Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 17:22
    Yeah, I was just reading the BBC on the US election results being a mixed bag.

But then I thought: wait a minute... why are there loads of elections now and then, again, in November?

And are these and those (choose whichever is the former and the latter) about both houses? Or just one?

Cheers.
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 17:25
    The primary elections (most of the current ones) are within the parties to decide who the public gets to vote for in November. It’s like voting for team captains before the game.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 17:56
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    The primary elections (most of the current ones) are within the parties to decide who the public gets to vote for in November. It’s like voting for team captains before the game.
    But I am reading about democrats winning / losing / too close to count with republicants, aren’t I??
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 19:08
    In Ohio yes but where else? Ohio has some kind of “special election” going on.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    But I am reading about democrats winning / losing / too close to count with republicants, aren’t I??
    These are usually "special elections" to replace people who left to go be a part of Trump's Swamp. Or people who resigned, for whatever reason.
  6. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 00:512 edits
    Yeah, I was just reading the BBC on the US election results being a mixed bag.

But then I thought: wait a minute... why are there loads of elections now and then, again, in November?

And are these and those (choose whichever is the former and the latter) about both houses? Or just one?

Cheers.
    The one special election for congressman in Ohio is only until November. In November, they have to have another election all over again. So far it is still to close to call with a only few thousand votes uncounted and the Republican leading by just over 1000 votes. Either way, they have to do it all over again in November. So this election is only for three months or so.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 03:30
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    These are usually "special elections" to replace people who left to go be a part of Trump's Swamp. Or people who resigned, for whatever reason.
    Or go to jail for insider trading.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 07:34
    Thank you all.

Bit mad funding an election for a 3 month period, but if that’s the rules, they’s the rules.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '18 13:21
    its just the way a juvenile mind works I guess
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 13:25
    The Cook Political Report writes that Democrats have overperformed by 8 points in nine special elections this cycle. If that trend holds nationwide on Nov. 6, Democrats would pick up 81 seats – well more than the 23 needed to flip the House.

http://thehill.com/homenews/morning-report/401206-the-hills-morning-report-mueller-kobach-manafort

That total is a tad unlikely, but who knows? The Democrats have been overperforming compared to recent history in races across the country in the last year.