Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 09:401 edit
    I am of the opinion that if you feel the need to say about something that it's "technically legal", it should bloody be illegal

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

The gist of this 3 part piece is that prosecutors can do whatever the fuk they want.

Also, cy vance accepted campaign donations from law firms he can potentially go against in court. How the fuk is this legal, americans?
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 15:543 edits
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    I am of the opinion that if you feel the need to say about something that it's "technically legal", it should bloody be illegal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2X78ZvfF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j_giyX24zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2jpKfgKko

The gist of this 3 part piece is that prosecutors can do whatever the fuk they want.
    ...[text shortened]... ons from law firms he can potentially go against in court. How the fuk is this legal, americans?
    Though there are some grains of truth in this, I disagree with much of it. In a plea bargain the prosecutor is NOT the judge and jury, prosecutors CANNOT " can do whatever the fuk they want" The defendant does not have to agree to a plea bargain and can go to trial if they wish, they have the right to appeal the verdict, and I would also add that well over 85% of the defendants that were arrested are guilty in the first place.

The justice systems in America, Europe, Canada, Australia and most of the developed world, while not perfect, do work reasonably well and get it right most of the time. So spare me your moral outrage. If you're looking for perfect justice you won't find it on this planet.😲
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 17:24
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Though there are some grains of truth in this, I disagree with much of it. In a plea bargain the prosecutor is NOT the judge and jury, prosecutors CANNOT " can do whatever the fuk they want" The defendant does not have to agree to a plea bargain and can go to trial if they wish, they have the right to appeal the verdict, and I would also add that well over ...[text shortened]... me your moral outrage. If you're looking for perfect justice you won't find it on this planet.😲
    i post examples of how prosecutors have too much power and how it affects the american system, how there are real problems with how they are elected, how they conduct business, how they have too little oversight and how they are rarely (if ever) punished for misconduct.

I then make a hyperbolic statement that anyone but the most brain dead would know not to take literally and what do you do?
    You take it literally.

Yes, you are right, prosecutors cannot actually do whatever the fuk they want. They can't take a dump on the judge's desk. they cannot prosecute naked. They cannot conjure a unicorn in court.

Of course, no crap post would be complete without some logical fallacies.
    "The justice systems in America, Europe, Canada, Australia and most of the developed world, while not perfect, do work reasonably well and get it right most of the time."
    Faced with a problem, your response is to say the system overall works well enough. I am not talking about the system overall, i am talking about a specific problem. A problem that can be fixed so that well enough becomes better.

"If you're looking for perfect justice you won't find it on this planet."
    A strawman holding a nirvana fallacy.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 17:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2X78ZvfF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j_giyX24zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2jpKfgKko

...[text shortened]... ons from law firms he can potentially go against in court. How the fuk is this legal, americans?
    If your name is Clinton then it is technically legal.

If your name is Flynn then it is illegal.

Pretty simple really.
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 17:45
    i post examples of how prosecutors have too much power and how it affects the american system, how there are real problems with how they are elected, how they conduct business, how they have too little oversight and how they are rarely (if ever) punished for misconduct.

I then make a hyperbolic statement that anyone but the most brain dead would know no ...[text shortened]... ng for perfect justice you won't find it on this planet."
    A strawman holding a nirvana fallacy.
    Faced with a problem, your response is to say the system overall works well enough. I am not talking about the system overall, i am talking about a specific problem. A problem that can be fixed so that well enough becomes better.

Well, If you have a solution to this "specific problem" I like to hear what it is.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 01:272 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

Well, If you have a solution to this "specific problem" I like to hear what it is.
    how about you stop electing your prosecutors, hmm?
    how about you make it illegal for them to get any donations?
    how about you make it an imprisonable offence to withhold evidence?
    how about you get prosecutors to maybe not be 90%or more white males. throw in a black woman once in a while.

just off the top of my head. something you could have done yourself if you were willing to put in some minimal effort or actually watched the videos.
  7. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 06:25
    how about you stop electing your prosecutors, hmm?
    how about you make it illegal for them to get any donations?
    how about you make it an imprisonable offence to withhold evidence?
    how about you get prosecutors to maybe not be 90%or more white males. throw in a black woman once in a while.

just off the top of my head. something you could have done yourself if you were willing to put in some minimal effort or actually watched the videos.
    Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch come to mind