Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 03:091 edit
    I've often wondered why rape in prison on such a large scale is tolerated in a so called civil society. From what I've read rapes per year range from around 60 to 200,000 per year. The problem is actually finding people to report them who fear what will happen to them if they rat others out.

These are the reasons I've come up with as to why it is tolerated.

1. Prisoners are looked upon as "bad" and needing to be punished. What punishment is as bad?
    2. Prisoners are often disenfranchised to begin with, which is part of why they wound up in prison in the first place. Why should society then care about people who no one cared about before?
    3. Rape in prison is a deterrent. It is perhaps the number one fear of breaking the law.

Can anyone think of other reasons?

So should this continue to be overlooked?
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 04:27
    Too many prisoners and not enough funding for the prisons.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 04:55
    People don't care as much about male rape victims. People also care even less about male criminals getting raped.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 05:06
    Actually, the high number of rapes, as well as prison gangs, seems to indicate that prisoners are running the show. The point of prison is defeated if you're living a life where you have power are feared (songs have sex) like some character in a gangster movie.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 09:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    I've often wondered why rape in prison on such a large scale is tolerated in a so called civil society. From what I've read rapes per year range from around 60 to 200,000 per year. The problem is actually finding people to report them who fear what will happen to them if they rat others out.

These are the reasons I've come up with as to why it is tolerat ...[text shortened]... king the law.

Can anyone think of other reasons?

So should this continue to be overlooked?
    Rape is not sexual but concerned with power and dominance. You are referring to behaviour among men in enclosed spaces without constructive activity and without effective social structures. I am surprised Americans have not yet caught onto the Roman idea of using prisons for (violent) entertainment. You use every other trick in the book to use prisons for making a profit.

Americans have zero interest let alone concern for the fate of the ridiculous proportion of their population incarcerated in disgusting prisons operated for profit by cynical companies.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 11:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Too many prisoners and not enough funding for the prisons.
    Why did I not put this down. Everything is about money. :'(
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 11:39
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Rape is not sexual but concerned with power and dominance. You are referring to behaviour among men in enclosed spaces without constructive activity and without effective social structures. I am surprised Americans have not yet caught onto the Roman idea of using prisons for (violent) entertainment. You use every other trick in the book to use prisons for m ...[text shortened]... of their population incarcerated in disgusting prisons operated for profit by cynical companies.
    I wonder what would happen if prisoners began filing law suits against jails for letting them get raped.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 14:22
    Rape is not sexual but concerned with power and dominance. You are referring to behaviour among men in enclosed spaces without constructive activity and without effective social structures. I am surprised Americans have not yet caught onto the Roman idea of using prisons for (violent) entertainment. You use every other trick in the book to use prisons for m ...[text shortened]... of their population incarcerated in disgusting prisons operated for profit by cynical companies.
    "Americans have" this. "Americans have" that.

Geez. Could you be any more arrogant and condescending?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 14:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    "Americans have" this. "Americans have" that.

Geez. Could you be any more arrogant and condescending?
    Americans have the highest incarceration rates in the world.

That's not arrogant, or condescending, its just plain fact.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 14:28
    Originally posted by vivify
    The point of prison is defeated if.....
    What is the point of prison?
    I think that should be the question to answer before dealing with the question of the OP.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 14:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    These are the reasons I've come up with as to why it is tolerated.

1. Prisoners are looked upon as "bad" and needing to be punished. What punishment is as bad?
    2. Prisoners are often disenfranchised to begin with, which is part of why they wound up in prison in the first place. Why should society then care about people who no one cared about before?
    3. Rape in prison is a deterrent. It is perhaps the number one fear of breaking the law.
    I agree with you. Probably the first whodey thread that actually made sense.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 16:22
    It's happening, and it's reasonable that this example is not the only one.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sf-staged-inmate-fights-20150326-story.html
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 16:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is the point of prison?
    I think that should be the question to answer before dealing with the question of the OP.
    Prison is punitive. Like an adult version of 'time out'. Prison should also be rehabilitative, and there are prison programs aimed to do that. I'm not sure of what the success rates may be.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 16:48
    Originally posted by vivify
    Prison is punitive.
    Is it? Is that the primary intention? In some cases, it is intended to simply keep dangerous folks away from the rest of us. Life imprisonment is like that.

Prison should also be rehabilitative, and there are prison programs aimed to do that.
    I agree.

I'm not sure of what the success rates may be.
    Good enough that it makes sense to do it.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '15 18:171 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Americans have the highest incarceration rates in the world.

That's not arrogant, or condescending, its just plain fact.
    If you don't put criminals in jail you don't have high incarceration rates.

Of course if you just beat them with canes or put them to death you don't have high incarceration rates either.

In any case, it just goes to demonstrate the greatness of multiculturalism.