Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 28 Apr '11 15:27
    This town figured out the way to handle them.

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/a-simple-way-to-stop-westboro-baptist-church-funeral-protesters
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    28 Apr '11 15:29
    But but but that's ASSAULT AND BATTERIES OMG

This is great!
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    28 Apr '11 15:33
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/a-simple-way-to-stop-westboro-baptist-church-funeral-protesters
    The text from Sam's link. Hilarious.
    A couple of days before, one of them (Westboro protestors) ran his mouth at a Brandon gas station and got his arse waxed. Police were called and the beaten man could not give much of a description of who beat him. When they canvassed the station and spoke to the large crowd that had gathered around, no one seemed to remember anything about what had happened.

Rankin County handled this thing perfectly. There were many things that were put into place that most will never know about and at great expense to the county.

Most of the morons never made it out of their hotel parking lot. It seems that certain Rankin county pickup trucks were parked directly behind any car that had Kansas plates in the hotel parking lot and the drivers mysteriously disappeared until after the funeral was over. Police were called but their wrecker service was running behind and it was going to be a few hours before they could tow the trucks so the Kansas plated cars could get out.

A few made it to the funeral but were ushered away to be questioned about a crime they might have possibly been involved in. Turns out, after a few hours of questioning, that they were not involved and they were allowed to go on about their business.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Apr '11 15:39
    I don't approve of physically attacking them but the thing about boxing in their cars at the hotel is brilliant.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    28 Apr '11 15:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't approve of physically attacking them but the thing about boxing in their cars at the hotel is brilliant.
    Can you prove it?
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    28 Apr '11 15:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    You don't approve of it, OK, but do you think he deserved it?
  7. 28 Apr '11 16:06
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Was it legal, no, most likely not.
    Was it deserved, you betcha.
  8. 28 Apr '11 16:13
    What's right isn't always legal. What's legal isn't always right.

I think that's one of the reasons why people are supposed to have a jury of their peers.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Apr '11 18:29
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Not my decision. Do I think the WBB church members who rally in support of soldiers dying at a funeral are jerks? Sure. I would not presume to judge that they deserve to be beaten, though.
  10. 28 Apr '11 18:48

An admirable display of common decency. I'd personally prefer to have these loudmouthed rabble-rousers legally gagged or put in jail, but this particular way of dealing with them is certainly worthy of consideration.
  11. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    28 Apr '11 20:09
    Ok, so if they're taking suggestions, I'd like them to
    slap Justin Bieber, please.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Apr '11 20:21
    Violent attacks against peaceful protestors.

Police ignoring illegal actions against someone because of their political views.

Baseless questioning by authorities to prevent public expression of views, which while abhorrent, are legally protected speech.

What country were most of you raised in to approve of such actions?
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Apr '11 20:31
    Westboro's got good lawyers; don't be surprised if the town of Brandon and Rankin County wind up paying out a big judgment on a federal civil rights claim. Justly so.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Apr '11 20:39 / 1 edit

Seems like the story's a right wing wet dream anyway:

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-04-28/miss-sheriff-online-wbc-reports-are-false

EDIT: Incredibly the entire story (which is all over the internet) seems based on a single post from ten days ago (from a username weblow.sixpackspe if you can believe it) at an Ole Miss Sports chat blog. http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/39495/This-will-bring-a-tear-to-your-eye?page=1

Apparently that source is good enough for the right wing blogosphere.
  15. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    28 Apr '11 20:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Violent attacks against peaceful protestors.

Police ignoring illegal actions against someone because of their political views.

Baseless questioning by authorities to prevent public expression of views, which while abhorrent, are legally protected speech.

What country were most of you raised in to approve of such actions?
    Free speech is a very important right. It is also very important that no one can ever be forced to listen.

Seems like the locals have applied the right principles in this case.