Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 19:311 edit
    Many women have said that it can be dangerous to work as journalists.
    Many journalists have said that it can be dangerous to report on corruption.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/07/tv-journalist-brutally-murdered-in-bulgarian-town-of-ruse

"Bulgarian TV journalist raped and murdered in Danube town of Ruse.
    Viktoria Marinova, 30, had reported on investigation into corruption involving EU funds."

"Bivol.bg owner Asen Yordanov however told AFP that his media had
    received credible information that its journalists were in danger of being
    assaulted because of the investigation that also appeared on Marinova’s show.

“Viktoria’s death, the brutal manner in which she was killed, is an execution.
    It was meant to serve as an example, something like a warning,” Yordanov added."

"Bulgaria was ranked 111 out of 180 countries in the Reporters
    Without Borders world press freedom index this year, lower than
    any other EU member and also lower than other countries in the
    western Balkans, some of which are candidates for EU membership."

P.S. Does the instant 'thumbs down' come from a supporter of Bulgaria's government?
    Or, more likely, from a sexist troll who wants to censor violence against women?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 20:48
    It was not from me.

Yes, I guess she will be the poster child into real journalism who dares expose the corruption within government and unions.

I know in the US journalists have no such fears and never will.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 21:07
    @whodey said
    It was not from me.

Yes, I guess she will be the poster child into real journalism who dares expose the corruption within government and unions.

I know in the US journalists have no such fears and never will.
    On June 28, 2018, a mass shooting occurred at the offices of The Capital, a newspaper serving Annapolis, Maryland. The gunman, Jarrod Ramos, shot and killed five employees with a shotgun. Two others were injured while trying to escape. Ramos was arrested shortly after and is currently imprisoned while awaiting trial for the shooting.[3]

The newspaper published an article in 2011 about Ramos being put on probation for harassing an acquaintance from high school through social media and email. Ramos, angered by the article, brought a defamation lawsuit against The Capital; a judge later dismissed the suit. Ramos is alleged to have sent enraged letters and messages to the newspaper's offices about his threats to attack the office and its staff; no legal action was taken after the threats were received.[4]

Currently, the shooting is the third-deadliest mass shooting of 2018, after the February 2018 Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, where a shooter killed 17 people and injured 17 others, and the May 2018 Santa Fe High School shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, where 10 people were shot and killed and 13 others were wounded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Gazette_shooting
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 21:201 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    On June 28, 2018, a mass shooting occurred at the offices of The Capital, a newspaper serving Annapolis, Maryland. The gunman, Jarrod Ramos, shot and killed five employees with a shotgun. Two others were injured while trying to escape. Ramos was arrested shortly after and is currently imprisoned while awaiting trial for the shooting.[3]

The newspaper published ...[text shortened]... d killed and 13 others were wounded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Gazette_shooting
    They were investigating government corruption?

Don't think so.

Naturally, if you write anything bad about someone you run this risk, unless, of course, it's about Trump.

Isn't that odd? Mr. Hitler has such restraint when it comes to the bashing media.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 22:461 edit
    @whodey said
    They were investigating government corruption?
    Don't think so.

Naturally, if you write anything bad about someone you run this risk, unless, of course, it's about Trump.

Isn't that odd? Mr. Hitler has such restraint when it comes to the bashing media.
    (Whodey replied to KazetNagorra.)

The fanatical right-wing American troll Whodey spews more falsehoods.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/here-are-7-public-figures-who-have-received-death-threats-criticizing-president

"Here Are 7 Public Figures Who Have Received Death Threats for Criticizing President Trump.
    A long list of people—from journalists to politicians to union organizers—have been targeted."

"Supporters of President Donald Trump can be incredibly thin-skinned whenever
    their idol is criticized in any way, and some of the more extreme ones have been
    resorting to death threats and sometimes, rape threats as well. On August 3,
    MSNBC’s Katy Tur revealed that she had received a threatening message from a
    Trump supporter, saying, “I hope you get raped and killed”"

"A long list of people—from journalists to politicians to union organizers—have
    been targeted for death threats after criticizing the president. It would be one thing
    if the threats made against Tur or Sinha were only coming from the occasional
    lone kook, but one is seeing a disturbing pattern in which, time and time again,
    criticism of Trump is followed by a barrage of death threats—and it illustrates the
    authoritarian mindset of many Trump supporters and the cult-like devotion they
    have to him. "

"Both CNN and its competitor MSNBC have been ongoing targets of Trump supporters.
    Threats against the cable news outlets—both of which Trump has repeatedly denounced
    as providers of “fake news”—have been numerous. And in some cases, Trumpistas
    have not only gone after CNN employees, but their families as well. In addition to
    receiving death threats from Trump supporters, CNN’s Andrew Kaczynski was
    appalled to learn that his wife and parents were receiving dozens of harassing,
    threatening phone calls in response to his reporting on the president."
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 22:55
    @duchess64 said

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/here-are-7-public-figures-who-have-received-death-threats-criticizing-president

"Here Are 7 Public Figures Who Have Received Death Threats for Criticizing President Trump.
    A long list of people—from journalists to polit ...[text shortened]... iving dozens of harassing,
    Death threats?

I thought we were talking about a savage rape and murder.

My bad.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:081 edit
    @whodey said
    Death threats?

I thought we were talking about a savage rape and murder.

My bad.
    "I know in the US journalists have no such fears and never will."
    --Whodey

FALSE. Some American journalists have been threatened with rape or murder after criticizing Donald Trump.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:25
    @duchess64 said
    "I know in the US journalists have no such fears and never will."
    --Whodey

FALSE. Some American journalists have been threatened with rape or murder after criticizing Donald Trump.
    So you would fear a bunch of threats that never came to fruition, or an actual rape and murder?

Do you think anymore journalists will dig into this story?

Conversely, all the threats in the world don't stop the looney Left from their attacks.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:37
    @whodey said
    So you would fear a bunch of threats that never came to fruition, or an actual rape and murder?

Do you think anymore journalists will dig into this story?

Conversely, all the threats in the world don't stop the looney Left from their attacks.
    How can the right-wing American troll Whodey possibly know that none of his right-wing cohorts
    will act out their threats of rape or murder against journalists who criticize Donald Trump?

In the USA, there's significantly more terrorism by right-wing white Americans than by Muslims.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:42
    @duchess64 said
    How can the right-wing American troll Whodey possibly know that none of his right-wing cohorts
    will act out their threats of rape or murder against journalists who criticize Donald Trump?

In the USA, there's significantly more terrorism by right-wing white Americans than by Muslims.
    What I'm saying is, actions speak louder than words.

For example, a liberal may receive threats about blaspheming the name of Jesus, but how many people die from that?

Conversely, those who do the same to Mohammad often suffer a different fate.

As a result, people will more likely be scared to speak evil of Mohammad.

It's just that simple.

Going after liberal and unions is equivalent to offending Muslims.

They will rape and kill you.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 00:54
    @whodey said
    What I'm saying is, actions speak louder than words.

For example, a liberal may receive threats about blaspheming the name of Jesus, but how many people die from that?

Conversely, those who do the same to Mohammad often suffer a different fate.

As a result, people will more likely be scared to speak evil of Mohammad.

It's just that simple.

Going after liberal and unions is equivalent to offending Muslims.

They will rape and kill you.
    Is the right-wing American troll Whodey promising that right-wing white Americans
    never will commit any more acts of terrorism? Given that they have committed
    so many before, why should they suddenly stop?
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 01:08
    Saudi Arabia allegedly sent a hit squad to murder a dissident journalist in Turkey.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/08/jamal-khashoggi-turkey-search-black-van-carried-body-saudi-arabia

"Jamal Khashoggi: Turkey hunts black van it believes carried body
    Officials search for vehicle they say was part of convoy belonging to Saudi hit squad"

"Nearly a week since Khashoggi disappeared, Recep Tayyip Erdo─čan stepped up his calls
    for Riyadh to explain what happened to the high-profile critic of the Saudi leadership."

If enough evidence emerges that Saudi Arabia was responsible for his death or disappearance,
    then the USA and UK should enact sanctions against Saudi Arabia similar to those against Russia.
    But I suspect that the USA and UK will prefer to keep selling billions (USD) in arms to Saudi Arabia.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:18
    @whodey said
    You are right as usual whodey.
    It only makes sense to fear events that will happen.

Pass the crystal ball round.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:51
    @duchess64 said

A long list of people—from journalists to polit ...[text shortened]... iving dozens of harassing,
    more he said she said...please provide proof instead of claims.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:52
    @duchess64 said
    Is the right-wing American troll Whodey promising that right-wing white Americans
    never will commit any more acts of terrorism? Given that they have committed
    so many before, why should they suddenly stop?
    please give the name of a right wing American that has committed terrorism.