Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 22:06
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "It seems she was merely "asked to leave" rather than outright denied service'

[b]probably the most stupid statement I have ever read.
    [/b]
    There very well might be a legal difference between "we're not going to serve you" and "would you mind leaving because of X".

I'll accept that you don't do nuance but sometimes the law does.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 22:07
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So I assume you are OK with people being turned away because of the political bumper sticker on their car.

Fair enough.
    If you bothered to read my posts rather than just assume what was in them, you'd know I already said differently in this thread.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 22:10
    Let's suppose that a restaurant's owned by a Jewish descendant of Holocaust survivors.
    A party of neo-Nazi 'skinheads' (with swastika tattoos) arrives and asks to be served.

If the owner asks the neo-Nazis to leave and they refuse, should the restaurant have the right to refuse service?
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 22:19
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Yes, and maybe conservatives should start doing that. There are still more conservatives in the US than progressive liberals. Imagine if we acted the way they do.

Oh you went to a Hillary rally? Well then get the hell out of my restaurant. You support abortion? Let's mount a twitter war to get you fired. One of these days push is going to come to shove.
    Right wingers as the "victims" seems to be a favorite, though implausible, story line on the blogosphere.

That you guys don't already do this is utter and complete nonsense.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 22:19
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Let's suppose that a restaurant's owned by a Jewish descendant of Holocaust survivors.
    A party of neo-Nazi 'skinheads' (with swastika tattoos) arrives and asks to be served.

If the owner asks the neo-Nazis to leave and they refuse, should the restaurant have the right to refuse service?
    No.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 22:39
    You have a point, but with all the Left wingers out there saying they want to blow up the White House and murder Trump and have his son kidnapped and raped, I assumed it was based upon hate, but I admit I could be wrong.
    Your country is sadly polarized.
    Everything is the fault of left wingers.
    Everything is the fault of right wingers.
    You guys need to listen to yourselves.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '18 23:093 edits
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    Your country is sadly polarized.
    Everything is the fault of left wingers.
    Everything is the fault of right wingers.
    You guys need to listen to yourselves.
    The role of the politician is to divide and conquer. After all, if all politicians said that they were going to treat everyone the same, who would send them money and support?

The goal, as a voter, is to pick a winning side and try to prevail over your counterpart citizen. Sadly, what usually happens is all voters end up losing. Take Obamacare, for example. Some people or organizations got exemptions from the taxes as a reward for their support, but in the end, it was short lived as now everyone is stuck with the same system. Both left and right hate it and want something new and the ink is not even dry on the legislation.

Politicians prey on the half wits in both parties, for which, there is a never ending supply.

What is sad is, both parties are committed to the same things. For example, both parties are committed to unrestricted immigration and open borders, although the GOP says otherwise, their actions show the truth. No wall will be built.

And then there are the poor Dims. They preach against corporate corruption, but at the end of the day, the Dims in power will bail them out at every opportunity because that is who they get their money from.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 01:54
    Trump's statesmanlike response
    The Red Hen Restaurant should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies,
    doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a
    fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. I always had a rule, if a restaurant
    is dirty on the outside, it is dirty on the inside!

That looks awfully like slander.
    And from a President - how demeaning.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:341 edit
    What about you Shav?

I realize you are sooooo much better a person

Perhaps someone could target you for your arrogance, your nastiness, and your foul little mouth.
    Oh dude, I’m the person people ask to come to dinner.

In the world of polarized online communication, it’s hard to judge wit, improv and warmth.
    In reality I’m the shining star at any party; the crude sharpness and exaggerated wit are real, but so is the ability to laugh at one’s self; smothered in the warm glow of jest; i.e. the recipients of my attentions are in full knowledge that it’s not personal.

And that’s a facial thing. 80% of communication is non-verbal. Alas, the internet offers us but emojees. So folk tend to take things literal.
    And the more protestant / fundemental they are, the more literal they take the written word.

Obviously I could begin many a post with: “Friends, Romans, countrymen, please consider the following a mere frivilous observation for your amusement...”

But it’s just so much easier to write: suck my anus, you inbred.
  10. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:391 edit
    Shav, when I see your name all I can think is "Spiel mit mir."
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:45
    Obviously I could begin many a post with: “Friends, Romans, countrymen, please consider the following a mere frivilous observation for your amusement...”

Reading that back, I completely and utterly believe that the word “amusement” should be replaced with “entertainment.”

Although amusement is the better description of what the post is for, entertainment in this context evokes Robbie Williams and Gladiator (Maximus something or other), adding a hint of cultural weight to the text, but, more importantly, it’s far better for the prose.

Now, normally, I wouldn’t blunder prose in such a crude manner (spelling mistakes on the iphone not withstanding), and equally normally, if I did re-read and stumble upon such a nightmare, I’d edit the post faster than you could shout supercalifragalisticexpiidocious backwards.

However, in this instance, I thought perhaps I should show a little of myself; lay myself bare for you to truly scorn.

Ahhh. Wasted effort. Oh well.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:46
    Originally posted by @duchess64

No. Let's not.
    Move along.
  13. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:48
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Reading that back, I completely and utterly believe that the word “amusement” should be replaced with “entertainment.”

Although amusement is the better description of what the post is for, enterta ...[text shortened]... how a little of myself; lay myself bare for you to truly scorn.

Ahhh. Wasted effort. Oh well.
    Not wasted on me. Took me a while but I finally got it. In return, predictably, you take me completely seriously. So. "Ahh well.. wasted effort."
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:49
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Trump's statesmanlike response
    The Red Hen Restaurant should focus more on cleaning its filthy canopies,
    doors and windows (badly needs a paint job) rather than refusing to serve a
    fine person like Sarah Huckabee Sanders. I always had a rule, if a restaurant
    is dirty on the outside, it is dirty on the inside!

That looks awfully like slander.
    And from a President - how demeaning.
    What Donald is really saying is that his White House spokesperson has no taste in fine restaurants.

She sure knows how to pick 'em.
    So he sure knows how to pick 'em.

Right ?? 😛
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 02:53
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Not wasted on me. Took me a while but I finally got it. In return, predictably, you take me completely seriously. So. "Ahh well.. wasted effort."
    Haha. Kuddos!