Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:12
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/03/12/critics-say-entertainer-bruno-mars-is-the-wrong-type-of-person-of-color-to-sing-black-music

Is he black enough or is he a fraud?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:331 edit
    Is one YouTube channel that most people have never heard of enough to base an entire article on?

Anyway, Bruno hasn't been doing "black music". He sings a lot of soulful songs, but I doubt that alone makes something "black music". Other than dancing like James Brown on the Superbowl and making a music video referencing a black '90's TV show, I can't think of anything Mars has been making that's black music.

I will say that his lyrics, every since "Uptown Funk", have been more and more like a rapper's: full of self-aggrandizing, cocky, and boastful lyrics. The closest Bruno comes to being like an actual rapper is that song "24 K Magic". But to me, he's never actually crossed that threshold.

I'm familiar enough with Bruno Mars to know that this article by the Blaze is mere click-bate, as well as the YouTube video they're referencing.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:42
    Furthermore, there's already been a number of non-blacks topping charts with "black music" recently. Cardi B is a Hispanic rapper and had the number one pop song in the country early last year. Non-blacks (including whites) doing "black music" is nothing new.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:56
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/03/12/critics-say-entertainer-bruno-mars-is-the-wrong-type-of-person-of-color-to-sing-black-music

Is he black enough or is he a fraud?
    Some Nazis regarded it as wrong for an 'Aryan' to like or play 'Jewish music' or 'black music'.
    Jazz (and black musicians) had developed a considerable following in pre-Nazi Berlin.

Hans-Jochen Marseille, a famous fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe, was known for his love of
    jazz and his broader interest in 'black culture'. He lived with his black valet (a South African POW
    who voluntarily worked for the Germans), who became perhaps his closest friend in the field.
    Some racist Nazis were offended by his embrace of 'black culture' or black people.
    But, as a national hero, Hans Jochen-Marseille could hardly be severely punished for it.
    His black valet survived the war and eventually returned to South Africa without the authorities
    there ever apparently acquiring enough evidence to charge him with collaborating with the Germans.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:58
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Is one YouTube channel that most people have never heard of enough to base an entire article on?

Anyway, Bruno hasn't been doing "black music". He sings a lot of soulful songs, but I doubt that alone makes something "black music". Other than dancing like James Brown on the Superbowl and making a music video referencing a black '90's TV show, I can't thi ...[text shortened]... this article by the Blaze is mere click-bate, as well as the YouTube video they're referencing.
    Oh good, someone who understands the race thingy.

So what is black music?

Moreover, for the sake of argument, if he was singing black music would it be OK if he is not black enough?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 21:051 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Some Nazis regarded it as wrong for an 'Aryan' to like or play 'Jewish music' or 'black music'.
    Jazz (and black musicians) had developed a considerable following in pre-Nazi Berlin.

Hans-Jochen Marseille, a famous fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe, was known for his love of
    jazz and his broader interest in 'black culture'. He lived with his black valet ...[text shortened]... ere ever apparently acquiring enough evidence to charge him with collaborating with the Germans.
    Yes, if anyone understands black and Jewish music, etc., it would be a Nazi or Progressive.

Look, another Godwin angel just got it's wings.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 21:192 edits
    Oh good, someone who understands the race thingy.

So what is black music?

Moreover, for the sake of argument, if he was singing black music would it be OK if he is not black enough?
    I was a huge fan of Eminem growing up. (he's trash now). I don't care about whites using a black art form. Music is music, and it's dumb to limit anyone when it comes to art.
  8. Standard membershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 21:44
    Who the hell is Bruno Marx?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 21:45
    I was a huge fan of Eminem growing up. (he's trash now). I don't care about whites performers using a black art form. Music is music, and it's dumb to limit anyone when it comes to art.
    I don't have any problem with it either but it appears the PC police do.

I was hoping on understanding this better but I still am at a loss.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 21:451 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Who the hell is Bruno Marx?
    You know, the son of your buddy Karl.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 22:141 edit
    I don't have any problem with it either but it appears the PC police do.
    One obscure person on YouTube does not make the "PC police".
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    13 Mar '18 05:45
  13. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Mar '18 06:19
    This is the sort of arguing that just eats people alive.

I understand how gritty hip hop can be thought of as partikcularly related to black struggles but I think if you are pretending that some guy singing stupid pop music with soulful vocals is something that only specifically African-Americans have a monopoly on... that's just ridiculous.

Of course, I doubt anyone here takes this argument too seriously most of the time.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '18 10:04
    hehe troll makes a stupid thread, gets fed again
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '18 14:23
    Furthermore, there's already been a number of non-blacks topping charts with "black music" recently. Cardi B is a Hispanic rapper and had the number one pop song in the country early last year. Non-blacks (including whites) doing "black music" is nothing new.
    Not to mention non-whites singing "white" music.

Shall we also forbid BeyoncÄ— to sing the Stars and Stripes? (Don't answer that, I've heard her, we should stop her singing full stoo...)