Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 12:54
    Originally posted by @sh76
    I probably shouldn't do this, but hey, you only live once.

The hateful racist troll No1Marauder evidently believes--and always will--that it's IMPOSSIBLE for any Asian American EVER to surpass a white, black, or Latino LEGITIMATELY in any mental field, if not also in any field at all. No1Marauder evidently believes that it's IMPOSSIBLE that any Asian ...[text shortened]... o merit.

Did no1 really say that? No, I mean really. Did he really say that? Really?
    Is your stoic defense of this malcontent's right to spew fud beginning to waver Counselor Voltaire??
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 13:12
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Is your stoic defense of this malcontent's right to spew fud beginning to waver Counselor Voltaire??
    Oh, it waivers plenty.

Anyway, my position is not about rights but about whether I'm the right enforcement agent.

I do like the way you phrase things, BTW. You have that yin/yang eloquence thing going.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 14:39
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Oh, it waivers plenty.

Anyway, my position is not about rights but about whether I'm the right enforcement agent.

I do like the way you phrase things, BTW. You have that yin/yang eloquence thing going.
    😀 😉 🙂
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 22:222 edits
    [i]Originally posted by @sh76 to Kmax87/i]
    Oh, it waivers plenty.

As Ron Unz, a conservative white American Jew and alumnus of Harvard, has written,
    the more that Harvard can use subjective 'personality scores' (where Asian Americans
    are consistently rated lower than whites, blacks, and Latinos) and other measures
    such as de facto racial quotas to reduce Asian Americans admissions (to perhaps about
    half of what they would be if only academic merit were considered), the more that other
    groups (including wealthy whites, including Jews, whom Ron Unz believes that Harvard
    gives preferential treatment) can selfishly gain at Asian Americans' expense.

I suspect that Sh76 would have opposed Harvard's anti-Jewish quotas of several decades ago.
    But Harvard's evident anti-Asian quotas today may be regarded as 'good for Jews',
    so I wonder if Sh76 would prefer to embrace consistent principle or group self-interest.

In general, Asian Americans are becoming more politically conscious and less easily intimidated.
    Anti-Asian racism is endemic in the USA (evidently condoned or approved by about every
    American here). Asian Americans have reasons to doubt that making morally principled
    arguments against anti-Asian racism will gain much support among non-Asian Americans.
    (Non-Asian Americans tend to be indifferent toward any amount of anti-Asian racism.)
    So the arguments against anti-Asian racism need to be made upon more pragmatic
    direct grounds, even when it may involve major self-sacrifice by Asian Americans.

Around 2000, the US government 'purged' (not for the first time) its defense labs of many
    Chinese American scientists and engineers, who were suspected, without evidence, of
    'disloyalty' to the USA on account of being 'perpetual foreigners' allegedly loyal to China.
    (Even Chinese Americans who had grown up in Taiwan were presumed to be loyal to China.)
    In response, some Asian American academics urged a general Asian American boycott
    of US defense labs. It got a mixed response, with some Asian Americans feeling that
    this issue was particular to Chinese Americans, so it need not concern them.
    Several years later, the US government belatedly regretted its decision on 'security grounds'
    to 'purge' Chinese American scientists and engineers because it had failed to come
    close to replacing them all with comparably qualified or skilled non-Chinese Americans.
    (Contrary to what No1Marauder presumably would believe, there were not enough, if any,
    black scientists and engineers who were at least as intelligent and industrious as the
    'purged' Chinese Americans who were being denied employment in US defense labs
    on account of racism.) The US government belatedly concluded that it was better to
    employ highly technically qualified Chinese Americans (who would be closely monitored
    by right-wing white security people) than less qualified 'politically reliable' or 'politically correct' people.
    So,, without conceding any error or any racism, the US government attempted to recruit
    Chinese Americans with PhDs in relevant fields to work for US defense labs. But few
    would take that bait because, for one thing, the US government's dishonesty in refusing
    to concede any error or racism in earlier discrimination against Chinese Americans.
    So let the US government live with the consequences of its prejudices and paranoia.

It seems fashionable here to put down or dismiss Asian American academic achievements.
    Many Americans presumably would say 'Good riddance! ' to Asian Americans who feel
    motivated to emigrate on account of American racism. But if the time ever comes (which
    I doubt as of now) that racism has driven away practically all Asian Americans with exceptional
    talent in science, engineering, and technology, then I wonder what will be left of the USA's
    standing in science, engineering, and technology. In my view, if the USA lost all its talented
    Asian Americans, it would be a more devastating blow than what the Third Reich suffered
    when it lost its talented German Jews because Asian Americans today constitute an
    even higher proportion of the top American scientists and engineers than Jews
    constituted a proportion of the top German scientists and engineers in the 1930s.
    Anti-Asian racists in the USA should beware of what they may wish for.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 22:301 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    As Ron Unz, a conservative white American Jew and alumnus of Harvard, has written,
    the more that Harvard can use subjective 'personality scores' (where Asian Americans
    are consistently rated lower than whites, blacks, and Latinos) and other measures
    such as de facto racial quotas to reduce Asian Americans admissions (to perhaps about
    half of what the ...[text shortened]... engineers in the 1930s.
    Anti-Asian racists in the USA should beware of what they may wish for.
    I personally welcome anyone smart enough to innovate, I worked directly with Chinese, Russian, Israeli, Indian and Korean scientists and anyone who helps us with a project is welcome in my world. I even worked with white Americans🙂
    As a white Irish background American I guess that puts me in the minority of whites welcoming other nationals, but I have had almost 40 years of international family ties so that certainly helps me accept other nationals. Wife is part first nation, others in family from India, Mayan Indian, Swedish, Mexican, Hawaiian and such. I guess I would generate enemies in the white camp and that seems to have happened here in my so-called home town we now reside in, a cultural black hole.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 22:401 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I personally welcome anyone smart enough to innovate, I worked directly with Chinese, Russian, Israeli, Indian and Korean scientists and anyone who helps us with a project is welcome in my world. I even worked with white Americans🙂
    As a white Irish background American I guess that puts me in the minority of whites welcoming other nationals, but I have ha ...[text shortened]... t seems to have happened here in my so-called home town we now reside in, a cultural black hole.
    "I personally welcome anyone smart enough to innovate ..."
    --Sonhouse

I believe Sonhouse. I note, however, that there's still a popular American stereotype
    that at least some Asians (this was widely said of the Japanese) are incapable of innovation.
    In 2016, Carly Florina (a former CEO of Hewlett-Packard) declared that Chinese scientists
    and engineers are incapable of innovation (and thus must 'steal' superior US technology).
    In response, some Chinese scientists and engineers (both immigrants and US-born)
    at Hewlett-Packard condemned Carly Florina for racism and ignorance of their innovative work.

In _The Powerhouse: America, China, and the Great Battery War_, Steve Levine wrote
    much about an Arab American engineer (immigrant from Morocco) who led a research group.
    He was known for being very intelligent, extremely hard-working, and extremely demanding.
    He found that few, if any, American engineers could endure the demands that he put on them.
    So he said that he preferred to hire, almost exclusively, engineers from China (not Chinese
    Americans. whom he considered a bit soft) because they were highly technically skilled,
    extremely hard-working, and would not complain if he took credit for all their hard work.

In his experience, this Moroccan-born engineer observed that engineers from China tended
    to work harder on average than US-born engineers (including Chinese Americans).
    That's his observation--I was not there. When I mentioned this in an earlier thread, troll
    No1Marauder angrily denounced this Moroccan-born engineer as a racist and declared
    that it was impossible that Chinese engineers could be any better or work any harder than
    any US-born engineers. No1Marauder presumably wants to believe that there must be
    many African American engineers who are at least as intelligent and hard-working as even
    the best Chinese engineers, but they are denied employment only on account of racism.

So if racial quotas were applied to this (rather small) research group, then the Arab American
    leader may find that he's allowed to keep only one token Chinese engineer, with the rest
    being terminated and replaced by 'more deserving' white, black, and Latino engineers.
    In that case, I expect that he would quit the research group, if not emigrate from the USA.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 02:53
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "I personally welcome anyone smart enough to innovate ..."
    --Sonhouse

I believe Sonhouse. I note, however, that there's still a popular American stereotype
    that at least some Asians (this was widely said of the Japanese) are incapable of innovation.
    In 2016, Carly Florina (a former CEO of Hewlett-Packard) declared that Chinese scientists
    and engi ...[text shortened]... rs.
    In that case, I expect that he would quit the research group, if not emigrate from the USA.
    Duchy: No1Marauder angrily denounced this Moroccan-born engineer as a racist and declared that it was impossible that Chinese engineers could be any better or work any harder than any US-born engineers

I suppose you really believe that I said anything remotely like that. That is a symptom of your mental illness and not reflective of any reality.