Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 22:42
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/10/08/baseball-commentator-says-chink-in-the-armor-while-describing-asian-pitchers-performance-uh-oh

A baseball commentator recently was calling a Yankees game while the pitcher was Japanese as he used the term, "chink in the armor"

Will this commentator be held to the same standards that a recent commentator who was fired for using the term "guerilla tactics" to describe a black tennis player and was fired for it?

I doubt it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4137808/ESPN-commentator-citing-Venus-GUERRILLA-tactics.html

It's what many of us already know. Progressives, like FDR, don't particularly like oriental people.

I wonder why.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:001 edit
    According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, 'chink' has this meaning:
    "offensive--used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a person of Chinese birth or descent"

A Pekin, Illinois high school long named its mascot the 'Chinks'.
    (Compare that to the Washington Redskins of the NFL today.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/controversial-mascots/13/

"Pekin High School Chinks"

"Chinese-Americans in the area, however, found the name racist and degrading.
    Twice in the 1970's, the student body at Pekin High voted overwhelmingly to
    keep their mascot, despite the controversy it was causing. The school board finally
    insisted that the name be changed to "dragons" in 1980, but alumni groups
    continue to push back on that decision to this day."

So the students 'voted overwhelmingly' to choose a racist slur as their school's mascot.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:11
    @whodey said
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/10/08/baseball-commentator-says-chink-in-the-armor-while-describing-asian-pitchers-performance-uh-oh

A baseball commentator recently was calling a Yankees game while the pitcher was Japanese as he used the term, "chink in the armor"

Will this commentator be held to the same standards that a recent commentator who was fired for using the ...[text shortened]... us already know. Progressives, like FDR, don't particularly like oriental people.

I wonder why.
    "Chink in the armor" is a phrase that has been used for something like 600 years to refer to a weakness in a person.

Ron Darling is one of the best baseball announcers IMO and his mother was Chinese-Hawaiian. https://nesn.com/2018/10/ron-darling-apologizes-for-masahiro-tanaka-chink-in-the-armor-comment/

He apologized for the use of the term though I don't think that was necessary.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:15
    The same thing happened with Jeremy Lin. No one knows for sure if it was intentional or not...but you can't help but wonder.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:22
    @no1marauder said
    "Chink in the armor" is a phrase that has been used for something like 600 years to refer to a weakness in a person.

Ron Darling is one of the best baseball announcers IMO and his mother was Chinese-Hawaiian. https://nesn.com/2018/10/ron-darling-apologizes-for-masahiro-tanaka-chink-in-the-armor-comment/

What about the term "guerilla tactics" spanky?

Feel the same way about it?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:23
    @vivify said
    The same thing happened with Jeremy Lin. No one knows for sure if it was intentional or not...but you can't help but wonder.
    He won't lose his job over it.

No worries.

But if they were black...................everything changes.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:231 edit
    @whodey said
    What about the term "guerilla tactics" spanky?

Feel the same way about it?
    I don't care about it; I'm sure your version is inaccurate.

EDIT: Yep:

"She puts the Gorilla effect on. Charging".

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/judge-says-wrongful-termination-suit-from-former-espn-tennis-analyst-doug-adler-can-proceed-to-trial.html
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:25
    @no1marauder said
    I don't care about it; I'm sure your version is inaccurate.
    I realize you don't care.

All you care about is the DNC talking points.

So what is your point?
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:31
    @no1marauder said

(No1Marauder replied to Whodey.)

I don't believe that Ron Darling had any racist intent.

No1Marauder apparently fails to comprehend, however, that words and phrases
    may change in meaning as the social context changes. For many centuries, 'gay'
    was used to praise men without referring to their sexual orientation, but no man
    today would assume that being called 'gay' is meant as a non-sexual compliment.
    Has the time arrived to retire the phrase 'chink in the armor' or, at least, to avoid
    using it in a situation referring to anyone of East Asian heritage?

"He apologized for the use of the term though I don't think that was necessary."
    --No1Marauder

It's hard to imagine No1Maruder believing that any apology should ever be
    necessary for offending or potentially offending any Asian Americans.

No1Marauder apparently believed that it was necessary to exclude a Chinese American
    broadcaster named 'Robert Lee' from working at a football game supposedly because
    he might get confused with Robert E Lee, a famous (or infamous) Confederate general,
    and incite racist tensions or violence. So perhaps Robert Lee's parents should
    apologize for giving him that name! (sarcasm intended)
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:31
    @whodey said
    I realize you don't care.

All you care about is the DNC talking points.

So what is your point?
    One point is that you are a liar as my edit above shows.

A second point is that you, like the partisan hack you are, always try to make these rather trivial incidents into some big deal to attack "progressives". Is Ron Darling a "progressive"? I have no idea what his politics are and I watched him pitch and then announce games for something like 30 years.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:37
    @duchess64 said
    (No1Marauder replied to Whodey.)

I don't believe that Ron Darling had any racist intent.

No1Marauder apparently fails to comprehend, however, that words and phrases
    may change in meaning as the social context changes. For many centuries, 'gay'
    was used to praise men without referring to their sexual orientation, but no man
    today would assume that being called 'ga ...[text shortened]... ce. So perhaps Robert Lee's parents should
    apologize for giving him that name! (sarcasm intended)
    Your last paragraph repeats a pathetic lie you have been telling for quite a while. No one in their right mind though the announcer would be "confused" with Robert E. Lee so it's a rather stupid lie.

Robert Lee was reassigned to a better game because "ESPN production staff spoke with Lee about their concerns that he would be exposed to “social hectoring and trolling,” among other potential fallout from participating in the game, according to the note. Lee “expressed some personal trepidation about the assignment” and then accepted the opportunity to work another game." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/23/after-backlash-espns-president-explains-why-broadcaster-robert-lee-was-taken-off-u-va-game-in-charlottesville/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.33e0f31a62e6

This was, of course, immediately after the white racists' violence in Charlottesville (where the Virginia game was scheduled) another salient fact you repeatedly ignore.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:443 edits
    @no1marauder said
    One point is that you are a liar as my edit above shows.

A second point is that you, like the partisan hack you are, always try to make these rather trivial incidents into some big deal to attack "progressives". Is Ron Darling a "progressive"? I have no idea what his politics are and I watched him pitch and then announce games for something like 30 years.
    Trivial incident?

The man who was fired from ESPN was under a great deal of stress and had a heart attack.

Not only did he lose his job, he was black listed.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/01/doug-adler-heart-attack/

Not to worry though, your precious Yankees commentator will be fully pardoned, no problem.

Oh, and enjoy another World Series win.
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:59
    @whodey said
    Trivial incident?

The man who was fired from ESPN was under a great deal of stress and had a heart attack.

Not only did he lose his job, he was black listed.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/01/doug-adler-heart-attack/

Not to worry though, your precious Yankees commentator will be fully pardoned, no problem.

Oh, and enjoy another World Series win.
    Actually, Ron Darling announces for the Mets and TBS.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 00:051 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Your last paragraph repeats a pathetic lie you have been telling for quite a while. No one in their right mind though the announcer would be "confused" with Robert E. Lee so it's a rather stupid lie.

Robert Lee was reassigned to a better game because "ESPN production staff spoke with Lee about their concerns that he would be exposed to “social hectoring and trolling,” ...[text shortened]... Charlottesville (where the Virginia game was scheduled) another salient fact you repeatedly ignore.
    "No one in their right mind though the announcer would be "confused" with
    Robert E. Lee so it's a rather stupid lie."
    --No1Marauder

'No one in their right mind' would act like many Americans (such as Donald Trump's
    supporters) often act. There's no limit to American ignorance and stupidity.

In fact, I have even met a few ignorant Americans who (mixing up China and Japan
    as common--they all look alike, right?) who blamed China for bombing Pearl Harbor!
    When I pointed out otherwise, they argued that Japan was a puppet of China,
    ignoring the fact that Japan had invaded China and was fighting a brutal war there.

I hardly would expect Robert Lee to express any public disagreement with his boss.
    Members of marginalized groups (not white men) learn early to aim to please above all.

"...the white racists' violence in Charlottesville (where the Virginia game was
    scheduled) another salient fact you repeatedly ignore."
    --No1Marauder

A 'salient fact'? Why does No1Marauder apparently feel that the presence of
    a 'Chinese American broadcaster named 'Robert Lee' would have incited racist violence?

Satire. Let's suppose that Robert Lee had applied to Harvard:
    (I know Harvard does not explain why it rejects applicants, but let's ignore that here.)
    RL: You told me that I was rejected because my personality test score is extremely low.
    Harvard: Yes, it's due to your name. Some people regard it as offensive, if not racist.
    So you will understand that we simply can't have that here!
    RL: But I noticed that you just admitted a white student named 'Robert Lee'.
    Harvard: Oh, that's completely different! He's a legacy admission.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 00:111 edit
    @duchess64 said
    "No one in their right mind though the announcer would be "confused" with
    Robert E. Lee so it's a rather stupid lie."
    --No1Marauder

'No one in their right mind' would act like many Americans (such as Donald Trump's
    supporters) often act. There's no limit to American ignorance and stupidity.

In fact, I have even met a few ignorant Americans who (mixing up China a ...[text shortened]... ite student named 'Robert Lee'.
    Harvard: Oh, that's completely different! He's a legacy admission.
    Why do you insist on lying about posts that are a few inches away from your lies? Of course, I never said I "felt" that Lee's announcing of the game would "have incited racist violence".

ESPN adequately explained their reasoning which was significantly influenced by recent events in Charlottesville. I have no reason to believe you rather than Robert Lee.