Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 10 Sep '16 19:41
    An in-flight magazine issued on Chinese airways flights has advised to take precautions not to visit Indian, Pakistanis and black areas of London .
    Racism ,or good advise ?
  2. 10 Sep '16 19:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    An in-flight magazine issued on Chinese airways flights has advised to take precautions not to visit Indian, Pakistanis and black areas of London .
    Racism ,or good advise ?
    Bad advice, the East End of London and Green st in particular serve the best food in the city. I did once get my car broken into in Tottenham though.
  3. 10 Sep '16 19:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Bad advice, the East End of London and Green st in particular serve the best food in the city. I did once get my car broken into in Tottenham though.
    Waiting for the obligatory thumbs down
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Sep '16 20:21
    Originally posted by phil3000
    An in-flight magazine issued on Chinese airways flights has advised to take precautions not to visit Indian, Pakistanis and black areas of London .
    Racism ,or good advise ?
    How do you know about this? Do you read Chinese?
  5. 10 Sep '16 20:30
    Originally posted by vivify
    How do you know about this? Do you read Chinese?
    There was an article about it on the BBC News website. I had a good laugh over it because of the obvious racism. Some British MP filed a complaint about it.
  6. 10 Sep '16 20:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    How do you know about this? Do you read Chinese?
  7. 10 Sep '16 21:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Vivify
    There was an article about it on the BBC News website. I had a good laugh over it
    because of the obvious racism. Some British MP filed a complaint about it.
    The ignorant stereotyping (which comes not only from Chinese) should not be excused.
    But, in fact, there has been much crime in Europe particularly aimed at Chinese tourists,
    who are perceived as easy targets tending to carry a lot of money.

    In fact, in an effort to reassure Chinese tourists, Rome has imported some Chinese police
    to work in areas frequented by tourists. Rome's authorities hope that Chinese tourists
    may feel safer and have more confidence in being protected by Chinese police.
  8. 10 Sep '16 21:22
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The ignorant stereotyping (which comes not only from Chinese) should not be excused.
    But, in fact, there has been much crime in Europe particularly aimed at Chinese tourists,
    who are perceived as easy targets tending to carry a lot of money.

    In fact, in an effort to reassure Chinese tourists, Rome has imported some Chinese police
    to work in areas ...[text shortened]... Chinese tourists
    may feel safer and have more confidence in being protected by Chinese police.
    Apparently ,the offensive article has been removed and the Chinese airway has apologised for any harm it may has caused to the ethnic minorities mentioned in the in-flight magazine .
    If there are large crime rates in the area's that the magazine has told its passengers not to visit is it so wrong to warn and have a care of duty ?
  9. 10 Sep '16 21:31
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Apparently ,the offensive article has been removed and the Chinese airway has apologised for any harm it may has caused to the ethnic minorities mentioned in the in-flight magazine .
    If there are large crime rates in the area's that the magazine has told its passengers not to visit is it so wrong to warn and have a care of duty ?
    I have no objection to warning tourists to be careful (or perhaps to avoid) areas with high crime rates.
    I have no objection to identifying these areas by *location* rather than by specific ethnicity.
  10. 10 Sep '16 21:57
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Apparently ,the offensive article has been removed and the Chinese airway has apologised for any harm it may has caused to the ethnic minorities mentioned in the in-flight magazine .
    If there are large crime rates in the area's that the magazine has told its passengers not to visit is it so wrong to warn and have a care of duty ?
    A tourist is most likely to be a victim of a crime in a tourist area. It doesn't make an awful lot of sense to recommend that tourists not visit tourist areas.
  11. 10 Sep '16 22:01 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Phil3000
    A tourist is most likely to be a victim of a crime in a tourist area. It doesn't make an awful lot of sense to recommend that tourists not visit tourist areas.
    I believe that it's acceptable to advise a tourist that an area (identified by location) has a
    high crime rate and let that tourist decide how much, if any time, one wants to spend there.

    I have heard warnings that a woman alone should not spend much time in some areas after dark.
    I see nothing wrong with advising a naïve visitor that an area has a high rate of sexual assault.
  12. 10 Sep '16 22:08
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    A tourist is most likely to be a victim of a crime in a tourist area. It doesn't make an awful lot of sense to recommend that tourists not visit tourist areas.
    Not every tourist area is dangerous ,if the area is dangerous tourists need to know to be at least careful and pre- warned .
    If you don't warn people because you think you might upset ethnic minorities ,then let it be on your conscience .