Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 13:46
    Santorum got thumped in PR and now appears to be cruisin' for a bruisin' in the Land of Lincoln. Plus, the unflattering pic of him sunbathing with that pot belly hanging out (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/its-not-a-pretty-sight-santorum-on-shirtless-paparazzi-photo/) hurts him. William Howard Taft notwithstanding, for whatever reason, Americans don't elect fat people President (which may be why Christie isn't running). Santorum called stark attention to the fact that he could stand to shed a few pounds and that's probably good for a minus 2-3 points in the polls.

    If I were Santorum, I'd get up at my next press conference and promise to lose 15 pounds by election day.
  2. 19 Mar '12 14:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    Santorum got thumped in PR and now appears to be cruisin' for a bruisin' in the Land of Lincoln. Plus, the unflattering pic of him sunbathing with that pot belly hanging out (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/its-not-a-pretty-sight-santorum-on-shirtless-paparazzi-photo/) hurts him. William Howard Taft notwithstanding, for whatever reason, Americans don't elect fa ...[text shortened]... rum, I'd get up at my next press conference and promise to lose 15 pounds by election day.
    Is it really true that the American public can overlook so many of Santorum's idiotic views but not the fact that he is overweight?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 15:12
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Is it really true that the American public can overlook so many of Santorum's idiotic views but not the fact that he is overweight?
    Well, that's kind of a silly way of looking at it.

    Those who vote for him presumably do so because they agree with many of his views.
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    19 Mar '12 15:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    Well, that's kind of a silly way of looking at it.

    Those who vote for him presumably do so because they agree with many of his views.
    Wait. Didn't you just say his weight was an issue for voters? Now you're saying the opposite? I'm confused.
  5. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    19 Mar '12 15:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    Santorum got thumped in PR and now appears to be cruisin' for a bruisin' in the Land of Lincoln. Plus, the unflattering pic of him sunbathing with that pot belly hanging out (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/its-not-a-pretty-sight-santorum-on-shirtless-paparazzi-photo/) hurts him. William Howard Taft notwithstanding, for whatever reason, Americans don't elect fa ...[text shortened]... rum, I'd get up at my next press conference and promise to lose 15 pounds by election day.
    Every now and then, a reminder that New Yorkers are more fashion conscious than the rest of us.

  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 16:00
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Wait. Didn't you just say his weight was an issue for voters? Now you're saying the opposite? I'm confused.
    Things like appearance matter on the margins.

    Obviously, his base couldn't care less how he looks.
  7. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    19 Mar '12 16:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    Things like appearance matter on the margins.

    Obviously, his base couldn't care less how he looks.
    So it's those squishy Repubs in the middle who focus on things like the candidate's waist line, while the base focuses on the important stuff. Got it

    Well I think you're assigning to much weight to this issue (and Christie could crush Obama)
  8. 19 Mar '12 16:38
    Originally posted by sh76
    Well, that's kind of a silly way of looking at it.

    Those who vote for him presumably do so because they agree with many of his views.
    Even in our superficial world, it seems like the weight of a polarizing figure like Santorum should be irrelevant. If you think 3% of voters who change their vote based on a picture, it is a sad reflection on voters in general and what they believe is important.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 19:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    So it's those squishy Repubs in the middle who focus on things like the candidate's waist line, while the base focuses on the important stuff. Got it

    Well I think you're assigning to much weight to this issue (and Christie could crush Obama)
    Nice dig.

    But of course, it's not just the marginal moderate. It's also the people who are on the fence about voting all together or those considering this party candidates.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 19:49
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Even in our superficial world, it seems like the weight of a polarizing figure like Santorum should be irrelevant. If you think 3% of voters who change their vote based on a picture, it is a sad reflection on voters in general and what they believe is important.
    It's more subtle than that. People don't say "Oh, he's got a pot belly, I'm voting for Obama." But it strikes in slightly less enthusiasm, more media ribbing, etc.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 19:50 / 1 edit
    When was the last time we had a bald President? Ike, as far as I can recall.

    (And keep in mind that most Presidents are up there in age...)
  12. 19 Mar '12 20:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    When was the last time we had a bald President? Ike, as far as I can recall.

    (And keep in mind that most Presidents are up there in age...)
    Well, Bill Clinton depending on which head he was using! ZING!
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Mar '12 20:45
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Well, Bill Clinton depending on which head he was using! ZING!
  14. 19 Mar '12 22:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    Santorum got thumped in PR and now appears to be cruisin' for a bruisin' in the Land of Lincoln. Plus, the unflattering pic of him sunbathing with that pot belly hanging out (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/its-not-a-pretty-sight-santorum-on-shirtless-paparazzi-photo/) hurts him. William Howard Taft notwithstanding, for whatever reason, Americans don't elect fa ...[text shortened]... rum, I'd get up at my next press conference and promise to lose 15 pounds by election day.
    I always wondered about that with Christie. He did get elected governor of NJ. And he seems to have the charisma and stage presence (and confidence) that sways people. Yet, again, he does have the weight issue.
  15. 19 Mar '12 22:23
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Is it really true that the American public can overlook so many of Santorum's idiotic views but not the fact that he is overweight?
    Yes. (If he were more overweight.) People vote a candidate for the most inane reasons, which often having nothing or little to do with the issues.