Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Nov '15 00:50
    Some ignorant people have claimed that ISIS is the most dangerous
    terrorist organization ever confronted by France. Have they forgotten
    about the OAS, an extreme right-wing French nationalist group (with
    many members from elite French military units), fiercely anti-Arab and
    anti-Muslim, that absolutely opposed independence for Algeria?
    The OAS came close to assassinating President Charles de Gaulle,
    whom it had condemned as a 'traitor' for having reluctantly agreed to
    grant independence to Algeria.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Nov '15 02:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The OAS ca ...[text shortened]... t had condemned as a 'traitor' for having reluctantly agreed to
    Yes indeed, in fact this was the basis of the movie The Day of the Jackal (released in 1973 I believe) The OAS hired a contract killer to kill de Gaulle, and almost succeeded. I'll never forget the first thing the OAS leader told the hired killer "we're not terrorists you understand, we are patriots!" This sounds a great deal like the right wing rhetoric I hear today.
  3. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    22 Nov '15 06:01
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The OAS ca ...[text shortened]... t had condemned as a 'traitor' for having reluctantly agreed to
    The only OAS I know of is the Organization of American States. But apparently you are referring to something else.
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    22 Nov '15 06:15
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yes indeed, in fact this was the basis of the movie The Day of the Jackal (released in 1973 I believe) The OAS hired a contract killer to kill de Gaulle, and almost succeeded. I'll never forget the first thing the OAS leader told the hired killer "we're not terrorists you understand, we are patriots!" This sounds a great deal like the right wing rhetoric I hear today.
    The Day of the Jackal was fiction.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Nov '15 11:56 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Day of the Jackal was fiction.
    Day of the Jackal was a movie based on a true story. You just don't get tired of being wrong....do you?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/citroen-helps-de-gaulle-survive-assassination-attempt

http://scribblguy.50megs.com/torbitt45.htm
  6. 22 Nov '15 21:32 / 2 edits
    _Target de Gaulle_ by Pierre Demaret describes the OAS's many attempts to assassinate Charles de Gaulle.

The OAS followed a political strategy aimed to appeal to Western racism and hypocrisy.
    One OAS tactic was to commit some exceptionally brutal atrocities against Arabs or
    Berbers in Algeria, hoping to provoke the FLN (who were fighting for Algeria's independence)
    to retaliate in kind (or even much less so) against white French settlers ('pied-noirs' ) .
    Then the OAS would triumphantly point to the evidence of some FLN killings of white
    French civilians as its supposed proof that all Algerians seeking independence from
    France were subhuman 'savages' (they were Muslims, right?) who never could be
    trusted to be 'civilized' and must be crushed mercilessly.

As I recall, there were some incidents in which OAS men seized Arab Muslim children,
    doused them with petrol, and set them on fire, making them into 'human torches', while
    cheering white French settlers (the 'pied noirs' tended to be extremely racist) watched.
    This was intended to provoke the children's families into mindless retaliation in kind.
    But the FLN had a code of discipline and it had warned Algeria's Arab and Berber
    communities *not* to take individual revenge against the French *without explicit orders*.
    So the murdered children's families were ordered to do nothing more than grieve and
    wait until the moment when it would become certain that the French would leave Algeria.

Israel strongly opposed Algeria (or any other Arab people) gaining independence,
    and there are some reports that Israel may have given some secret aid to the OAS.
  7. 22 Nov '15 21:33
    Rhetoric is not reality.
  8. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Nov '15 00:44
    Day of the Jackal was a movie based on a true story. You just don't get tired of being wrong....do you?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/citroen-helps-de-gaulle-survive-assassination-attempt

http://scribblguy.50megs.com/torbitt45.htm
    Okay, I found it.
    A Hebrew translation of the novel was found in possession of Yigal Amir, the assassin of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. Police speculated that the book may have been used as a guide for the assassination by Amir.

Vladimir Arutinian, who attempted to assassinate President George W. Bush in Georgia in 2005 was an obsessive reader of the book.

http://www.factbehindfiction.com/index_files/TheDayoftheJackalFrederickForsyth.htm