Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    30 Aug '11 21:29 / 2 edits
    This is a fascinating thing that I've just stumbled upon (although some of you may have done so already). Basically, you can make custom books from collected Wikipedia articles and have them delivered to you in pdf format for free, or printed into actual book format (by PediaPress) for a fairly reasonable price. The interesting part, though, is that you can edit your own book by removing or adding articles at your discretion.

I was experimenting with books on anarcho-primitivism (the irony does not elude me) and got prices ranging from $24 (for a book of 496 pages) to one for $40 (for 887 pages). They apparently have numerous other categories they've put together ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_books_%28community_books%29 ) that you can open in 'book creator' and customize, if you should desire, and tailor them to your specific interest.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting idea, although I haven't actually ordered one yet. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
  2. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    30 Aug '11 21:47
    Originally posted by rwingett
    This is a fascinating thing that I've just stumbled upon (although some of you may have done so already). Basically, you can make custom books from collected Wikipedia articles and have them delivered to you in pdf format for free, or printed into actual book format (by PediaPress) for a fairly reasonable price. The interesting part, though, is that you can ...[text shortened]... although I haven't actually ordered one yet. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
    The vision of the future this has given me makes me nostalgic for a jackboot stamping on a human face forever.

(Seriously, though - great link, I'll have a look.)
  3. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    30 Aug '11 21:48
    The mind boggles. The potential for wallpaper alone ...

Has anyone yet named their child Wikipedia?
  4. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    30 Aug '11 21:56
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The mind boggles. The potential for wallpaper alone ...

Has anyone yet named their child Wikipedia?
    Your lack of enthusiasm wounds me deeply. :'(
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    30 Aug '11 22:00 / 1 edit
    Your lack of enthusiasm wounds me deeply. :'(
    C'mon man - William Morris was into wallpaper!

I was thinking of all the books I could make and realised that I should not make those books.
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    30 Aug '11 22:12
    C'mon man - William Morris was into wallpaper!

I was thinking of all the books I could make and realised that I should not make those books.
    Come on, I just know you'd like a book on König class battleships, or Mesozoic mammals of Madagascar. Admit it.
  7. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    30 Aug '11 22:15
    Come on, I just know you'd like a book on König class battleships, or Mesozoic mammals of Madagascar. Admit it.
    I'd like a six-foot book with pop-up illustrations.

I'd like a book to wear to church, or to work.

A book to bury myself in.
  8. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    30 Aug '11 22:37
    I'd like a six-foot book with pop-up illustrations.

I'd like a book to wear to church, or to work.

A book to bury myself in.
    You can look at the table of contents for my 496 page book and see which articles they pulled for inclusion.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/rwingett/book_contents.jpg

For $23.84 I just might end up buying it. I am totally geeked. Maybe this whole technology thing ain't so bad after all.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Aug '11 23:19
    This is a fascinating thing that I've just stumbled upon (although some of you may have done so already). Basically, you can make custom books from collected Wikipedia articles and have them delivered to you in pdf format for free, or printed into actual book format (by PediaPress) for a fairly reasonable price. The interesting part, though, is that you can ...[text shortened]... although I haven't actually ordered one yet. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
    I came across "books" on Amazon with the name of my company and people I work with and I finally realized it was this sort of thing. Seemed really bizarre, but now that I think about it, it's a really good idea.
  10. 30 Aug '11 23:25
    I'll spend my dime on the last 40 years of Mother earth News...... need to build an outdoor pizza oven,, wood fired of course...
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    30 Aug '11 23:29
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I'll spend my dime on the last 40 years of Mother earth News...... need to build an outdoor pizza oven,, wood fired of course...
    Hey, I subscribe to that. Maybe you're not such a freak after all.
  12. 30 Aug '11 23:31 / 1 edit
    Hey, I subscribe to that. Maybe you're not such a freak after all.
    oh man, you pegged me a freak..ahh shucks...
    actually I am a survivalist, wanna be...... I love that mag, lots of great articles.
    Have you seen your head dude?
  13. 30 Aug '11 23:39
    The popular 1990s sitcom Home Improvement is set in Royal Oak. In one episode, Tim is pulled over on a traffic stop by a police officer wearing a Royal Oak Police Department shoulder patch. In 2008, three movies were filmed in Royal Oak. Scenes from Prayers for Bobby, Youth in Revolt and Gran Torino were filmed in the downtown area. In 2009, the remake of Red Dawn had several scenes filmed in Royal Oak neighborhoods.

Did you get Clints autograph? The last of the tough guys...
  14. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    31 Aug '11 01:14
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    The popular 1990s sitcom Home Improvement is set in Royal Oak. In one episode, Tim is pulled over on a traffic stop by a police officer wearing a Royal Oak Police Department shoulder patch. In 2008, three movies were filmed in Royal Oak. Scenes from Prayers for Bobby, Youth in Revolt and Gran Torino were filmed in the downtown area. In 2009, the remake of ...[text shortened]... ilmed in Royal Oak neighborhoods.

Did you get Clints autograph? The last of the tough guys...
    I knew Gran Torino was filmed locally. Good movie. But I did not get Clint's autograph.
  15. 31 Aug '11 01:52
    I knew Gran Torino was filmed locally. Good movie. But I did not get Clint's autograph.
    I liked the movie,, and his line get off my grass.
    well animal house was filmed here in Eugene, but long before I came along....