Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 23:191 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/20/muslim-terror-attacks-press-coverage-study

"Terror attacks by Muslims receive 357% more press attention, study finds:
    Research by the University of Alabama shows attacks by Muslims
    receive an average of 105 headlines, others just 15."

"Terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists receive 357% more
    US press coverage than those committed by non-Muslims, according
    to new research from the University of Alabama. The researchers controlled
    for factors like target type, number of fatalities, and whether or not the
    perpetrators were arrested before reaching their final statistic....

The findings, which are illustrated below, were based on all terrorist attacks
    in the US between 2006 and 2015 according to the Global Terrorism Database.
    The disparity in media coverage is particularly out of sync with the reality
    given that white and rightwing terrorists carried out nearly twice as many
    terrorist attacks as Muslim extremists between 2008 and 2016."
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 23:24
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/jul/20/white-fright-the-plot-to-attack-muslims-that-the-us-media-ignored

"In 2015, the community of Islamberg discovered that a Tennessee minister was plotting
    the deadliest attack on US soil since 9/11 against their village. Why have Americans heard
    nothing about him, and why has the safety of this community been ignored?"

"On 10 April 2015, the FBI quietly arrested Robert Doggart, a white, 63-year-old Christian
    minister, after they discovered he was plotting an attack against Islamberg, a small
    African American Muslim community in upstate New York. Inspired by claims on Fox News
    that the community was a terrorist training camp, Doggart discussed firebombing a mosque
    and a school in the village, and using assault rifles and a machete to murder the residents.

No terrorism charges were brought against Doggart. No national news outlets covered
    his arrest, and one month after he was taken into custody, a judge released him on bail.
    As Doggart's case went before an all-white jury, White Fright examined the US’s inconsistent
    system of national security, the media’s role in exacerbating terrorist threats, and the
    failure to protect vulnerable communities from racist attacks."
  3. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 00:36
    (1) DO you think it is because Muslims are far more likely to do deadly terror attacks?

It is possible, after all, to be charged with terrorism for like... putting a ham sandwich on a mosque's door.

(2) I think sometimes a person is not charged with plotting a terrorist attack because they ar ementally unstable.

And hurray for the police when they do that -- I do not want a shcizophrenic who just needs a good doctor and a live-in hospital room to be rotting in a jail cell because of what they were rambling when their emotions were a mess and their disease was attacking their mind.

I am open to the idea that Muslims are targeted with these investigations and I am open to the idea that too many Muslim mentally unwell people shouldn't have been charged with plotting terrorism, but please don't ask that we just start jailing non-Muslism at a higher rate.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 00:396 edits
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    (1) DO you think it is because Muslims are far more likely to do deadly terror attacks?

It is possible, after all, to be charged with terrorism for like... putting a ham sandwich on a mosque's door.

(2) I think sometimes a person is not charged with plotting a terrorist attack because they ar ementally unstable.

And hurray for the police when ...[text shortened]... ing terrorism,[/i] but please don't ask that we just start jailing non-Muslism at a higher rate.
    Philokalia (who hates Muslims) ignores all evidence that does not conform with his fanatical prejudices.

"The findings, which are illustrated below, were based on all terrorist attacks
    in the US between 2006 and 2015 according to the Global Terrorism Database.
    The disparity in media coverage is particularly out of sync with the reality given that
    WHITE AND RIGHTWING TERRORISTS CARRIED OUT NEARLY TWICE AS MANY
    TERRORIST ATTACKS AS MUSLIM EXTREMISTS between 2008 and 2016."

"...because Muslims are far more likely to do deadly terror attacks..."
    --Philokalia

That's a BIG LIE that Philokalia and other hateful Islamophobes will keep repeating to deceive the gullible.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 01:30
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/20/muslim-terror-attacks-press-coverage-study

"Terror attacks by Muslims receive 357% more press attention, study finds:
    Research by the University of Alabama shows attacks by Muslims
    receive an average of 105 headlines, others just 15."

"Terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists receive 357% mor ...[text shortened]... arried out nearly twice as many
    terrorist attacks as Muslim extremists between 2008 and 2016."
    I would venture to say that people in general are more concerned with Islamic terror.

Reason being, Islamic terror leads the world in terrorism and is world wide and growing.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 07:50
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I would venture to say that people in general are more concerned with Islamic terror.

Reason being, Islamic terror leads the world in terrorism and is world wide and growing.
    Terrorist attacks committed by Muslim extremists receive 357% more US press coverage than those committed by non-Muslims, according to new research from the University of Alabama. The researchers controlled for factors like target type, number of fatalities, and whether or not the perpetrators were arrested before reaching their final statistic.

(emphasis added)
  7. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 07:57
    Originally posted by @whodey

I would be more concerned walking into a school in the US than being afraid of a (Muslim) terror attack.

In which period does the Islamic terror lead the world in terrorism? One year, five years, 30 years?
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 08:55
    Originally posted by @lundos
    I would be more concerned walking into a school in the US than being afraid of a (Muslim) terror attack.

In which period does the Islamic terror lead the world in terrorism? One year, five years, 30 years?
    I agree, Americas NRA culture is not making schools very safe at all.