Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 19 Jan '18 21:03 / 2 edits
    It hasn't happened yet, but. JMHO - If our government shut's down, the GOP is going to be hard pressed to make the case that Democrats are to blame for it. President Trump and his fellow Republicans have already started framing a government shutdown as the fault of Democrats, but Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill, as well as veterans of past budget battles and campaigns, say that argument isn't likely to fly — not while the GOP runs the House, Senate, and White House and a deeply unpopular president sits in the Oval Office. Trump and the GOP made a lot of promises in 2016, they control the government now. It's time to stand and deliver!
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    20 Jan '18 00:11
    Originally posted by @mchill
    It hasn't happened yet, but. JMHO - If our government shut's down, the GOP is going to be hard pressed to make the case that Democrats are to blame for it. President Trump and his fellow Republicans have already started framing a government shutdown as the fault of Democrats, but Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill, as well as veterans of past budget b ...[text shortened]... e a lot of promises in 2016, they control the government now. It's time to stand and deliver!
    I don't agree with shutting the government down because you're not getting your way on a single issue.

    The Dems should agree not to filibuster the temporary spending bill passed by the House yesterday and move on.
  3. 20 Jan '18 00:19
    All the Dims have to do is shut down the government till the next Presidential election and tell Trump to take a hike

    It's brilliant!
  4. 20 Jan '18 00:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    It hasn't happened yet, but. JMHO - If our government shut's down, the GOP is going to be hard pressed to make the case that Democrats are to blame for it. President Trump and his fellow Republicans have already started framing a government shutdown as the fault of Democrats, but Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill, as well as veterans of past budget b ...[text shortened]... e a lot of promises in 2016, they control the government now. It's time to stand and deliver!
    You sound like Jim Acosta...Republicans are not in control. They have 51 votes...it takes 60. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    20 Jan '18 09:24
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    You sound like Jim Acosta...Republicans are not in control. They have 51 votes...it takes 60. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
    It takes a good President to be in control.
  6. Subscriber kmax87
    Health and Education
    20 Jan '18 11:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    You sound like Jim Acosta...Republicans are not in control. They have 51 votes...it takes 60. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
    Given that funding the Government always required 60 votes, surely then Trump and Ryan and McConnell overplayed their hand and now must bear the brunt of their hubris in attempting to not only axe the ACA but also pass the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, without any real consultation, without acting in good faith or building a consensus with broad bipartisan support.

    You know, politics.

    You can't go it alone and then cry foul when the other side won't help you.
  7. 20 Jan '18 13:39
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Given that funding the Government always required 60 votes, surely then Trump and Ryan and McConnell overplayed their hand and now must bear the brunt of their hubris in attempting to not only axe the ACA but also pass the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, without any real consultation, without acting in good faith or building a consensus with broad bipartisan ...[text shortened]... know, politics.

    You can't go it alone and then cry foul when the other side won't help you.
    Now... explain what DACA has to do with funding the govt?
  8. 20 Jan '18 13:39
    The main thing here is that the shut down will create added debt to the nation.

    And isn't that what Congress is all about whether it be tax cuts, or a stimulus package, or that handy dandy new entitlement?

    In fact, I think that is why Trump beat Hillary. It was projected that Trump would spend more.

    Whoever spends more wins!
  9. 20 Jan '18 13:42
    Maybe climate change will be the unifying global threat that we need.
  10. 20 Jan '18 13:47
    Democrats just shut our govt down because of illegals...liberals cant seem to see those they support are not for them.
  11. 20 Jan '18 13:57
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Democrats just shut our govt down because of illegals...liberals cant seem to see those they support are not for them.
    If liberals helped American blacks like they do illegals, they would all be in the top 1% by now.

    However, there future political strategy hinges on millions of Mexican voters.
  12. 20 Jan '18 14:21
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Democrats just shut our govt down because of illegals...liberals cant seem to see those they support are not for them.
    A prominent American politician said that in the case of a government shutdown, the president is to blame. What is your view on that?
  13. 20 Jan '18 14:28 / 1 edit
    democrats must get a spine and force at least DACA and CHIP to be done, that is health insurance for children and a path to legalize 800 000 americans (they are americans, no matter what you say), many of whom serving in your military.

    the republicans will claim the democrats are being unreasonable and holding the government hostage. let them. if the shutdown happens, let them keep saying that policies that are overwhelmingly supported by the american people are unreasonable. that healthcare for children is unreasonable after they added a trillion and a half to the deficit to give their moocher billionaire masters tax cuts
  14. 20 Jan '18 14:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I don't agree with shutting the government down because you're not getting your way on a single issue.

    The Dems should agree not to filibuster the temporary spending bill passed by the House yesterday and move on.
    yes, because the republicans are reasonable and will eventually do DACA and Chip. if you don't attach daca to something that is absolutely necessary, the republicans WILL attach it to something like wall funding or increased military spending. That is, if they will allow it later at all.

    How long ago was it that CHIP expired? I forget. I am sure it will get funded soon, the republicans simply forgot about it.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    20 Jan '18 14:35
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Now... explain what DACA has to do with funding the govt?
    What’s the wall got to do with it.

    Your whole system is based on adding rubbish to bills to get them to pass.

    Maybe the system is to blame. Maybe the politicians. Maybe hate. Maybe the voters.

    Let me introduce Belgium to you. Even without a government for 18 months, the country didn’t shut down.