Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Apr '18 06:30
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180403-why-do-people-become-trolls-online-and-in-social-media

Stumbled upon this fascinating read.

It basically explains why we’re nasty to each other online and how our reactions reinforce that nastiness.

I know for a fact, for example, that the people I know off-site (some in real life, some on facebook) are much nicer than I ever thought they would be.

And that, even if I was a total bastard towards them in debates, having met them in person or on social media has changed the interaction completely; for the better.

Makes me wonder. Perhaps most of you are actually decent people. How bizarre would that be?
    The way we talk to each other online is so nasty, it’s hardly likely any of you are like that in real life.

Ponder it, I tells ya, ponder it and become nicer online.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    04 Apr '18 07:11
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180403-why-do-people-become-trolls-online-and-in-social-media

It basically explains why we’re nasty to each other online and how our reactions reinforce that nastiness.

I know for a fact, for example, that the people I know off-site (some in real life, some on facebook) are mu ...[text shortened]... of you are like that in real life.

Goes about calling people:

shavixmir: "Ass-wipe."

Get's bit of a serve back, doesn't like it, and now it's time to be nice.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    04 Apr '18 11:07
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Goes about calling people:

shavixmir: "Ass-wipe."

Get's bit of a serve back, doesn't like it, and now it's time to be nice.
    There are always exceptions to any rule Shav.....
  4. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    04 Apr '18 21:211 edit

I know for a fact, for example, that the people I know off-site (some in real life, some on facebook) are mu ...[text shortened]... of you are like that in real life.

Yes, a good article and exactly the phenomena that prompted me to act recently. We can all be our own little Captain Ahab at times.

It’s worth remembering that we’ve had thousands of years to hone our person-to-person interactions, but only 20 years of social media. “Offline, we have all these cues from facial expressions to body language to pitch,” Danescu-Niculescu-Mizil says. “Online we discuss things only through text. I think we shouldn’t be surprised that we’re having so much difficulty in finding the right way to discuss and cooperate online.”

Edit: I’m way more of an argumentitive ass online than I am irl, and yet I achieve so much less.
  5. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 02:46
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Yes, a good article and exactly the phenomena that prompted me to act recently. We can all be our own little Captain Ahab at times.

[i]It’s worth remembering that we’ve had thousands of years to hone our person-to-person interactions, but only 20 years of social media. “Offline, we have all these cues from facial expressions to body language to pitc ...[text shortened]... Edit: I’m way more of an argumentitive ass online than I am irl, and yet I achieve so much less.
    You need to work on your Internet manners, tiger. I agree with and applaud your recognition of that.
  6. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 03:04
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    You need to work on your Internet manners, tiger. I agree with and applaud your recognition of that.
    Aye, how nice would it be if more of us could reflect on our own behaviour, as well as that of others'?
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 04:36
    "Women and members of ethnic minority groups are disproportionately
    the target of Twitter abuse, including death threats and threats of sexual violence."

"Seventy percent of women described online harassment as a 'major problem'".
    --BBC article

At least several women writers or journalists reportedly have had to
    relocate or go into hiding after receiving credible (according to the police)
    threats of raoe or other violence from the internet

It's easier for white men to be complacent and tell women and non-white
    people not to take seriously internet abuse when white men are less afflicted.
    Like too much of real life, too much of the internet evidently has become
    a bastion of white male privilege, where white men expect their voices to dominate.
  8. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 06:13
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "Women and members of ethnic minority groups are disproportionately
    the target of Twitter abuse, including death threats and threats of sexual violence."

"Seventy percent of women described online harassment as a 'major problem'".
    --BBC article

At least several women writers or journalists reportedly have had to
    relocate or go into hiding after ...[text shortened]... has become
    a bastion of white male privilege, where white men expect their voices to dominate.
    Why do you hate white people so much? Why are you such a racist?

Don’t you realize skin color doesn’t determine someone’s thoughts, beliefs or actions?

Why is your thinking so backwards - dare I say “primitive?”

If you could kill a white person and get away with it, would you do it? If not, do you fantasize about doing it?

If you see two white people on the street and one has skin that is very pale and the other has a tan, do you hate the one with very pale skin more than the one with tan skin?
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 06:29
    .....If you see two white people on the street and one has skin that is very pale and the other has a tan, do you hate the one with very pale skin more than the one with tan skin?
    Well duh, obviously the tanned white guy!!! Not only has he got built in privilege, he probably has built in wealth. 2 boxes ticked. 2/3rds max hate level achieved.
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 06:48

Don’t you realize skin color doesn’t determine someone’s thoughts, beliefs or actions?

If you could kill a white person and get away with it, would you do it? If not, do you fantasize about doing it?

If you see two whit ...[text shortened]... nd the other has a tan, do you hate the one with very pale skin more than the one with tan skin?
    Perhaps you are the answer to your own question?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 07:17

If you see two whit ...[text shortened]... nd the other has a tan, do you hate the one with very pale skin more than the one with tan skin?
    Do you deny that white privilege exists?
  12. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 08:18
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Do you deny that white privilege exists?
    Not to the extent you think it does. Go to Appalachia and berate the poor whites there for their “white privilege.” See if you make it out alive.
  13. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 08:19
    Perhaps you are the answer to your own question?
    I think you meant to post that in the Zen thread. Wrong forum, amigo.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 13:521 edit

I think I can make a pretty good guesstimate on which people would be nice offline. FWIW, I think you would be nice offline. The few intervals when you get into serious discussion mode (particularly once when we were fighting about Israel) have been quite illuminating.

I've only met one regular poster on this forum in "real life" and it was great (though, in fairness, this particular poster is nice on the forum too).

I think a meet-up in some central location (Chicago, New York and London are the obvious choices, but I'm up for anything) would be a really cool idea, but it's probably never going to happen. I once floated the idea but didn't get any interest.
  15. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    05 Apr '18 18:101 edit
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I think I can make a pretty good guesstimate on which people would be nice offline. FWIW, I think you would be nice offline. The few intervals when you get into serious discussion mode (particularly once when we were fighting about Israel) have been quite illuminating.

I've only met one regular poster on this forum in "real life" and it was great (though, i ...[text shortened]... a, but it's probably never going to happen. I once floated the idea but didn't get any interest.
    Top 6 best video conferencing services of 2017

https://www.techradar.com/news/top-5-best-videoconferencing-services-of-2016

EDIT: We could all pour a beer.