Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 09:55
    become Vegan and you are practically forced to make food at home.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 10:12
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I was responding to this from Finnegan:

"It’s no secret that corporations around the world regularly fund research and PR campaigns to make their products look better than they really are."

I was referring to statistical research and the PR circus. But the same charge above can just as easily be leveled at goobermint.
    Well, the government does have an agenda in funding my research, of course. Your homework for today is to try and figure out what that agenda might be.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 10:282 edits
    Yes you're right, to run a survey is expensive, this is a good point, one I've made here many times. A result of this is that people that pay for the surveys are looking for a particular answer. The 'independent' organization that compiles the stats isn't going to do a lot of business if the results they keep getting run counter to the expectations of those ...[text shortened]... istic.” (Atlantic) [/i]

A very popular book, probably available in other places than amazon.
    You wrote: "Yes you're right, to run a survey is expensive, this is a good point, one I've made here many times. A result of this is that people that pay for the surveys are looking for a particular answer. The 'independent' organization that compiles the stats isn't going to do a lot of business if the results they keep getting run counter to the expectations of those that are paying for them. There is always an agenda. " You are blathering away in pure ignorance.

Most university research is nothing to do with surveys. You are confusing yourself and us. Research into the health impacts of food is not even similar to a survey. You are blathering away in pure ignorance.

Your diatribe about the misuse of statistics is just silly. It is fine to argue that the general public is easily misled with poor statistics but that has nothing at all to do with scientific research papers. Researchers and their readers are very well aware of the correct and incorrect use of statistics and any errors in that regard would be identified as serious flaws. You are blathering away in pure ignorance.

Outside of the USA, government agencies - especially arms length ones like publicly funded universities - are not typically engaged in doing business and do not need to attract business. That is what makes them independent. In any case, for any one piece of research what matters is that it is independent of the relevant vested interests, not so independent it has to be on a desert island in the Pacific run by xenophobic cannibals. You are blathering away in pure ignorance.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 23:05
    I was wondering the source of your state worship affliction.
    If you are freed from the confines of government today you will find that tomorrow you will have been enslaved.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    02 Nov '15 00:172 edits
    Originally posted by finnegan
    You wrote: [i]"Yes you're right, to run a survey is expensive, this is a good point, one I've made here many times. A result of this is that people that pay for the surveys are looking for a particular answer. The 'independent' organization that compiles the stats isn't going to do a lot of business if the results they keep getting run counter to the expect ...[text shortened]... nd in the Pacific run by xenophobic cannibals. [b]You are blathering away in pure ignorance.[/b]
    Prepare to be unconfused by your own words:

"It’s no secret that" goobermints "around the world regularly fund research and PR campaigns to make their products look better than they really are."

If I am blathering that would make you a blatherer too.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    02 Nov '15 19:08
    Prepare to be unconfused by your own words:

"It’s no secret that" goobermints "around the world regularly fund research and PR campaigns to make their products look better than they really are."

If I am blathering that would make you a blatherer too.
    No it is just you that is bathering and misrepresenting your own comments. My last post quoted you accurately as you can see quite easily.

This latest post from you talks about government funded PR - which exists - and in so far as it uses the term "research" seems to equate that with market research of some kind. And what government manufactured products do you have in mind?

It has no bearing whatever on public funding for university science. Nor do you even attempt to consider the need to hold corporations to account by testing their claims. It is a pure distraction.

You are blathering. You have no idea what you are talking about. You cannot hold a simple argument together. You cannot read plain written English properly.