Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Dec '13 15:27
    Racist?
  2. 09 Dec '13 16:08
    Is this discussion still not over?
  3. 09 Dec '13 16:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Is this discussion still not over?
    Apparently not in the Netherlands at this time.
  4. 09 Dec '13 16:43
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Apparently not in the Netherlands at this time.
    Sinterklaas was four days ago.
  5. 09 Dec '13 17:00
    I don't consider it "racist" however I understand the feelings that black people in The Netherlands have regarding Zwarte Piet and I don't mind if this tradition gets changed to a kind of "rainbow" Piet.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Dec '13 18:54
    Surtr is black African
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Dec '13 18:55
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I don't consider it "racist" however I understand the feelings that black people in The Netherlands have regarding Zwarte Piet and I don't mind if this tradition gets changed to a kind of "rainbow" Piet.
    You want Santa to have a homosexual companion?
  8. 09 Dec '13 19:47
    Who said anything about homosexual? Just a fairy all smiling and gay would be fine.
  9. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    10 Dec '13 22:03
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    A rainbow Piet wouldn't have the sinister grim qualities of Zwarte Piet, who sets all nerves on edge.
  10. 11 Dec '13 11:49
    It used to be that kids were warned that they should be "good" or else Sinterklaas would take them in a bag to Spain....... not sure why that would be punishment, but alright....

Anyway, for some reason these days the idea of an old holy man in a dress abducting children to a far away country is not so popular anymore and I don't think they still say it to children (not sure though).

As far as I know and remember from being a child Zwarte Piet has never been considered "sinister". Children often find them funny because they act "crazy" and in fact rather childlike.

With discussions such as these people often forget that this is a tradition aimed at children. And children don't give a flying fudge about Piet's colour.