Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 01 Feb '12 20:06 / 1 edit
    If you could go back in time to be an eyewitness to any single event in history, which would it be, and why?

(NB - you are only allowed to watch and listen. You can't intervene.)
  2. 01 Feb '12 20:16
    I'd go see one of Hitler's rallies. I'm not a fan or anything, but I'll bet the atmosphere was a once in a lifetime thing.
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    01 Feb '12 22:27
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I'd go see one of Hitler's rallies. I'm not a fan or anything, but I'll bet the atmosphere was a once in a lifetime thing.
    I would have liked to watch the Berlin Wall coming down.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Feb '12 23:53
    Bob Willis' eight for forty three.
  5. 02 Feb '12 00:38 / 1 edit
    The genesis of our universe.
  6. 02 Feb '12 01:45
    The Immaculate Conception.....to see if we really are not alien oriented or Darwins evolved apes.
  7. Standard member Soothfast
    02 Feb '12 20:54
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Go outside and stare at the sun.

Boom. Done.
  8. Standard member Soothfast
    02 Feb '12 21:00
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    If you could go back in time to be an eyewitness to any single event in history, which would it be, and why?

(NB - you are only allowed to watch and listen. You can't intervene.)
    The first moon landing, perhaps.
  9. 03 Feb '12 00:03
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Go outside and stare at the sun.

Boom. Done.
    How is a small half-dead star analogous to the genesis of the universe?
  10. 03 Feb '12 00:14
    At the very beginning without stars their would not be much to see.
  11. 03 Feb '12 00:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    At the very beginning without stars their would not be much to see.
    For all we know the universe may not have a genesis. It's possible that matter and energy have always existed and are infinitely old.

But to me it doesn't make sense for anything to have existed for infinity.
  12. 03 Feb '12 00:33
    For all we know the universe may not have a genesis. It's possible that matter and energy have always existed and are infinitely old.

But to me it doesn't make sense for anything to have existed for infinity.
    You are right, it does not make sense for matter to be infinite, but it does make sense for it to be created.
  13. 03 Feb '12 00:41
    You are right, it does not make sense for matter to be infinite, but it does make sense for it to be created.
    If you're referring to "God" that doesn't make sense, either. That's the dichotomy.
  14. 03 Feb '12 00:45 / 4 edits
    If you're referring to "God" that doesn't make sense, either. That's the dichotomy.
    Sure it does. Time is only a property of the material universe as it measures point A to point B. Time was created via the Big Bang and is point A. To say that time is eternal would be to imply there is no point A or point B and is not logical.

From a scientific perspective, we can look as far back as the Big Bang and no further. And the end can also be calculated as the universe slowly breaks apart and dies, which would be point B.

As God would say, I am the beginning and the end, the Alpha and Omega.
  15. 03 Feb '12 01:05
    Sure it does. Time is only a property of the material universe as it measures point A to point B. Time was created via the Big Bang and is point A. To say that time is eternal would be to imply there is no point A or point B and is not logical.

From a scientific perspective, we can look as far back as the Big Bang and no further. And the end can also b ...[text shortened]... hich would be point B.

As God would say, I am the beginning and the end, the Alpha and Omega.
    No, actually it doesn't make sense. In order for a "big bang" to happen something had to have existed in the first place. Not all astronomers agree that a "big bang" created it all.

And if there is such a thing as "God" where did he/she/it come from? How is it possible.

BTW, it's entirely possible that an explosion occurred that was massive beyond human compression, that the atoms in our bodies were a part of that, and it was NOT the genesis of the universe. Relative to the size of the universe that explosion may actually be microscopic. With current technology we can only see out so far.