Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 28 Jun '13 07:04 / 3 edits
    Republicans what do you think of this New Testament scripture?

This is not some obscure Old Testament scripture, but from Paul, the architect of Christianity, in the New Testament. Look closely at what Paul (if it was Paul) says here. He says women should be silent and he gives a reason why.

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression" 1 Timothy 2:11-14.

He gives a reason why women are to learn in silence with all subjection, and to not teach or usurp authority of the man, and to be in silence.

It is because Adam (not Eve) was first formed, and Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

(Note to Women: Eve screwed you and now you pay the price.)
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    28 Jun '13 07:18
    Take it to Spirituality Spanky
  3. 28 Jun '13 07:26
    it is a spirituality topic dude, and one that has been talked to death. take it in the woods and kill it.
  4. 28 Jun '13 07:31 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it is a spirituality topic dude, and one that has been talked to death. take it in the woods and kill it.
    I disagree with both of you. The original post is entirely appropriate in the Debate forum. This would be so, even if the Republican Party were not controlled and dominated by Christian religious fundamentalists.

Does this scripture support and fit well with the Republican War on Women?
  5. 28 Jun '13 08:32
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I disagree with both of you. The original post is entirely appropriate in the Debate forum. This would be so, even if the Republican Party were not controlled and dominated by Christian religious fundamentalists.

Does this scripture support and fit well with the Republican War on Women?
    first off, what war on women? why would republicans choose to alienate half their voters?

and second: if you make a topic, and offer only reasons from the bible, and you discuss it from the bible's perspective, that is a topic for the spirituality forum.

or would you like to also believe that a debate about sports also belongs here. or a debate about culture? or site ideas. or posers and puzzles. or how a thread by grampy boby belongs here and not in general?
  6. 28 Jun '13 19:18
    [b]Republicans what do you think of this New Testament scripture?

This is not some obscure Old Testament scripture, but from Paul, the architect of Christianity, in the New Testament. Look closely at what Paul (if it was Paul) says here. He says women should be silent and he gives a reason why.

[quote]"Let the woman learn in silence with all sub ...[text shortened]... as in the transgression.[/b]

(Note to Women: Eve screwed you and now you pay the price.)[/b]
    "(Note to Women: Eve screwed you and now you pay the price.)"
    --Moon1969

(So was Eve a lesbian?) 'Eve teasing' is a common euphemism in
    Indian English for men's sexual harassment of women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_teasing

"Do you not know that I am a woman? When I think, I must speak!"
    --Rosalind in Shakespeare's 'As You Like It'
  7. 28 Jun '13 19:32
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "(Note to Women: Eve screwed you and now you pay the price.)"
    --Moon1969

(So was Eve a lesbian?) 'Eve teasing' is a common euphemism in
    Indian English for men's sexual harassment of women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_teasing

"Do you not know that I am a woman? When I think, I must speak!"
    --Rosalind in Shakespeare's 'As You Like It'
    You may or may not realize this, but moon was citing themes in the bible that he disagrees with.
  8. 28 Jun '13 19:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    You may or may not realize this, but moon was citing themes in the bible that he disagrees with.
    Yes, I realized that, and I happen to concur with Moon1969 about it.
    I was just commenting on his parenthetical aside to women.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    28 Jun '13 19:56
    Obviously, Reps don't agree with this, since Palin was chosen to be vice pres just five years ago; which makes me wonder why they pick and choose to ignore this, but not the bible's homophobia.
  10. 28 Jun '13 20:16
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    why would republicans choose to alienate half their voters?
    Good question. Why do they continue to alienate half the voters?
  11. 28 Jun '13 20:19
    Originally posted by vivify
    Obviously, Reps don't agree with this, since Palin was chosen to be vice pres just five years ago; which makes me wonder why they pick and choose to ignore this, but not the bible's homophobia.
    I don't Palin or most of her supporters would agree it appropriate for a woman to be a pastor or to lead the primary service in church on Sunday morning.
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    28 Jun '13 20:25
    I don't Palin or most of her supporters would agree it appropriate for a woman to be a pastor or to lead the primary service in church on Sunday morning.
    No, but it's okay for her to be second-in-line to lead the country, right?

More proof her party's full of morons.
  13. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Jun '13 20:42 / 1 edit
    [b]Republicans what do you think of this New Testament scripture?

[quote]"Let the woman learn in silence with all sub as in the transgression.[/b]

(Note to Women: Eve screwed you and now you pay the price.)[/b]
    I'm not a Republican, but as a Christian, I must admit to being confused by this. There were several women spoken of in the Bible (i.e. Debroah and Jael), that were capable leaders in the affairs of Israel, and they were far from silent. I'm not sure what these lines of scripture getting at.
  14. 28 Jun '13 21:58
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm not a Republican, but as a Christian, I must admit to being confused by this. There were several women spoken of in the Bible (i.e. Debroah and Jael), that were capable leaders in the affairs of Israel, and they were far from silent. I'm not sure what these lines of scripture getting at.
    What it's getting at is woman, Adam came first. You were made for him. You ate the apple and dammed us all to death and misery.Now shut the bleep up and go make me a sandwich.
  15. 28 Jun '13 22:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Yes, I realized that, and I happen to concur with Moon1969 about it.
    I was just commenting on his parenthetical aside to women.
    I have a question for you. If you wouldn't mind indulging my curiosity, are you male or female? The subject has been brought up before, but if you wish not to say I respect that.