Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Jul '10 04:48
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703724104575379630952309408.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
  2. 25 Jul '10 04:49
    from a Democratic Senator!

he'll soon feel the heat under his toes ...
  3. 25 Jul '10 17:29
    You constantly enjoy white privilege, but don't see it. You are less likely to be pulled over if you're driving in the middle of the night, especially if with friends or in an upper class neighborhood. Many companies are still more likely to pay attention to your resume or job application if your name is James than Dayquann. People are less fearful of you when you're walking down the street or going into a convenience store late at night, not because your name starts with a Z like Zorro's, but because you're white. Parents aren't likely to tell their children that they can't play with yours, eat with yours, or go play at your house because of your skin color. If you want to buy wrapping paper or a birthday card, wedding card, baby card, etc., you can easily find cards and paper with white people on them. When was the last time you saw an Asian-looking bride and groom on a card? You have the privilege of going through life in a place that is geared toward making you feel comfortable and included. Affirmative Action and other programs aren't going to erase that, nor have they equalized it yet.
  4. Standard member Elamef37
    Queenslander
    25 Jul '10 17:36
    7.30am 25th July : Dear Diary, had me cuppa and smoke, and a morning glory fart, I'm bored, so I might go and have a look at this amren.com site. See what the go is there!

6.30pm,25th July : Dear Diary, I'm back again. Geez, I read this 'article', Diversity and The Myth of White Privilege' and lo and behold, what a coincidence!!!!.....zedbot, he done post a thread, 'The Myth of White Privilege'!!! It just happened to be the 'top article' of the day!!!

Diary, I wanna know,

: What's the debate? How privileged does he feel? if not, why? why? why? Does he have issues? What's his take on James Webb? Is it Obama's fault, he aint privileged?

Yes zedbot, I can see it's no amren.com link, but the thought was there, wasn't it
  5. 25 Jul '10 18:41
    You constantly enjoy white privilege, but don't see it. You are less likely to be pulled over if you're driving in the middle of the night, especially if with friends or in an upper class neighborhood.

How you are dressed and what kind of car you are driving probably has a lot to do with it too. I don't see this privledge because I don't drive around much in the middle of the night. I'm usually asleep because I have to go to work the next day.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Jul '10 20:10
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703724104575379630952309408.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
    Right wingers like to pretend that the only racism that exists anymore is that by blacks directed at whites, but numerous studies continue to show that racial discrimination is pervasive in many areas. Here's a recent example regarding jury selection in the South: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/us/02jury.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Jul '10 20:15
    Field experiments offer a direct measure of discrimination
    in real-world contexts. In these experiments,
    typically referred to as audit studies,
    researchers carefully select, match, and train individuals
    (called testers) to play the part of a
    job/apartment-seeker or consumer. By presenting
    equally qualified individuals who differ only
    by race or ethnicity, researchers can assess the
    degree to which racial considerations affect access
    to opportunities. Audit studies have documented
    strong evidence of discrimination in
    the context of employment (for a review, see
    Pager 2007a), housing searches (Yinger 1995),
    car sales (Ayres & Siegelman 1995), applications
    for insurance(Wissoker et al. 1998), home
    mortgages (Turner&Skidmore 1999), the provision
    of medical care (Schulman et al. 1999),
    and even in hailing taxis (Ridley et al. 1989)

http://www.princeton.edu/~pager/annualreview_discrimination.pdf page 185.
  8. 25 Jul '10 20:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Field experiments offer a direct measure of discrimination
    in real-world contexts. In these experiments,
    typically referred to as audit studies,
    researchers carefully select, match, and train individuals
    (called testers) to play the part of a
    job/apartment-seeker or consumer. By presenting
    equally qualified individuals who differ only
    by race or e ...[text shortened]... idley et al. 1989)

http://www.princeton.edu/~pager/annualreview_discrimination.pdf page 185.
    Yeah job applicants across racial lines can be a bee-otch can't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3r5Hpi-HQ
  9. 25 Jul '10 21:05
    Right wingers like to pretend that the only racism that exists anymore is that by blacks directed at whites,

Not at all. There's racism all over the place. Every race is guilty. The problem that right wingers have is when pro-black/anti-white racism gets worked into official policy.

Individual persons should be treated as individuals, without having to deal with race. Each person, black or white should be given equal access to such things as education.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 Jul '10 21:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [b]Right wingers like to pretend that the only racism that exists anymore is that by blacks directed at whites,

Not at all. There's racism all over the place. Every race is guilty. The problem that right wingers have is when pro-black/anti-white racism gets worked into official policy.

Individual persons should be treated as individuals, witho ...[text shortened]... th race. Each person, black or white should be given equal access to such things as education.[/b]
    There is no such thing as any government policy that is "pro-black/anti-white racism". There remain a few policies in effect that attempt to mitigate against the effect of discrimination towards blacks that still exist as numerous studies show (some given above). The right wing drive to end such government policies is just another way to perpetuate racist discrimination by private actors.
  11. 26 Jul '10 21:59
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    You constantly enjoy white privilege, but don't see it. You are less likely to be pulled over if you're driving in the middle of the night, especially if with friends or in an upper class neighborhood. Many companies are still more likely to pay attention to your resume or job application if your name is James than Dayquann. People are less fearful of ...[text shortened]... ve Action and other programs aren't going to erase that, nor have they equalized it yet.
    if i'm pulled over in the middle of the night, how would the cop know what race i was?
  12. 26 Jul '10 22:03
    Right wingers like to pretend that the only racism that exists anymore is that by blacks directed at whites, but numerous studies continue to show that racial discrimination is pervasive in many areas. Here's a recent example regarding jury selection in the South: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/us/02jury.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2
    did you read the article in the OP or just the title?
  13. 26 Jul '10 22:38
    There is no such thing as any government policy that is "pro-black/anti-white racism". There remain a few policies in effect that attempt to mitigate against the effect of discrimination towards blacks that still exist as numerous studies show (some given above). The right wing drive to end such government policies is just another way to perpetuate racist discrimination by private actors.
    No such tina as any governmetna policy that is "pro-black/anti-white"?

From the story originally posted:

Policy makers ignored such disparities within America's white cultures when, in advancing minority diversity programs, they treated whites as a fungible monolith. Also lost on these policy makers were the differences in economic and educational attainment among nonwhite cultures. Thus nonwhite groups received special consideration in a wide variety of areas including business startups, academic admissions, job promotions and lucrative government contracts.