Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member RBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    23 Jun '16 14:10
    https://m.reddit.com/r/badhistory/comments/2q5h16/the_whites_owning_black_slaves_in_america_hoax/
  2. 23 Jun '16 14:31
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    https://m.reddit.com/r/badhistory/comments/2q5h16/the_whites_owning_black_slaves_in_america_hoax/
    can't get outraged over this, it's just that hilariously stupid
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    23 Jun '16 15:52 / 1 edit
    Not so shocking.

Holocaust denial stories are thick as fleas on a Great Dane's back in a swamp and that ended only 71 years ago.

It stands to reason there'd be some yo-yos out there denying slavery which occurred in an era from which we have no survivors alive today and for which there is no video and little photographic evidence.
  4. 27 Jun '16 03:26
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not so shocking.

Holocaust denial stories are thick as fleas on a Great Dane's back in a swamp and that ended only 71 years ago.

It stands to reason there'd be some yo-yos out there denying slavery which occurred in an era from which we have no survivors alive today and for which there is no video and little photographic evidence.
    There have been all kinds of things like this. The flat earthers, holocaust deniers, government entities labeling the founding fathers as terrorists etc… Some of this horse pucky is so obviously wrong that is conditions people to ignor information on the internet. There is some really good info on the internet that the mainstream media will not cover that the establishment would want ignored. Psyop??
  5. 27 Jun '16 03:51
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    The scary part is, the Holocaust deniers seem to be out reproducing their counterparts.

Soon it may be listed as a hoax in the public school text books.
  6. 27 Jun '16 08:29 / 2 edits
    I have always found it strange that African Americans seem to have a kind of monopoly on slavery as if it had never happened to anyone else when infact the Romans enslaved millions of Europeans and others with equal if not more brutality. This is of course not to diminish what happened to slaves in America and elsewhere but it simply puts it in historical context.

Something similar seems to have happened with the genocide of Jews from Europe. They now are perceived to have a kind of monopoly on holocausts when it is clear that there have been other devastating holocausts elsewhere some of which have still to even be given recognition. Infact its often viewed as a singularity and termed The Holocaust. Again its not to diminish what transpired but it certainly not The only mass genocide in history, one may speak of the Armenian Holocaust, the American Indian Holocaust, The Herero Holocaust with equal moral equivalence.
  7. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    27 Jun '16 11:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have always found it strange that African Americans seem to have a kind of monopoly on slavery as if it had never happened to anyone else when infact the Romans enslaved millions of Europeans and others with equal if not more brutality. This is of course not to diminish what happened to slaves in America and elsewhere but it simply puts it in hist ...[text shortened]... ian Holocaust, the American Indian Holocaust, The Herero Holocaust with equal moral equivalence.
    The transatlantic slave trade was particularly brutal. The conditions of the passage across were severe, there are documented cases of the slaves being thrown overboard en masse when the ships were in trouble, and the conditions within the plantations were worse than they would have been had slaves been less easily obtained.

The Romans were brutal, but not noticeably more so than the societies that came before them, they'd only just ceased the practice of human sacrifice by the start of the Imperial era. By the eighteenth Century Europeans (I mean ethnic Europeans resident in any part of the world) had been building theories concerning the "Rights of Man" - having those rights seems to have depended on skin colour.
  8. 27 Jun '16 13:53
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The transatlantic slave trade was particularly brutal. The conditions of the passage across were severe, there are documented cases of the slaves being thrown overboard en masse when the ships were in trouble, and the conditions within the plantations were worse than they would have been had slaves been less easily obtained.

The Romans were brutal, b ...[text shortened]... ries concerning the "Rights of Man" - having those rights seems to have depended on skin colour.
    Yes but African Americans don't have a monopoly on being the victims of slavery and the Jews don't have a monopoly on being victims of genocide, this was my point.
  9. 27 Jun '16 18:17
    I have always found it strange that African Americans seem to have a kind of monopoly on slavery as if it had never happened to anyone else when infact the Romans enslaved millions of Europeans and others with equal if not more brutality. This is of course not to diminish what happened to slaves in America and elsewhere but it simply puts it in hist ...[text shortened]... ian Holocaust, the American Indian Holocaust, The Herero Holocaust with equal moral equivalence.
    If one was to listen to the music of the people to whom you refer, a person would hear a lot of I I me I me me I I me me I I me me I me etc...
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    27 Jun '16 18:27
    It didn't happen to anyone else in the USA.
  11. 27 Jun '16 18:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It didn't happen to anyone else in the USA.
    Its not entirely clear what you are meaning or its too subtle for me to grasp. I suspect that its a reference to the USA as being conditioned into not caring very much about events beyond its own borders
  12. 27 Jun '16 18:39
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    If one was to listen to the music of the people to whom you refer, a person would hear a lot of I I me I me me I I me me I I me me I me etc...
    I think its just a conditioning of the mind somehow.
  13. 27 Jun '16 19:26
    Its not entirely clear what you are meaning or its too subtle for me to grasp.
    If you listen to US news then expect to get a US perspective. In fact, I bet that your image of black slavery is mostly in the deep south of the US and you haven't even considered the Caribbean or Brazil.
    If you listened to more Chinese news you would have thought that the Japanese had the monopoly on massacres.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    27 Jun '16 19:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you listen to US news then expect to get a US perspective. In fact, I bet that your image of black slavery is mostly in the deep south of the US and you haven't even considered the Caribbean or Brazil.
    If you listened to more Chinese news you would have thought that the Japanese had the monopoly on massacres.
    Also Africa and Arabia had lots of black slaves
  15. 27 Jun '16 19:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie to DeepThought
    Yes but African Americans don't have a monopoly on being the victims of slavery
    and the Jews don't have a monopoly on being victims of genocide, this was my point.
    I already have mentioned this book:
    _The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in America_
    by Andres Resendez (2016)

Andres Resendez (who was born and grew up in Mexico) is a professor of history in the USA.