Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 18:11
    We can all agree that a North Korea without nuclear weapons would be a "good thing" (I think) but really does the President of the United States really have to slobber up to a murderous dictator like this? Here are Trump's own nauseating words:

Van Susteren: What surprised you about Kim Jong Un?

Trump: “Really, he’s got a great personality. He’s a funny guy, he’s very smart, he’s a great negotiator. He loves his people, not that I’m surprised by that, but he loves his people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van Susteren: What do you think he thought of you after he left?

Trump: “I think he liked me and I like him. And I understand the past and, you know, nobody has to tell me, he’s a rough guy. He has to be a rough guy or he has been a rough person. But we got along very well. He’s smart, loves his people, he loves his country. He wants a lot of good things and that’s why he’s doing this.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van Susteren: “Because this is Voice of America it will be heard in North Korea by the citizens of DPRK of North Korea. What do you want to say directly to the citizens of North Korea?”

Trump: “Well, I think you have somebody that has a great feeling for them. He wants to do right by them and we got along really well. We had a great chemistry — you understand how I feel about chemistry. It’s very important. I mean, I know people where there is no chemistry no matter what you do you just don’t have it. We had it right from the beginning, I talked about that and I think great things are going to happen for North Korea.”

https://www.voanews.com/a/trump-to-voa-we-re-going-to-denuke-north-korea-/4435044.html

In the same interview, he described US-South Korean joint military exercises as "provocative"; he cancelled future ones without apparently telling the South Koreans or US military in advance.

IF Obama had done anything like this, people would be screaming for his execution for treason.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 18:15
    Here's more:

"Great personality and very smart," Trump said of Kim. "Good combination. He’s a worthy negotiator. He’s negotiating on behalf of his people, a very worthy, very smart negotiator, absolutely."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I learned that he’s a very talented man," said Trump. "I also learned that he loves his country very much."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I do trust him, yeah," Trump tells George Stephanopoulos of ABC News. Referring to his previous view of Kim: "Over my lifetime I've done a lot of deals with a lot of people and sometimes the people you most distrust turn out to be the most honorable ones."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We both want to do something. We both are going to do something. And we have developed a very special bond."

http://www.newser.com/story/260531/2/7-complimentary-things-trump-said-about-kim.html

I mean WTF?
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 18:27
    What is dangerous beneath all this meandering drivel is that Trump, consciously or unconsciously, is recalibrating (to borrow from Steve Bannon) US economic and political position in this world.

Moving away from democratic institutions and moving towards authoritarian leaders.
    Putin, Durtarte, Kim Jong Un, etc ..

What are his plans for US.
    He can still call US a democracy.
    As long as he can manipulate the process.
    He found time yesterday to praise Supreme Court decision on voter registration.

This man does have ambitions of a dictator.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:002 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    We can all agree that a North Korea without nuclear weapons would be a "good thing" (I think) but really does the President of the United States really have to slobber up to a murderous dictator like this? Here are Trump's own nauseating words:

Trump: “Really, he’s got a great personality. He’s a ...[text shortened]...
    IF Obama had done anything like this, people would be screaming for his execution for treason.

Yes indeed. Mr. "Art of the Deal" and America took it up the pants on this one. Kim gets America to stop joint military exercises with South Korea, he gets his photo op with an American President, and all he has to do is issue a vaguely worded statement about denuclearization, with no timeline, and no concessions on inspections. This document is worth about as much as a 1/2 roll of toilet paper. My cat could have negotiated something better than this. 😞
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:03

No worse than how Euros suck up to Islamic states like Iran.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:03

I think (hope?) this is just a Trump tactic to keep KJU buttered up to seal the deal, and if it all comes apart he'll revert to little Rocket Man etc. And then he'll probably bomb the crap out of the Norks and say "I always knew that guy was a loser."
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:28
    Originally posted by @eladar
    What are you babbling about ?
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:321 edit
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    I think (hope?) this is just a Trump tactic to keep KJU buttered up to seal the deal, and if it all comes apart he'll revert to little Rocket Man etc. And then he'll probably bomb the crap out of the Norks and say "I always knew that guy was a loser."
    Well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that the Donald was sincere and you're probably right on all counts.

But really to tell North Koreans listening on VOA (and probably risking imprisonment or worse for doing so) that Kim "has a great feeling for them" is just astoundingly tone deaf.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:52

If you think Trump believes all the good things he is saying about KJU you don't understand anything outside of your partisan bias. Even before they met Trump referred to KJU as an honorable man. If you view that as sucking up you are right to an extent. That is how you get a man with a large ego to be reasonable before talking things through. Jimmy Carter understood that well.

As for the post meeting compliments, I'm not sure everything is a done deal yet. I'm still waiting for the details of what they agreed on. It doesn't sound like they have a binding peace treaty yet. The senate must approve for it to be constitutional or it would be no more binding than the Iran deal. Heck, I don't know if anything is binding for that matter.

Jimmy Carter was asked why he seems to have success negotiating where others failed. He said he treated them with respect because that is what leaders respond to.

For all I know the deal could be horrible, but I don't know and I doubt you do either. Besides, Trump already overlooked Saudi Arabia's horrible human rights along with Obama, Bush and Clinton so what the hell does it matter to you? Anyone with our knowledge knows that our country never gives a crap about human rights until they need an excuse to invade another country and kill a lot of people. You know, the very humans we pretend to care about.

I don't suppose a partisan creature like yourself would care to call Carter a guy who slobbers up to murderous dictators?
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 20:56
    We can all agree that a North Korea without nuclear weapons would be a "good thing" (I think) but really does the President of the United States really have to slobber up to a murderous dictator like this?
    If it was Obama, conservatives would attack his sucking-up as showing weakness and not being a feeble leader. Conservatives don't have the stones to say that Trump.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 21:05
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    If you think Trump believes all the good things he is saying about KJU you don't understand anything outside of your partisan bias. Even before they met Trump referred to KJU as an honorable man. If you view that as sucking up you are right to an extent. That is how you get a man with a large ego to be reasonable before talking things through. Jimmy Car ...[text shortened]... n creature like yourself would care to call Carter a guy who slobbers up to murderous dictators?
    You're nuts if you think Carter or any US President in recent times ever praised a dictator like Kim in such terms.

I'm always amused by this "partisan" accusation. I rarely vote Democratic for any office but my own Congressman (who did me a solid once) and haven't voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate since 1992 (a vote I regret).
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 21:05
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I'll translate your point into the slightly saner: "The deal with Iran was worthless.". I think The Donaldo's rejection of the Iran nuclear deal had to do with three things. The first is that, as you observed, Iran is an Islamic State and hostile to Israel. The initiative came from the EU who Trump seems to wish to undermine. But most fundamentally, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action was signed under the Obama Presidency and Trump cannot abide the thought that any such thing could happen under any Presidency other than his. He'd restart the Civil War just to steal Lincoln's fire.
  13. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 21:061 edit
    Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that a tactic in softening up the opposing party is to pay him compliments. I felt embarrassed for Un a little because it's so obvious what Trump is doing. Now I realize there are people stupid enough to fall for it. Let's hope for the sake of world peace that Un is as stupid as the Trump-deranged mob here in the so-called "debate forum."
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that a tactic in softening up the opposing party is to pay him compliments. I felt embarrassed for Un a little because it's so obvious what Trump is doing. Now I realize there are people stupid enough to fall for it. Let's hope for the sake of world peace that Un is as stupid as the Trump-deranged mob here in the so-called "debate forum."
    Maybe that's how you get someone to cut the price of a condo, but it isn't how you act when dealing with dictators.

You right wingers apparently really would excuse anything Donald does.

Nobody "fell for it"; it's just so stupid, obsequious and demeaning for a US President to do that it is embarrassing.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 21:10
    You're nuts if you think Carter or any US President in recent times ever praised a dictator like Kim in such terms.

I'm always amused by this "partisan" accusation. I rarely vote Democratic for any office but my own Congressman (who did me a solid once) and haven't voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate since 1992 (a vote I regret).
    Not in public because it was not necessary for what Carter was doing. You have no idea what he said behind closed doors. You are nuts if you don't think sucking up gets results from dictators. If you wanted to get a hostage in bad health released from a dictator wouldn't you suck up to the dictator to save his life? If not, I must question your morality.