paul on the road to damacus

paul on the road to damacus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Sep 18
4 edits

ToO:

Jesus stated the purpose for which he was anointed here:

Luke 4
16And He came to Nazareth, ... where He had been up ... 17And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,

18“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. etc. etc.

None of this can be denied. But this is certainly not the ONLY place Jesus speaks of His coming ministry. We should consider the TOTALITY of His words, dismissing nothing.

IN John 1:50,51 also art the commencement of His ministry He links Himself to Jacob's dream in Genesis chapter 28 of "Bethel" the house of God.

"Jesus answered and said to him, Is it because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree that you believe? Truly, truly, I say to you, You shall see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man." (John 1:50,51)

This amounts to Jesus saying the HE - the Son of Man - is the dwelling place of God, the house of God upon the earth. He is the reality of what Jacob's dream was in Genesis 28.

On the surface of the earth, God lives in a living house - the Son of Man. He is God incarnated as a Man.

In this introductory chapters to His ministry He continues this thought by challenging the Jews. If they destroy Him, Who is the living temple of God, in three days He will raise that temple up again. - IE. As God living in a Man, if they kill Him He will resurrect again in three days.

"The Jews then answered and said to Him, What sign do You show us, seeing that You do these things?

Jesus answered and said to them, Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.

Then the Jews said, This temple was built in forty-six years, and You will raise it up in three days?

But He spoke of the temple of His body. When therefore He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken." (John 2:19-22)

ToO:

That's pretty much it. During His ministry, Jesus did what He said He was anointed to do.

The ANOINTED ONE was also the the Son of God (John 1:49), the Son of Man (1:51) as God incarnate as a man, who being killed would rise from the dead in three days.

The ANOINTED ONE was also the very dwelling place of God, the house of God, the temple, Bethel - as God and man united in one.

F

Moves
29 Sep 18

FMF: You're just making an assertion and declaring it "the truth".

Originally posted by @kellyjay
And your not?
No. I am not. You should know the difference between an assertion and a question. I'm asking you a question about your 'assertion that's declared "truth"'-type belief. Why is it not a metaphor? The question is "why?"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 18

Originally posted by @fmf
No. I am not. You should know the difference between an assertion and a question. I'm asking you a question about your 'assertion that's declared "truth"'-type belief. Why is it not a metaphor? The question is "why?"
If you are suggesting its a "metaphor" you are making an assertion. If you are suggesting
Holy Spirit isn't who the scriptures declare He is, you are making an assertion. You can
stick an assertion inside a question. If I were to say, have you stopped doing X for these
last few years? Than whatever X was has been asserted as a truth you have been doing
in the question. So with this question of yours, you implied the Holy Spirit was a
metaphor, and I said not when I read the scriptures, when you read them the Father, Son,
and the Holy Spirit could be just meaningless titles in a belief system you have always
rejected your whole life? Did I just make an assertion in a question?

F

Moves
29 Sep 18

If you are suggesting its a "metaphor" you are making an assertion. If you are suggesting
Holy Spirit isn't who the scriptures declare He is, you are making an assertion. You can
stick an assertion inside a question. If I were to say, have you stopped doing X for these
last few years? Than whatever X was has been asserted as a truth you have been doing ...[text shortened]... ef system you have always
I am not making an assertion. I am asking you about your assertion.

F

Moves
29 Sep 18

And your not? We all have opinions the reality and truth of the scripture and reality does not depend upon our views, it is what it is. So we walk in faith believing or rejecting scriptures and whatever man presents as factual. There is no more than that!
So it's not a fact that the Holy Spirit is not a metaphor, it's your opinion and an article of (your) faith?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 18

So it's not a fact that the Holy Spirit is not a metaphor, it's your opinion and an article of (your) faith?
The Holy Spirit is God, as I said when I say it, whatever you want to believe that is on you.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 18

I am not making an assertion. I am asking you about your assertion.
Yea, sure.

F

Moves
29 Sep 18

last few years? Than whatever X was has been asserted as a truth you have been doing ...[text shortened]... ef system you have always
Well the 'Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse', and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, the creation-in-six-days thing, along with stuff like the bread of life, Jesus being a shepherd, the vineyard and the vine, the hedges and branches, the rock, the marriage of the lamb, sheep and goats, the Lake of Fire, and the light of the world etc. etc., these are all metaphors, right?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
29 Sep 18

Well the 'Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse', and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, the creation-in-six-days thing, along with stuff like the bread of life, Jesus being a shepherd, the vineyard and the vine, the hedges and branches, the rock, the marriage of the lamb, sheep and goats, the Lake of Fire, and the light of the world etc. etc., these are all metaphors, right?
I predict:

Metaphors:
4 Horsemen
Bread of life
The vineyard and the vine
The rock
The shepherd
The light of the world
Hedges and branches

Literal:
6 days of creation
Burning in hell for eternity

Alternatively:
A duck a dodge and some side-step

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Sep 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
I predict:

Metaphors:
4 Horsemen
Bread of life
The vineyard and the vine
The rock
The shepherd
The light of the world
Hedges and branches

Literal:
6 days of creation
Burning in hell for eternity

Alternatively:
A duck a dodge and some side-step
Ay

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 18
1 edit

You want to talk about metaphors I suggest you get dive to open up on the topic.
I see he did, well done. πŸ™‚

F

Moves
29 Sep 18
1 edit

You want to talk about metaphors I suggest you get dive to open up on the topic.
I see he did, well done. πŸ™‚
I am asking you about what you think abour metaphors. Not some other poster. Don't run away.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 18

I am asking you about what you think abour metaphors. Not some other poster. Don't run away.
What about them, they are there. You asked if I thought the Holy Spirit was one I said no.
Now you want to bring up more, carry on that conversation with someone who cares, I don't.
Now unless you want to suggest every question put to anyone requires answers, I suggest
you think about our history and let it be.

T

Moves
29 Sep 18

Originally posted by @sonship
ToO:
[quote]
Jesus stated the purpose for which he was anointed here:

Luke 4
16And He came to Nazareth, ... where He had been up ... 17And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,

18“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE P ...[text shortened]... very dwelling place of God, the house of God, the temple, Bethel - as God and man united in one.
You missed the point which was that Jesus explicitly stated the purpose for which he was anointed. Evidently you and others believe you know better. But then you believe that God's purpose is for you to command.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Sep 18
2 edits

You missed the point which was that Jesus explicitly stated the purpose for which he was anointed. Evidently you and others believe you know better. But then you believe that God's purpose is for you to command.

I didn't miss it at all.
I pointed out other parallel introductory passages about His ministry.

These you wish to ignore or dismiss .

I love that Luke passages about the year of Jubilee.