Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 22:501 edit
    http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2017/02/27/texas-lawmakers-advance-bill-that-would-allow-doctors-to-lie-to-pregnant-women

"Texas Lawmakers Advance Bill That Would Allow Doctors to Lie to Pregnant Women"

"This morning, the Texas Senate Committee on State Affairs
    unanimously passed a bill on to the full Senate that would let the
    government decide what a pregnant woman deserves to know about the
    health of her unborn child.

Committee members, it appears, believe it should be up to the doctor to
    decide if a pregnant woman should know she's carrying a fetus with
    severe disabilities — especially if the doctor suspects she'll have an
    abortion if she finds out. If passed, the law would make it impossible for
    Texans to sue a doctor for intentionally withholding this kind of
    information about a fetus' health."

"The bill, as currently drafted, would not only empower doctors to keep
    secrets from their patients about their own bodies, but would also
    entrust the government to make one of the most personal, private, and
    life-altering decisions for Texan woman: whether they should have an abortion.
    For many low-income women, the alternative — raising a severely
    disabled child in a state with few affordable health insurance options —
    would force them into poverty."

"SB 25 is a not-so-subtle way to give medical personnel the opportunity
    to impose religious beliefs on women."
    --Margaret Johnson
  2. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 03:42
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2017/02/27/texas-lawmakers-advance-bill-that-would-allow-doctors-to-lie-to-pregnant-women

"Texas Lawmakers Advance Bill That Would Allow Doctors to Lie to Pregnant Women"

govern ...[text shortened]... medical personnel the opportunity
    --Margaret Johnson
    It never ceases to amaze me that there are large numbers of religious men who consider themselves true Patriots of the highest order, defenders of the faith, defenders of the constitution, who nevertheless are unable to check their hypocrisy in matters of personal freedom, such that they supplant unity with uniformity to the extent that your right to freedom can only be respected and upheld by them if it conforms to their pedantic interpretation of it.

And yet it's Muslims, who don't understand freedom, it's Muslims, that want to usher in Sharia Law.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 04:54
    Originally posted by kmax87
    It never ceases to amaze me that there are large numbers of religious men who consider themselves true Patriots of the highest order, defenders of the faith, defenders of the constitution, who nevertheless are unable to check their hypocrisy in matters of personal freedom, such that they supplant unity with uniformity to the extent that your right to freedom ...[text shortened]... yet it's Muslims, who don't understand freedom, it's Muslims, that want to usher in Sharia Law.
    Well said.

This makes me angry.

I wonder if a similar law allowing doctors to keep knowledge of prostate cancer away from men would pass so easily?

When will these men stop relegating women to the same class as slaves, undeserving of the right to determine what happens to their own bodies and unable to make their own decisions?

This is abominable and pathetic. I hope these lawmakers get sued for everything they own for playing God. They have zero right to make decisions for these voting American citizens. It's totally unconscionable. Texas needs to be added to the list of states with human rights violations by Amnesty International.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 10:05

govern ...[text shortened]... medical personnel the opportunity
    --Margaret Johnson
    Are you so surprised? This is their agenda, and they are not going to change.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 14:44
    The logic is simple. If you have to lie to "save a life", lie. The result of that lie can't be as bad as losing that life.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 15:02
    "SB 25 is a not-so-subtle way to give medical personnel the opportunity
    --Margaret Johnson
    Having lived in Texas for the better part of 45 years this does not surprise me .
    In the 1950's we had "yellow dog democrats". In the 1960's after Lyndon Johnson signed civil rights legislation they became "yellow dog republicans" .
    In Texas, ignorance has been raised to an art form. 🙄🙄🙄
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Mar '17 22:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Kmax87
    Well said.
    This makes me angry.

I wonder if a similar law allowing doctors to keep knowledge of prostate cancer away from men would pass so easily?

When will these men stop relegating women to the same class as slaves, undeserving of the right to determine what happens to their own bodies and unable to make their own decisions?

This is a ...[text shortened]... s needs to be added to the list of states with human rights violations by Amnesty International.
    Suzianne, do you feel safer in Arizona about your right to choose?

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/arizona-law/arizona-abortion-laws.html

"Arizona state politicians have consistently pushed to curb and limit abortion rights via
    statute. Not all of these laws have survived court review, however. Arizona abortion laws
    have repeatedly been challenged in federal appeals courts on constitutionality grounds.
    The legal challenges to state abortion laws have made national headlines.

In 2012, an Arizona abortion law was passed that prohibited abortions, except in certain
    medical emergencies, when the fetus reaches 20 weeks gestation, dated from the
    woman’s last menstrual period. The law’s definition of medical emergency was narrow,
    encompassing conditions requiring an immediate abortion to avert a pregnant woman’s
    death or a “serious risk of substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function,"

In 2013, a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
    ruled the law was unconstitutional..."
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Mar '17 21:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Kmax87
    Well said.
    This makes me angry.

This is a ...[text shortened]... s needs to be added to the list of states with human rights violations by Amnesty International.
    "When will these men stop relegating women to the same class as slaves ..."
    --Suzianne

A better analogy would be to say 'the same class as children ...'
    A woman's apparently presumed to lack the mental or moral capability to make her own reproductive decisions.

"I hope these lawmakers get sued for everything they own for playing God."
    --Suzianne

How many of these politicians will adopt severely disabled children?