1. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 22:40
    and, Gordon and Barry are ONLY the top two liberals in the top two English-speaking nations of the world.
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 00:58
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    us, as in hoi polloi! the convenient tools of the elites, liberal or conservative!
    Like the media over here, you are struggling to make an intelligible argument out of a non event. The idea that your views - as expressed on this site - are somehow those of the hoi polloi is really not worth debating.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 01:23
    and, Gordon and Barry are ONLY the top two liberals in the top two English-speaking nations of the world.
    Who cares? Do you think that actually means that your idiotic generalization is valid?
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 02:28
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Like the media over here, you are struggling to make an intelligible argument out of a non event. The idea that your views - as expressed on this site - are somehow those of the hoi polloi is really not worth debating.
    really? FIVE of the top TEN election stories! how often does that happen except on election night?

well, it is the topic of five of the top ten Election stories on BBC dot com today. ...[/i]
  5. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 02:28
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Who cares? Do you think that actually means that your idiotic generalization is valid?
    see above post.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 02:36
    see above post.
    Which one? I don't see any that changes anything.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 02:55
    if Obama and Brown can't be said to speak for liberals, then who can?
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 03:03
    if Obama and Brown can't be said to speak for liberals, then who can?
    NO ONE. No one speaks for all liberals just like no one speaks for all conservatives.

Do you really think any large group can be represented accurately in full by one or two people?
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 03:19
    NO ONE. No one speaks for all liberals just like no one speaks for all conservatives.

Do you really think any large group can be represented accurately in full by one or two people?
    I thought Z represented all 14-year-old unthinking quoters?
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 03:43

there are not 6 billion prime ministers and presidents in the world, or hadn't you noticed?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 06:30
    you shouldn't tease KzN, he's not a native and might not understand.
    Oh but I do. I just don't think your black-and-white world where people can only have two possible sets of viewpoints does reality justice. You sure must get very confused if the US ever adopts a multi-party system and you find that people cannot be pigeonholed into two categories.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 11:35
    there are not 6 billion prime ministers and presidents in the world, or hadn't you noticed?
    I did notice that, but that is also irrelevant. The lack of 6 billion heads of states in the world doesn't give you any reason to say that because of that then one is enough.

Just because someone is a prime minister or president and a liberal doesn't mean every liberal agrees with everything they do or say. That's just plain simple grade school logic, but apparently that's a bit hard for you.

The fact that they are prime ministers or president means that there are enough who agree with their politics to vote for them, not that those who vote for them believe and agree with absolutely everything they do or say ever.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 11:41
    I did notice that, but that is also irrelevant. The lack of 6 billion heads of states in the world doesn't give you any reason to say that because of that then one is enough.

Just because someone is a prime minister or president and a liberal doesn't mean every liberal agrees with everything they do or say. That's just plain simple grade school logic, ...[text shortened]... at those who vote for them believe and agree with absolutely everything they do or say ever.
    Particularly when you only have two choices, one should expect significant deviations between the viewpoints of candidates and that of the electorate. Heck, I have about 10 choices who have a realistic shot at power and I disagree with my choice on plenty of points.
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 12:09
    really? FIVE of the top TEN election stories! how often does that happen except on election night?

[b]well, it is the topic of five of the top ten Election stories on BBC dot com today. ...[/i]
    [/b]
    Media coverage of politics is not unlike debating on these forums. You start with a topic, get distracted by a red herring and then get totally heated over some esoteric triviality.

I used to write reports for discussion by political committees. Tiny proof reading errors generated endless debate among the politicians (and as much among senior managers prior to committee meetings). I adopted a policy of not correcting such errors. e.g. Two sets of figures differ by one digit owing to the way decimals are rounded up or down. I found that as long as the politicians had an enjoyable time picking up these proof reading errors, the content of the report was ignored and it was invariably approved.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 17:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Oh but I do. I just don't think your black-and-white world where people can only have two possible sets of viewpoints does reality justice. You sure must get very confused if the US ever adopts a multi-party system and you find that people cannot be pigeonholed into two categories.
    😵 ... the Liberal Democrats (or rather their ancestors, the Liberals) last provided a Prime Minister in 1922!