Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    22 May '18 20:40
    I'm not an anti-hunting guy, but this latest atrocity from the Trump administration made me madder than watching the Reds this year:

The Trump administration is moving to reverse Obama-era rules barring hunters on some public lands in Alaska from baiting brown bears with bacon and doughnuts and using spotlights to shoot mother black bears and cubs hibernating in their dens.

The National Park Service issued a notice Monday of its intent to amend regulations for sport hunting and trapping in national preserves to bring the federal rules in line with Alaska state law.

Under the proposed changes, hunters would also be allowed to hunt black bears with dogs, kill wolves and pups in their dens, and use motor boats to shoot swimming caribou.

These and other hunting methods — condemned as cruel by wildlife protection advocates — were outlawed on federal lands in 2015.

https://apnews.com/b6f958ae02dc4eb19741927a1a56ed85/Interior-moves-to-lift-restrictions-on-hunting-bears,-wolves?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP_Politics

Really? It's "sporting" to shoot hibernating bear cubs? And use searchlights and motor boats? What next? Maybe some wire guided missiles and flamethrowers?

C'mon even you right wing drones can't be on board with this.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 May '18 20:56
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I'm not an anti-hunting guy, but this latest atrocity from the Trump administration made me madder than watching the Reds this year:

The Trump administration is moving to reverse Obama-era rules barring hunters on some public lands in Alaska from baiting brown bears with bacon and doughnuts and using spotlights to shoot mother black bears and cubs h ...[text shortened]... ded missiles and flamethrowers?

Mmm. Bacon and donuts.

I reckon if I had to go that would be the way to go, on top!

Damn that Trump!

Save us Mueller, save us!
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 May '18 21:021 edit

The Trump administration is moving to reverse Obama-era rules barring hunters on some public lands in Alaska from baiting brown bears with bacon and doughnuts and using spotlights to shoot mother black bears and cubs h ...[text shortened]... ded missiles and flamethrowers?

Oh come on...this behavior is EXACTLY how the rest of the world thinks you yanks act. You're all a bunch of lunatics!
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    22 May '18 21:19
    This is why the only grizzly left in CA is the one on our flag. The Anglo urge to shoot and kill is way out of control, always has been.
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 May '18 21:19

I don't like this either, but we must remember Donald Trump is insanely jealous of anything Obama ever did, and if Donald Trump shot 1,000 of his supporters in the head, the rest of them would find a way to justify it. Such is the state of our nation today.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    22 May '18 21:35
    I strongly urge those who find this rule as disgusting as I do, to go to https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=NPS-2018-0005-0001 and use the "Comment Now" button on the top right to send a scathing denunciation of this proposed rule to the dunderheads at National Park Service. If any of you are more adept at social media than I am, please send this around to Facebook buds and so on urging them to do the same. There's a 60 day period for public comment.

It probably won't change their minds, but a considerable number of negative public comments might, just might, get their attention.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    23 May '18 01:26
    The measure of a society is the way it treats its weak and helpless;
    the poor, the sick, the old, the incarcerated, the animals

How is your society doing? (Aimed at everyone and no-one)
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    23 May '18 03:231 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    The measure of a society is the way it treats its weak and helpless;
    the poor, the sick, the old, the incarcerated, the animals

How is your society doing? (Aimed at everyone and no-one)
    The measure of a civil society is the degree to which people live free from force and threats of force.

When people are forced to contribute to the 'weak and helpless' or other goobermint boondoggles this is the indication of the opposite of civil.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 May '18 05:23
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    The measure of a civil society is the degree to which people live free from force and threats of force.

When people are forced to contribute to the 'weak and helpless' or other goobermint boondoggles this is the indication of the opposite of civil.
    Good grief.

The measure of how civilized a nation is, is how they treat their criminals.
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 May '18 05:24

The environment, healthcare, refugees, guns, Iran... and you think they’re gonna change their minds over a couple of bear cubs?
  11. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    23 May '18 06:58
    My father is a big hunter & fisher, as are all males on my father's side of the family. My father very dutifully paid his license to shoot one buck or one doe each season; he also once butchered a wild boar in our garage. My cousin's husband, who I recently did eat wild boar with in Italy, is a big bow hunter & this is almost exclusively what hsi Facebook feed consists of.

My first experience with things like this was when my father described how some scumbags will blast fish in the water so that their stunned bodies float to the surface and then they simply net them.

Very, very frequently this behavior was complained about, and is still complained about in the hunting community.

I honestly am VERY upset that such things would be made legal and can only imagine that this is some kind of oversight. I hgihly doubt that someone actually thought that yes, we need to make it legal to do this again.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    23 May '18 10:21
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    When people are forced to contribute to the 'weak and helpless' or other
    goobermint boondoggles this is the indication of the opposite of civil.
    You are seriously screwed up.
    What happened to you?
    Altar boy?
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    23 May '18 11:03
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    You are seriously screwed up.
    What happened to you?
    Altar boy?
    I didn't say that the 'weak and the helpless' should not be helped. Just that; when force is added, when free choice is taken away any virtue of the act vaporizes, it can no longer be called benevolence or good, it's a donkey responding to the whip. It doesn't matter if the donkey is hauling a sick person to hospital, the donkey is only doing it for one reason, to avoid the whip. And that is what every regulation forcing aid does, it reduces humans, it makes them uncaring, and the more uncaring a society becomes the more there are calls for greater goobermint intervention, and the more goobermint takes on that role, the more citizens take a step back and say "Not my problem, I already gave at the IRD"
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 May '18 11:21

just wait till you see what they are doing with cows, chickens and hogs...
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 May '18 11:55
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    just wait till you see what they are doing with cows, chickens and hogs...
    At least you never have to be a sheep in the Middle East.

I think the bears have it better in the US.