Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 02:12
    @lundos said
    Is this a call for civil war (and a license for violence)?

Really?
    I guess it is to a right-wing snowflake.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 09:43
    @vivify said
    Why do you keep criticizing liberals for mocking Trump supporters, then? Mott's posts perfectly reflect the unintelligent, brain-washed statements and attitudes of Trump supporters. Yet, you take issue with doing to them what you suggest doing to Mott, or Whodey.

Why?
    if you're referring to my previous statement that you should try to understand trump supporters instead of yelling at them, i was referring to poor americans in red states that felt the democrats have abandoned them (which they did). States that democrats don't run in or if they do, receive no help from the democrat mothership.

States in which Bernie Sanders received standing ovations, btw, but that's another discussion.

This isn't that case. Mott is not the poor american who feels abandoned by the democrats. Mott is the retarded drunk hobo screaming at people about aliens teaming up with the illuminati to steal our brains. Mott is the hateful racist prick that is so far gone that nothing will ever change his mind, certainly not a stranger on the internet.

You should ignore Mott because 1: it is pointless to talk at him and 2. you clutter a discussion that might be engaging if you would just ignore the idiots or in this case, keep a thread alive that should have been 3-4 replies of people taking turns laughing at him.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 18:18
    @zahlanzi said
    if you're referring to my previous statement that you should try to understand trump supporters instead of yelling at them, i was referring to poor americans in red states that felt the democrats have abandoned them (which they did). States that democrats don't run in or if they do, receive no help from the democrat mothership.

States in which Bernie Sanders received ...[text shortened]... case, keep a thread alive that should have been 3-4 replies of people taking turns laughing at him.
    damn man! didn't know I owned you so.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 21:50
    @zahlanzi said

States in which Bernie Sanders received ...[text shortened]... case, keep a thread alive that should have been 3-4 replies of people taking turns laughing at him.
    Okay. You're referring to very specific group of Trump supporters; the kind who due to being poor, are unable to know better about Trump, either due to lack of resources, basic education or adequate time to properly research candidates.

I don't think these are the types of people receiving derision from liberals. They type I'm referring to are the kind like in that video you posted with Sanders, where a Trump supporter admitted to not believing Trump's claims were truthful, and voted for him anyway. Such people are without excuse.

But I'm not going to rehash that topic, it's been discussed enough.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 22:01
    @vivify said
    Okay. You're referring to very specific group of Trump supporters; the kind who due to being poor, are unable to know better about Trump, either due to lack of resources, basic education or adequate time to properly research candidates.

I don't think these are the types of people receiving derision from liberals. They type I'm referring to are the kind like in that vide ...[text shortened]... people are without excuse.

such people had no alternative.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 22:201 edit
    @mott-the-hoople said
    such people had no alternative.
    You mean besides the 15 other Republican candidates who ran in 2016?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 00:46
    Looks like the new un-PC word is "mob", unless it is used to describe those on the right.

YouTube

But isn't that what Dims want? Don't they want to get rid of such things as the Electoral College and just have people elected by popular vote so that the largest mob wins?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 09:17
    @vivify said

I don't think these are the types of people receiving derision from liberals. They type I'm referring to are the kind like in that vide ...[text shortened]... people are without excuse.

"admitted to not believing Trump's claims were truthful, and voted for him anyway. Such people are without excuse. "
    There is nuance. Many voted for trump because they believed his most racist statements are just bluster and hoped, naively, i agree, that he will save their jobs. One candidate promised something, the other didn't even set foot in their states and completely ignored them. She basically told them she doesn't want their votes, and they obliged.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 09:40
    @whodey said
    Looks like the new un-PC word is "mob", unless it is used to describe those on the right.

[youtube]ernyreSZee8[/youtube]

But isn't that what Dims want? Don't they want to get rid of such things as the Electoral College and just have people elected by popular vote so that the largest mob wins?
    So you regard the American People as nothing but a "mob".

As I have said, it is a classic position of all right wing movements to oppose democracy and insist on elite rule.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 09:46
    Jonathan Chait succintly sums up what right wing fanatics like whodey are trying to do with this "mob" nonsense:

The method on display is familiar if you study any historical episode of democratic backsliding. One party, either from the far left or the far right, sets out to attack and weaken democratic norms. The small-d democrats resist, trying to maintain democratic norms. But they’re fighting at a disadvantage against a ruthless foe that does not observe their limits, and at least some of the opposition undertakes a more drastic action. Any offense becomes a pretext for the authoritarians, who exaggerate the threat of violence and chaos by their enemies to justify the antidemocratic measures they were planning all along.

The threat Trump poses does not excuse the left from upholding democratic standards. (I have made this case repeatedly, in fact.) That said, Trump’s illiberalism only works because respectable conservatives cooperate with his fiction that he is more victim than aggressor. French writes, “It’s time to stop excusing, rationalizing, and minimizing behavior that is dangerous, menacing, and threatening.” Indeed it is

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/calling-democrats-the-angry-mob-is-trumps-biggest-lie-yet.html
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 12:00
    @vivify said
    You mean besides the 15 other Republican candidates who ran in 2016?
    at least know what you are talking about...there were a total of 17 candidates. ignorance!

But I was referring to the choice between Trump and clinton.