Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Apr '17 21:45 / 1 edit
    Given Asian Americans' lack of influence in US politics and media, anti-Asian
    racism receives hardly any attention, concern, or opposition in the USA.
    It seems unusual that the US government does anything to oppose such racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/26/palantir-racial-discrimination-lawsuit-asians-peter-thiel

"Palantir to pay $1.7m over accusation it discriminates against Asian applicants"

"Palantir, a Silicon Valley company with ties to Donald Trump, has agreed to pay $1.7m
    to settle a government lawsuit alleging racial discrimination against Asian applicants."

"The labor department first filed the suit against Palantir in September, alleging that
    the Palo Alto-based company used a discriminatory hiring process in which
    Asian applicants “were routinely eliminated in the résumé screen and telephone
    interview phases despite being as qualified as white applicants”."

"The DoL suit, which sought lost wages, said that from a pool of more than
    1,160 qualified software engineer applicants, approximately 85% were Asian,
    but the company hired 14 non-Asian employees and only 11 Asian people.
    And even though a majority of qualified intern applicants were Asian,
    Palantir hired four times as many non-Asians than Asians, the suit said."

"In addition to his suggestions that there are too many Asian CEOs,
    Bannon, the former Breitbart chairman with ties to white nationalism,
    has broadly complained about Asian engineers and foreign students
    taking jobs away from US-born citizens."

'White nationalists' (like Steve Bannon) like to complain that there are 'too many Asians'
    (typically regarding US-born citizens of East Asian heritage as foreigners)
    in elite universities and, even worse, they tend to outperform white people.

In reality, about the only reason why Silicon Valley has any senior executives
    of Asian heritage is because many firms are owned by Asians or founded
    by Asian entrepreneurs. A major reason why so many Asians become
    entrepreneurs is attempting to avoid American racism. Even if they are
    US citizens by birth and fluent in American English, Asian Americans
    know that they tend to be stereotyped as good followers (perfect servants)
    and poor leaders. Given that they are not helped by affirmative action,
    it's extremely hard for Asian Americans in white-ruled corporate America
    to rise as far as their abilities should take them. For Asian Americans,
    the 'glass ceiling' typically is short of a senior executive level.

What about someone such as Elaine Chao, who's now the US Secretary of Transportation?
    Does her position 'prove' the absence of anti-Asian racism in the USA or US government?
    While no one disputes her competence, the primary reason why Elaine Chao was appointed
    to a (minor) Cabinet position is that she's married to Republican Senator Mitch McConnell.
    If she were not married to a powerful white man, she presumably would not hold her position.

Steve Bannon should take comfort in knowing that institutional racism continues,
    and less qualified and less capable white men continue to be promoted
    and rewarded in excess of their abilities and achievements.
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    26 Apr '17 23:35 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Given Asian Americans' lack of influence in US politics and media, anti-Asian
    racism receives hardly any attention, concern, or opposition in the USA.
    It seems unusual that the US government does anything to oppose such racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/26/palantir-racial-discrimination-lawsuit-asians-peter-thiel

"Palantir to ...[text shortened]... e white men continue to be promoted
    and rewarded in excess of their abilities and achievements.
    A major reason why so many Asians become entrepreneurs is attempting to avoid American racism.

I'm sorry Duchess, but that is simply not true. There are 2 major reasons why so many Asians become entrepreneurs:

1. It is part of their culture. For centuries, Asians have run family owned business's, and employee's have always been considered 2nd class citizens.

2. Most Asians see higher income potential as business owners, rather than being employees, and make every effort to become business owners as soon as their finances allow for it.

I know you're eager to paint the white man as the evil racist, but I worked in our local Asian community for several years as a young man, and know this to be true. If you don't believe me, simply ask some of them.

P.S. I'll wager you've never worked for a small Asian business like I have.
  3. 27 Apr '17 01:31 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by mchill
    A major reason why so many Asians become entrepreneurs is attempting to avoid American racism.

I'm sorry Duchess, but that is simply not true. There are 2 major reasons why so many Asians become entrepreneurs:

1. It is part of their culture. For centuries, Asians have run family owned business's, and employee's have always been considered 2nd class cit ...[text shortened]... some of them.

P.S. I'll wager you've never worked for a small Asian business like I have.
    This is a forum where extremely arrogant ignorant white people feel entitled to 'correct'
    non-white people about the racist experiences of their own families, friends, or themselves.
    The racist troll Mchill has claimed or at least strongly implied that white men (like himself)
    are the people most oppressed by racism in the USA today.

It's absurd for the extremely arrogant ignorant Mchill to act like knows more than I about
    diverse Asian cultures, communities, and continuing anti-Asian racism in the USA.
    I know these Asians from the inside, not from parroting white journalists' ignorant stereotypes.
    How many Asian languages or dialects can Mchill speak, read, or write?
    Could Mchill keep up in even a casual conversation in any of these Asian languages?

In fact, many of my Asian relatives or friends are entrepreneurs, owning and operating
    businesses (ranging from general stores to restaurants to a financial planning firm).
    They tell me that racism is a reason, though not the only reason, why they became entrepreneurs.
    The racist troll Mchill presumably would refuse to believe them and act like he can read their minds.

Some of these Asians are old enough to recall when US laws (at least in some states)
    denied them the right to own land or to pursue some occupations (competing against whites).
    Anti-Asian racism runs deep through US history, continuing today. Everyone knows it's there.
    They also know that many racists will keep doing their utmost to deny that such racism exists.

One of my Asian relatives worked on Wall Street for a corporation with a bad record (even by
    US standards) of institutional racism. By working very hard, one year he won the 'Employee
    of the Year' award for his department. He was supposed to be honored at a banquet, which
    was held in an all-white private club (which was popular with senior executives at his firm).
    Apart from the servants, he and his wife seemed to be only non-white people at that event.
    His (perhaps drunken) boss stood up and made a speech, in which he condemned the
    US government for investigating his firm for institutional racism. He also referred to my relative
    ('Employee of the Year' ) with a condescending racist slur in front of the entire audience.
    My relative knew that he was treated only as a token. He advanced as far as middle-management,
    which was his 'glass ceiling'. For years, he watched less experienced and qualified white men
    get promoted ahead of him into senior management. Finally, he could not take it any longer.
    The corporate culture of everyday racism was making him sick (contributing to his health problems).
    So he quit the corporation in order to start his own small business, a financial planning firm.
    He did this even though he expected, at least initially, to earn less money than if he had not quit.
    Some of his US-born children have considered emigrating to a less racist society.
  4. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    27 Apr '17 03:06
    This is a forum where extremely arrogant ignorant white people feel entitled to 'correct'
    non-white people about the racist experiences of their own families, friends, or themselves.
    The racist troll Mchill has claimed or at least strongly implied that white men (like himself)

It's absurd for ...[text shortened]... had not quit.
    Some of his US-born children have considered emigrating to a less racist society.
    You asked for it mchill, you got it.

D64 raving like a maniac.
  5. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    27 Apr '17 08:29 / 2 edits

It's absurd for ...[text shortened]... had not quit.
    Oh Duchess. I feel sorry for you. You clearly have some unresolved personal issues. I am going to grab my book and study some opening theory. I'll leave you to retreat in to your little universe, where the white man is always the villain and everyone else is always the victim. I do hope your emotional wounds heal one day.
  6. 27 Apr '17 09:15
    1. It is part of their culture. For centuries, Asians have run family owned business's, and employee's have always been considered 2nd class citizens.
    This is a whopping generalisation, isn't it? Asia stretches from the east coast of the Mediterranean to the Pacific! Which "Asian" culture are you talking about? Iran? India? Thailand? Japan?
  7. 27 Apr '17 19:45 / 1 edit
    Oh Duchess. I feel sorry for you. You clearly have some unresolved personal issues. I am going to grab my book and study some opening theory. I'll leave you to retreat in to your little universe, where the white man is always the villain and everyone else is always the victim. I do hope your emotional wounds heal one day.
    The racist troll Mchill's obviously wrong in his arrogant claims about Asian Americans and
    the supposed absence of racism against them. I have no doubt that Mchill's ignorance
    and racism are popular in this forum dominated by white men, who also are extremely
    ignorant of anti-Asian racism and who typically cling to racist stereotypes of Asians.
    I expect that few, if any, white men here sincerely oppose racism against Asians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_American_studies

Asian-American studies has become an academic field, particularly significant in California.
    I have personally met some of the 'notable Asian American studies scholars' listed by Wikipedia.

The lying racist troll Mchill's usual personal abuse warrants no response beyond absolute disdain.
  8. 27 Apr '17 20:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke to Mchill
    This is a whopping generalisation, isn't it? Asia stretches from the east coast of the Mediterranean to the Pacific!
    Which "Asian" culture are you talking about? Iran? India? Thailand? Japan?
    "This is a whopping generalisation, isn't it?"
    --Teinosuke (to Mchill)

Many, if not most, Americans routinely stereotype all East Asians as exactly alike.
    East Asians are about the most heavily stereotyped people in dominant American culture.
    It tends to be extremely difficult for a person of East Asian heritage to gain acceptance
    outside of a narrow stereotypical role.

Mchill's a racist troll, who has claimed or at least strongly implied that white men (like himself)

The lying troll Mchill also has a long record of jumping into threads (where I had written
    nothing about him) in order to make abusive personal attacks against me. Mchill loves
    to reiterate tirelessly the lie that I hate all white men simply for being white men.

I never have heard my Asian relatives or friends speak of 'the Asian culture' like ignorant non-Asians do.

Mchill's an extremely arrogant white American who fantasizes that he knows much more than I about Asians.
    Mchill claims to have once worked for an Asian-owned business. So what?
    Some of my Asian relatives have owned and operated businesses in the USA since a century ago.
    All my Asian relatives in the USA have struggled with racism during this century though today.
    I have lived in Asian communities and spoken fluently in Asian languages or dialects.
    I can recognize when ignorant white journalists misinterpret some Asian idioms.

Teinosuke, I respect what you say about Japanese people and culture because you have lived in Japan.
    You also may know (as I do) of some significant differences among East Asian cultures.
    But this forum (dominated by white men) has so much endemic racism that I suspect that
    most white people here prefer to believe their favorite racist stereotypes about Asians
    rather than listen to any real Asians or anyone who has long lived among Asians.
  9. 27 Apr '17 23:38 / 1 edit
    This thread apparently shows the nearly universal extent to which anti-Asian racism thrives in this forum.
    Anti-black racism also is common, but at least there are many writers ready to condemn it.
    In contrast, hardly any writer except myself seems willing to condemn anti-Asian racism.

I already expect that most white Americans want less qualified and able white people to
    keep being paid more than and promoted ahead of more qualified and able Asians in the USA.
    Their self-interest is obvious. White Americans directly benefit from this kind of racism,
    and so they want it to continue while, of course, denying that it's racist or that they benefit from it.
  10. 27 Apr '17 23:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke to Mchill
    This is a whopping generalisation, isn't it? Asia stretches from the east coast of the Mediterranean to the Pacific!
    Which "Asian" culture are you talking about? Iran? India? Thailand? Japan?
    I doubt that the racist troll Mchill will explain his 'whopping generalisation' about 'Asian culture'.
    If he bothers to write at all, I expect Mchill to spew more racist stereotypes about Asians
    to a forum full of white men who believe that their racist stereotypes of Asians must be true.

By the way, few Westerners regard Israel as an Asian country, though it's in Asia.