pakistan visit. So are words spoken against Mohammad to be blocked but other abominations are allowed?
    It's such a pity your link in the OP is broken, whodey, because I'd have loved to have seen any evidence to support the suggestion that sites portraying bestiality and paedophilia are "the most frequented sites those in Pakistan visit".
  8. 01 Aug '10 18:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Preposterous.
    My bad. Here is the web site.

    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/12/data-shows-pakistan-googling-pornographic-material/

    The site claims that Pakistan is #1 when it comes to googling beastiality sites as well as rape sites and child porn sites since about 2004.
  9. 01 Aug '10 18:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    My bad. Here is the web site.

    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/12/data-shows-pakistan-googling-pornographic-material/

    The site claims that Pakistan is #1 when it comes to googling beastiality sites as well as rape sites and child porn sites since about 2004.
    Well, I don't see the "irony" that Fox News sees. Surely, if many of the 'traditional' ways of obtaining sex are blocked or hampered, the low-risk method of the internet is going to see an increase.
  10. 01 Aug '10 18:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    My bad. Here is the web site.

    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/12/data-shows-pakistan-googling-pornographic-material/

    The site claims that Pakistan is #1 when it comes to googling beastiality sites as well as rape sites and child porn sites since about 2004.
    "Pakistan is top dog in searches per-person for "horse sex" since 2004, "donkey sex" since 2007, "rape pictures" between 2004 and 2009, "rape sex" since 2004, "child sex" between 2004 and 2007 and since 2009, "animal sex" since 2004 and "dog sex" since 2005, according to Google Trends and Google Insights, features of Google that generate data based on popular search terms."

    hey, at least they're not hypocrates on their opposition to homosexuality, there's nothing here about "gay sex". LOL
  11. 01 Aug '10 20:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, I don't see the "irony" that Fox News sees. Surely, if many of the 'traditional' ways of obtaining sex are blocked or hampered, the low-risk method of the internet is going to see an increase.
    The irony is that Pakistan is full of a bunch of Islamic talking heads who preach that the West is the "Great Satan". The implication being that their morality is superior to that of the West simply on the basis that they are Muslims. However, other than their devotion to Mohammad there seems to be precious little difference between the two peoples other than the fact that they enjoy internet porn more than those in the West. In addition, beastiality is an abomination just as the lampooning of Mohammad. Why then is the state only concerned with censorship when it comes to blocking sites that belittle Mohammad?
  12. 02 Aug '10 10:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    The irony is that Pakistan is full of a bunch of Islamic talking heads who preach that the West is the "Great Satan". The implication being that their morality is superior to that of the West simply on the basis that they are Muslims. However, other than their devotion to Mohammad there seems to be precious little difference between the two peoples other th ...[text shortened]... e state only concerned with censorship when it comes to blocking sites that belittle Mohammad?
    Pakistan is full of ordinary people who are just trying to make a living. The average Pakistani doesn't give a rat's bottom about "the West".

    As for why these sites aren't censored - I'm sure a lot of porn sites are blocked in Pakistan, but considering the vast volumes of porn on the internet it's going to be tremendously difficult to block it all. Also, do you think that every single site that belittles Mohammed is blocked in Pakistan? Of course not.
  13. 02 Aug '10 12:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    The site claims that Pakistan is #1 when it comes to googling beastiality sites as well as rape sites and child porn sites since about 2004.
    But googling stats are totally different from accessing stats. People who google do so because they don't know where to find what they want.
    So the explanation could be far simpler, for example any of the following could fully or partially explain it:
    1. Google is a more popular per capita search engine in Pakistan than elsewhere.
    2. More people per capita have internet access than some other counties.
    3. Word of mouth and adverts for popular porn sites is not available, so people google.
    4. Most sites are blocked so people are forced to google more to find what they want.
    5. People do not have credit cards, so instead of signing up to a single site and paying for it, they keep googling for freebies.
    6. Alternative sources such as torrents are more restricted or the people are not tech-savvy enough to use them.
    7. The 'competition' is only amongst English speaking countries. The search phrases in question were all in English. Most other countries probably have porn sites in their home languages and they would have used their own language when searching, so those searches were excluded from the stats.

    I am sure there are many more possible reasons.
  14. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    02 Aug '10 12:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    My bad. Here is the web site.

    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/12/data-shows-pakistan-googling-pornographic-material/

    The site claims that Pakistan is #1 when it comes to googling beastiality sites as well as rape sites and child porn sites since about 2004.
    You do understand the difference between "claims that Pakistan is #1 when it comes to googling beastiality sites as well as rape sites and child porn sites since about 2004" and your earlier suggestion that sites portraying bestiality and paedophilia are "the most frequented sites those in Pakistan visit", don't you?