Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Dec '09 17:52
    I had a opportunity back in the 80's to be working with a crew of "survivalists" Sometime during that period, the SKS rifle was selling in Salt Lake City for a hundred bucks and some change. These guys were buying them and ammo like it was gold. Preparing for an internal battle in the USA. Yea, it was something to behold.
    How far is our military stretched, and could we survive another war, if we get dragged into something with Iran? Are we ramping up over there, just in preparation for this eventual confrontation?
    A strong militia sounds like a great idea to me right now. I wish I had also bought those SKS rifles.
    Brought to you by a paranoid American, reaching old age. :-)
  2. 29 Dec '09 17:56 / 1 edit
    OR -- what if a bunch of these survivalists was to attempt a massive coup against the US government? Would we be able to suppress it? We always assume that terrorism will come from some Muslim fanatic in the Middle East. We always assume that violent coups only occur in countries far away. Are we prepared for the fanatics who are citizens in the US?
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    29 Dec '09 19:25
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    OR -- what if a bunch of these survivalists was to attempt a massive coup against the US government? Would we be able to suppress it? We always assume that terrorism will come from some Muslim fanatic in the Middle East. We always assume that violent coups only occur in countries far away. Are we prepared for the fanatics who are citizens in the US?
    If you had a rifle you could help suppress it.
  4. 30 Dec '09 01:17
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I had a opportunity back in the 80's to be working with a crew of "survivalists" Sometime during that period, the SKS rifle was selling in Salt Lake City for a hundred bucks and some change. These guys were buying them and ammo like it was gold. Preparing for an internal battle in the USA. Yea, it was something to behold.
    How far is our military stretche ...[text shortened]... d also bought those SKS rifles.
    Brought to you by a paranoid American, reaching old age. :-)
    The sks is a wonderful weapon.I love mine!
    as far as our military is concerned,are you kidding?!
    The best! And could many times larger at a moments notice if need be.
    Dont ever doubt the U.S. military
  5. 30 Dec '09 02:33
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    The sks is a wonderful weapon.I love mine!
    as far as our military is concerned,are you kidding?!
    The best! And could many times larger at a moments notice if need be.
    Dont ever doubt the U.S. military
    I think we are seeing how fast our army can be deployed. Take the latest troop build-up in Afgahnistan? Almost makes my head spin, how quickly we were able to jump on that, and then send roughly 2/3rd of what the commander on the ground requested. Please check, Obama meets with McCrystal for 30 minutes on the tarmac.... what a dam shame.
    I am not doubting the US Military, if they made their own decisions, and ran the game like it should be, I agree. But the talking heads in D.C. seem throw the brakes on.
    The Romans had the best Armies, and stayed in power, for far longer than the U.S. will
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Dec '09 03:11 / 1 edit
    I am not doubting the US Military, if they made their own decisions, and ran the game like it should be, I agree. But the talking heads in D.C. seem throw the brakes on.
    Like it should be?

You think the military should be able to act autonomously and without consent from your country's elected civilian leadership?
  7. 30 Dec '09 03:32
    I think they should be given priority over an Olympic bid showing.
    yes, we're talking kids over there waiting for help, not whether or not Chicago gets an Olympic bid for heck sakes. I am soo glad Brazil got it.
    The general gave his recommendation three months before that, just how long are you willing to sit in a fox hole waiting for some help?
    My nephew was there for 2 tours, he's ready to punch Obama in the nose about now.
  8. 30 Dec '09 03:33
    Oh, and speaking of elected officials, the only one we had, that put boots on the ground for his country,, didn't win unfortuneatly. Bet he wouldv'e acted much quicker
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Dec '09 03:43
    My nephew was there for 2 tours, he's ready to punch Obama in the nose about now.
    Criminals aside, sounds like your nephew is the worst kind of American.
  10. 30 Dec '09 04:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    Criminals aside, sounds like your nephew is the worst kind of American.
    That is an outrageous statement! His nephew has put his life on the line for two tours and you call him the "worst kind of american".
    Unbelievable!
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Dec '09 05:02
    That is an outrageous statement! His nephew has put his life on the line for two tours and you call him the "worst kind of american".
    Unbelievable!
    Volunteers for military service and then when things aren't to his liking he trash talks his own C-in-C with aggressive, violent language - motivated, it seems, by a propaganda dittohead talking point about the Olympic bid - no different from the quintessentially disloyal rantings we see on www.freerepublic.com??

Yes. Criminals aside, him - and his "I'd like to punch the president in the mouth" mates in the services - strike me as being the worst kind of Americans.

In FMFWorld he'd be run out of the military with a dishonorable discharge.
  12. 30 Dec '09 05:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Volunteers for military service and then when things aren't to his liking he trash talks his own C-in-C with aggressive, violent language - motivated, it seems, by a propaganda dittohead talking point about the Olympic bid - no different from the quintessentially disloyal rantings we see on www.freerepublic.com??

Yes. Criminals aside, him - and his "I'd like ...[text shortened]... of Americans.

In FMFWorld he'd be run out of the military with a dishonorable discharge.
    You put yourself in that situation and then you might have a valid opinion,you have no idea what you are talking about. When is the last time you were in combat?Were you ever in the military? You sound like just another blow hard. The man deserves an apology from you.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Dec '09 05:13
    You put yourself in that situation and then you might have a valid opinion,you have no idea what you are talking about.
    If his nephew talked about wanting to punch his own C-in-C in the mouth - because of some outrage manufactured by hate blogs - then he should be run out of the army.
  14. 30 Dec '09 05:15
    Lol,, just have to laugh at you...
    Things don't go his way what a stupid comment. More like, watching his Team getting blown to bits, funny how that gets a person riled up inside, riled up enough to come home and speak his piece,, oh but I forgot, you look at everything through your kool aide covered glasses.
    These kids voluntered to go, and have some kind of leadership behind them..... not some wanna be president drumming up business for his home state.
    I bet your a lobbyist? Maybe for ummm? Purina cat chow?
  15. 30 Dec '09 05:19
    Disloyal, is a person who puts the Olympics first. Over the safety of troops abroad... Say now he appointed McCrystal now didn't he!! Then when the fire gets hot,, he flys away for a vacation.... Yea a real commander in chief that guy is.