Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    07 May '16 22:39
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3578751/Italian-Ivy-League-economist-pulled-flight-seatmate-suspected-terrorist.html

    "Italian Ivy League economist pulled off flight and interrogated for 'mysterious'
    scribblings flagged by another passenger which turned out to be MATH"

    Another passenger apparently reported that Guido Menzio could be a terrorist
    because he was writing what she assumed were threats (in Arabic?, which she could not read).
    After he was removed from the airliner, Guido Menzio explained that he had
    been doing mathematics in preparing for a lecture that he was scheduled to give.
    If he were not a white European, then would his explanation have been accepted as readily?

    Given that there are people ignorant enough to believe that mathematical notation
    must be Arabic (apparently) and bigoted enough to assume that anything written
    in Arabic must be related to terrorism, I wonder when a dark-skinned bearded
    composer will be suspected of terrorism after he writes music aboard an airliner.
  2. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    07 May '16 22:501 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3578751/Italian-Ivy-League-economist-pulled-flight-seatmate-suspected-terrorist.html

    "Italian Ivy League economist pulled off flight and interrogated for 'mysterious'
    scribblings flagged by another passenger which turned out to be MATH"

    Another passenger apparently reported that Guido Menzio could be a terrori ...[text shortened]... inned bearded
    composer will be suspected of terrorism after he writes music aboard an airliner.
    Yep.....crazy lady complained, guy was questioned briefly for safety concern, was allowed back on plane and took off shortly after.
    Earth shattering news story, a regular Seldon Crisis.
    (10 points to anyone that knows what a Seldon Crisis is without googling it)
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 May '16 22:533 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64

    Given that there are people ignorant enough to believe that mathematical notation
    must be Arabic
    Well, they're called "Arabic numerals" for a reason.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 May '16 23:03
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yep.....crazy lady complained, guy was questioned briefly for safety concern, was allowed back on plane and took off shortly after.
    Earth shattering news story, a regular Seldon Crisis.
    (10 points to anyone that knows what a Seldon Crisis is without googling it)
    You're missing the point. This wouldn't have happened if he was white.
  5. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    07 May '16 23:08
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yep.....crazy lady complained, guy was questioned briefly for safety concern, was allowed back on plane and took off shortly after.
    Earth shattering news story, a regular Seldon Crisis.
    (10 points to anyone that knows what a Seldon Crisis is without googling it)
    The article states that the flight was delayed for more than two hours.
  6. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    07 May '16 23:11
    Originally posted by vivify to FishHead111
    You're missing the point. This wouldn't have happened if he was white.
    Actually, Guido Menzio (an Italian) *is* white. I suspect that if he would have been
    treated more skeptically and harshly if he looked like a stereotypical 'Muslim terrorist'.
  7. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    07 May '16 23:13
    Originally posted by vivify
    Well, they're called "Arabic numerals" for a reason.
    Aspiring 'racial profilers' would appear less ignorant if they knew that Arabic is written from right to left.
    So when they observe someone writing from left to right, it's not Arabic that's being written.
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    07 May '16 23:14
    Originally posted by vivify
    You're missing the point. This wouldn't have happened if he was white.
    He was white. Still is last I heard.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 May '16 23:322 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Aspiring 'racial profilers' would appear less ignorant if they knew that Arabic is written from right to left.
    So when they observe someone writing from left to right, it's not Arabic that's being written.
    It was a joke. I wasn't the least bit serious. I saw you making jokes in the spirituality forum, and figured it wouldn't hurt to make one here.
  10. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    07 May '16 23:38
    Originally posted by vivify
    It was a joke. I wasn't the least bit serious. I saw you making jokes in the spirituality forum, and figured it wouldn't hurt to make one here.
    I did not criticize Vivify's joke. I just added something factual about Arabic.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    08 May '16 00:23
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I did not criticize Vivify's joke. I just added something factual about Arabic.
    Just curious. When did Semitic languages begin to be written left to right?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35846
    08 May '16 00:421 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yep.....crazy lady complained, guy was questioned briefly for safety concern, was allowed back on plane and took off shortly after.
    Earth shattering news story, a regular Seldon Crisis.
    (10 points to anyone that knows what a Seldon Crisis is without googling it)
    A Seldon Crisis usually involves both an external pressure (such as threat of attack) and an internal pressure (such as threat of revolt). Both pressures will come to a head simultaneously, and be resolved with the same action. Named after Hari Seldon, in the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, he would appear by hologram at the conclusion of each new crisis, after it had been resolved. He had figured out how to manipulate psychohistory so that the solution action could be known in advance.

    Edit: I doubt this "crisis" you cite qualifies.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35846
    08 May '16 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Just curious. When did Semitic languages begin to be written left to right?
    Don't you mean "right-to-left"?

    Most are still "right-to-left" to this day, so they were never written "left-to-right".
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    08 May '16 01:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    A Seldon Crisis usually involves both an external pressure (such as threat of attack) and an internal pressure (such as threat of revolt). Both pressures will come to a head simultaneously, and be resolved with the same action. Named after Hari Seldon, in the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, he would appear by hologram at the conclusion of each ne ...[text shortened]... he solution action could be known in advance.

    Edit: I doubt this "crisis" you cite qualifies.
    Fantastic hard sci fi series.

    It gets weaker toward the end. I didn't like "the Mule". He kinda ruined the "hard sci fi" aspect of it somehow.
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65525
    08 May '16 01:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Just curious. When did Semitic languages begin to be written left to right?
    I'm guessing languages that are written left to right are that way because most people are right handed, so if you're right handed and write right to left your hand smudges over the ink, pencil or chalk.
Back to Top