Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    17 May '17 14:04
    Trump's been very light on the Twitter lately. I wonder if his handlers have cut him back. They probably don't want him drawing attention away from their "tax reform" they are almost ready to roll out.
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 May '17 16:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Trump's been very light on the Twitter lately. I wonder if his handlers have cut him back. They probably don't want him drawing attention away from their "tax reform" they are almost ready to roll out.
    I think he knows he is in deep doo doo.
  3. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    18 May '17 22:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think he knows he is in deep doo doo.
    Well, I see he's back on track today.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 May '17 23:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, I see he's back on track today.
    He's the victim of the "worst witch hunt in US history" don't ya know.
  5. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    19 May '17 00:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Is it the worst hunt or the worst witch?
  6. 19 May '17 00:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder to Suzianne
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

"The trials resulted in the executions of twenty people, fourteen of them women,
    and all but one by hanging. Five others (including two infant children) died in prison."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Corey

"After being arrested, Corey refused to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. He was subjected
    to execution by pressing in an effort to force him to plead — the only example of such
    a sanction in American history — but instead died after two days of torture."

"According to the law at the time, a person who refused to plead could not be tried.
    To avoid persons cheating justice, the legal remedy for refusing to plead was "peine forte et dure".
    In this process the prisoner is stripped naked, with a heavy board laid on his body.
    Then rocks or boulders are laid on the plank of wood. This was the process of being pressed."

"After two days, Giles was asked three times to plead innocent or guilty to witchcraft.
    Each time he replied, "More weight." More and more rocks were piled on him, and the Sheriff
    from time to time would stand on the boulders staring down at Corey's bulging eyes."

"It is unusual for people to refuse to plead, and extremely rare to find reports of persons who have
    been able to endure this painful form of death in silence. Since Corey refused to plead, he died
    in full possession of his estate, which would otherwise have been forfeited to the government."

Martha Corey (his wife) was convicted of witchcraft and hanged.

"The community was surprised to see [Martha] Corey accused, as she was known for
    her piety and dedicated church attendance. She had never shown support for the witch
    trials, since she did not believe witches or warlocks existed."
    --Wikipedia
  7. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    19 May '17 04:26
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

"The trials resulted in the executions of twenty people, fourteen of them women,
    and all but one by hanging. Five others (including two infant children) died in prison."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Corey

"After being arrested, Corey refused to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. He was s ...[text shortened]... rt for the witch
    trials, since she did not believe witches or warlocks existed."
    --Wikipedia
    Drum roll please....

And the random word association segue of the year award goes to.....
  8. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    19 May '17 13:08 / 2 edits
    www.etymonline.com
    From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

witch hunt (n.)
    1853 in the literal sense (witch-hunting is from 1630s), from witch (n.) + hunt (n.). The extended sense is attested from 1919, American English, later re-popularized in reaction to Cold War anti-Communism.
    Senator [Lee S.] Overman. What do you mean by witch hunt?
    Mr. [Raymond] Robins. I mean this, Senator. You are familiar with the old witch-hunt attitude, that when people get frightened at things and see bogies, they then get out witch proclamations, and mob action and all kinds of hysteria takes place. ["Bolshevik Propaganda," U.S. Senate subcommittee hearings, 1919]

en.wiktionary.org
    From Wiktionary:
    Noun
    witch-hunt (plural witch-hunts)
    1. (historical) A search for witches, persons believed to be using sorcery or harmful magic, in order to persecute and typically kill them.
    2. An attempt to find and publicly punish a group of people perceived as a threat, usually on ideological or political grounds.
    1938 May 19, George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia:
    Rank-and-file Communists everywhere are led away on a senseless witch-hunt after 'Trotskyists'.
    3. A public smear-campaign against an individual.

www.dictionary.com
    From Dictionary.com:

witch hunt
    or witch-hunt
    noun
    1. an intensive effort to discover and expose disloyalty, subversion, dishonesty, or the like, usually based on slight, doubtful, or irrelevant evidence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and I would add: See scapegoating
  9. 19 May '17 18:52
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Drum roll please....
    And the random word association segue of the year award goes to.....
    President Trump (crying 'Woe is me!', not a quote) used the term 'witch hunt'.
    No1Marauder already had quoted 'witch hunt', and HandyAndy commented upon it in this thread.
    So I referred to the most infamous persecution of real accused witches in US history.
  10. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    21 May '17 06:46
    President Trump (crying 'Woe is me!', not a quote) used the term 'witch hunt'.
    No1Marauder already had quoted 'witch hunt', and HandyAndy commented upon it in this thread.
    So I referred to the most infamous persecution of real accused witches in US history.
    Yes yes yes, but if you had quoted an incident surrounding Nixon, or Clinton B or Clinton H it may have given Trump's exaggeration a bit of context.

If we were having debate on the Crucible, then your wiki history may have been edifying, but other than that.......
  11. 21 May '17 20:49 / 1 edit
    Yes yes yes, but if you had quoted an incident surrounding Nixon, or Clinton B or Clinton H it may have given Trump's exaggeration a bit of context.
    If we were having debate on the Crucible, then your wiki history may have been edifying, but other than that.......
    It's absurd for Kmax87 to attack me for a 'random word association' when the exact words
    'witch hunt' already were used by President Trump and quoted by No1Marauder in this thread.
    I pointed out that President Trump has suffered far less than some real victims of 'witch hunts' in US history.

So by his carping, Kmax87 likes to pick up 'brownie points' from my trolls. So be it.
  12. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    23 May '17 10:31
    It's absurd for Kmax87 to attack me for a 'random word association'.........So by his carping, Kmax87 likes to pick up 'brownie points' from my trolls. So be it.
    What is of interest is that you interpret my gentle ribbing as 'attack', though I appreciate your honesty inasmuch as your real issue with some of my posts it seems has more to do with your apparent disdain for others free riding your trolling.
  13. 23 May '17 19:25
    What is of interest is that you interpret my gentle ribbing as 'attack', though I appreciate your honesty inasmuch as your real issue with some of my posts it seems has more to do with your apparent disdain for others free riding your trolling.
    Whom exactly does Kmax87 believe that I was 'trolling' (his word) in this fhread?
    Both No1Marauder and HandyAndy *already* used or referred to the words 'witch hunt',
    but Kmax87 preferred to put down only me for allegedly being 'off topic' in referring to it.
    I note that neither No1Marauder nor HandyAndy (who are far from being any friends of mine)
    have complained that I was 'trolling' them in this thread.

In fact, Kmax87 is one of my dishonest abusive personal trolls, though far from the worst.
    Kmax87 (whom I have criticized elsewhere for his dishonesty, stupidity, and prejudices) has a
    record of jumping into threads to make unprovoked personal attacks based dishonest distortions.
  14. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    24 May '17 20:53 / 1 edit
    .........,So by his carping, Kmax87 likes to pick up 'brownie points' from my trolls. So be it.
    I read this statement as an acknowledgement on your part, that some of your posts are trolling in nature and that you are singularly unimpressed that I ride the back of them for my own entertainment.

Obviously you meant something entirely different.
  15. 24 May '17 21:54 / 2 edits
    I read this statement as an acknowledgement on your part, that some of your posts are trolling in nature
    and that you are singularly unimpressed that I ride the back of them for my own entertainment.

Obviously you meant something entirely different.
    Kmax87 showed his poor reading comprehension, jumping to an absurd conclusion.

As writers as diverse as Finnegan and Twhitehead have noted, I (not being a white man in a
    forum dominated by white men) am the favorite target for abuse by obsessed hateful trolls.
    Kmax87 has seemed ready, at least on occasion, to lend his encouragement to these trolls.