Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 19:231 edit
    Are you any of you left wingers paying attention to the Walk Away movement? Watch this 6 minute video, and then type "walkaway" into YouTube's search box. Seems like a lot of young folks, especially blacks, are finally taking the red pill.

YouTube
  2. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 20:431 edit
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Are you any of you left wingers paying attention to the Walk Away movement? Watch this 6 minute video, and then type "walkaway" into YouTube's search box. Seems like a lot of young folks, especially blacks, are finally taking the red pill.

[youtube]51UGcghHZsk[/youtube]
    Good job he spoke very quickly, articulately and with that well-bred surpressed gay accent which makes him appear to be a new-wave centrist rather than the rehearsed right-wing pretentious prick that he is.

Centrism reaches out to the left and to the right, it pleads the middle ground of the inevitable bow of political compromise.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 21:05

Yes, we've seen that in The Netherlands as well.

"Young folks" voting for the right-wing VVD and their buttbuddies D66 with promises of economic prosperity and safer borders and whatnot.

And then comes the painful truth as they begin to see the empty promises, with wages stagnating, jobsecurity becoming less and less, employers being in a stronger and stronger position, demanding more and more from their little worker bees with buying a house becoming nearly impossible for a single individual with a medium income while all the while certain groups within society are finding it harder and harder to stay afloat due to them not fitting in with the average.

The population - unfortunately - gets what it deserves.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 23:31
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Yes, we've seen that in The Netherlands as well.

"Young folks" voting for the right-wing VVD and their buttbuddies D66 with promises of economic prosperity and safer borders and whatnot.

And then comes the painful truth as they begin to see the empty promises, with wages stagnating, jobsecurity becoming less and less, employers being in a stron ...[text shortened]... them not fitting in with the average.

The population - unfortunately - gets what it deserves.
    Yes, the US, especially, needs a population that stops shooting itself in the foot just because Fox News tells them to.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 02:29

Gay New York hairdressers would certainly have a bright future in a country exclusively run by right wing fanatics. The only appearance this guy would get then on Fox News would be for his execution.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 04:28
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Gay New York hairdressers would certainly have a bright future in a country exclusively run by right wing fanatics. The only appearance this guy would get then on Fox News would be for his execution.
    So you do or don't think the thousands of supposedly former liberals emulating his awakening in their own personal "walk away" videos is a significant political development?
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 06:04
    So you do or don't think the thousands of supposedly former liberals emulating his awakening in their own personal "walk away" videos is a significant political development?
    No, I don't. There's 330 million people in the US; a "movement" of such a limited scope is insignificant. There will probably be bigger shifts in vote counts from Republicans to Democrats in single Congressional districts in a few weeks than this entire group.
  8. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 06:25
    I do not think that it is entirely different from American conservatives becoming more Trumpian in the sense that there's a major disconnect between the future of the party and the present.
  9. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 06:27
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    No, I don't. There's 330 million people in the US; a "movement" of such a limited scope is insignificant. There will probably be bigger shifts in vote counts from Republicans to Democrats in single Congressional districts in a few weeks than this entire group.
    The main spokesperson is fairly articulate and comes off well across the screen, he has the backing of Alex Jones, Sarah Palin, Fox News, the fringe blogosphere and the Russian bots so we might see more of it.

For me the #walkaway video is so generic I don't see how it can have any bigger effect on anyone not easily impressed. Try to change Liberal to Conservative in the video.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 10:57
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Yes, the US, especially, needs a population that stops shooting itself in the foot just because Fox News tells them to.
    No, it isn't "especially" the US, it's other countries just as well. This is why I mention my country every now and then.

Unfortunately, most people here, Americans and non-Americans, still seem to believe the world revolves around Fatland.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:461 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    No, it isn't "especially" the US, it's other countries just as well. This is why I mention my country every now and then.

Unfortunately, most people here, Americans and non-Americans, still seem to believe the world revolves around Fatland.
    That wasn't my point, and not why I said, "the US, especially".

I said that because it appears that an awful lot of middle-class Americans follow the right-wing madness, even when the right clearly has no interest in improving the standard of living of the middle-class, and, in fact, is determined to let it deteriorate as long as they continue to vote Republican. I wonder how bad it has to get for them before they wake up.

America is the country which nearly shotgunned their collective foot off by electing Trump, perhaps the biggest know-nothing, do-nothing on the planet. So yeah, especially the US. I always assumed the Dutch generally knew what they were doing, especially when compared to Americans. The Dutch certainly would not elect the likes of Donald Trump.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 13:032 edits

One might be somewhat alarmed, if this "movement" was real.

What this amounts to is a bunch of Trumpists trying to solidify their base by asking conservatives to continue taking the blue pill, to believe that their cause is "just" and true.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2018/07/02/the-walkaway-meme-is-what-happens-when-everything-is-viral-and-nothing-matters/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dd7ca4e7ff1c
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 13:041 edit
    That wasn't my point, and not why I said, "the US, especially".

I said that because it appears that an awful lot of middle-class Americans follow the right-wing madness, even when the right clearly has no interest in improving the standard of living of the middle-class, and, in fact, is determined to let it deteriorate as long as they continue to vote R ...[text shortened]... ally when compared to Americans. The Dutch certainly would not elect the likes of Donald Trump.
    "even when the right clearly has no interest in improving the standard of living of the middle-class'
    kind of hard for that lie to fly when they are experiencing the prosperity first hand.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 13:13
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "even when the right clearly has no interest in improving the standard of living of the middle-class'
    [b]kind of hard for that lie to fly when they are experiencing the prosperity first hand.
    [/b]
    What "prosperity"?

Has your standard of living actually gone up, or are you still paying 5 dollars for a box of breakfast cereal? Prices have gone nowhere but up, as corporations now understand that the current government will continue to make them rich at the cost of making more of the middle class poor. The current huge bubble in the stock market is NOT "America being made great again", but is a reflection of CEO confidence that Trump will make them rich beyond their dreams of avarice. Yes, the 1% is on the rise, but you poor little right-wing foot-soldiers aren't even on the same train.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 13:24
    What "prosperity"?

Has your standard of living actually gone up, or are you still paying 5 dollars for a box of breakfast cereal? Prices have gone nowhere but up, as corporations now understand that the current government will continue to make them rich at the cost of making more of the middle class poor. The current huge bubble in the stock mar ...[text shortened]... e 1% is on the rise, but you poor little right-wing foot-soldiers aren't even on the same train.
    the price of goods have been going up since the beginning of time. The hourly wage has increased under Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/pay-gains-under-trumps-best-since-the-great-recession.html

Are you really so stupid that you want democrats to raise your taxes?
    PAYING $5 FOR A BOX OF CERIAL IS THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR LIVING IN A DEMOCRAT STATE...MOVE TO CALIFIRNIA AND REALLY EXPERIENCE THE PRICES.