Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    20 Mar '13 06:40
    MILLER: Where’s the concern? Seven Marines die and Obama tweets this picture of snack time

First Lady Michelle Obama and President Obama shown during “snack time” in the Oval Office. The photo was tweeted by Obama’s former campaign arm, now known as Organizing for Action.
    By Emily Miller -The Washington Times Tuesday, March 19, 2013
    President Obama is still so fixated on fundraising and divisive campaign tactics that major tragedies and world crises get ignored.

At 10:40 a.m. Tuesday, the @BarackObama Twitter feed posted a tweet that said “Snack time” along with a photo of two small children picking up apples from a bowl in the Oval Office.

First Lady Michelle Obama, who has been on a national media tour to discuss childhood obesity, is shown sitting with the toddlers in the photo, holding her own apple. The infamous White House branded M&M boxes are, of course, nowhere to be found.

The president is seen chatting in the background.

The feed is managed by Organizing for Action, which took over high-dollar fundraising after Obama for America won its final election. It’s run by Mr. Obama’s former campaign guru Jim Messina.

An hour earlier, @BarackObama posted an attack on a supposed congressional Republican effort to cut education spending. It asked people to retweet if they agreed with the point, but gave no explanation for what “severe cuts” were up for debate.

While the president is tweeting about apples and political fights, the families of seven Marines tragically killed Monday in a training exercise are mourning their loss.

The Syrian government accused rebels of using chemical weapons in an attack Tuesday.

The House of Representatives has started debating its annual budget, while Mr. Obama’s budget is now seven weeks past the statutory deadline.

Pope Francis I rode into St. Peters Square for his installation Mass. Vice President Joseph R. Biden was in attendance.

Iraq is going through a wave of violence, with 53 dead at last report.

The @WhiteHouse Twitter account has not been updated at all since Monday evening, nor has Press Secretary Jay Carney’s account.

Mr. Obama needs to stop running political campaigns and start acting like the commander in chief and leader of the free world. And let kids visiting the Oval Office eat the M&Ms.
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Mar '13 07:21
    I can't see any problem with the @BarackObama Twitter feed being used for what it's supposed to be used for: reporting on events at the White House and the like. If anyone at the White House was arguing for a twitter message to be sent out on that feed about the death of the marines, it's just as well they lost that argument.

The White House Press Office, also doing what it's supposed to do, said (on that Tuesday morning) "The President’s thoughts and prayers go to the families of those who were lost and to those who are injured. We're obviously in the early stages of assessing the incident. It's a tragedy, clearly. And the President was briefed immediately on -- and made aware of it immediately and briefed on it, and we're monitoring the situation."

What would be more worrying would be if the president's opponents started trying to take advantage of the tragic deaths of the seven Marines to take cheap shots at him. I think the dead marines deserve a bit more respect than Emily Miller has shown them.
  3. 20 Mar '13 08:58
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    MILLER: Where’s the concern? Seven Marines die and Obama tweets this picture of snack time

First Lady Michelle Obama and President Obama shown during “snack time” in the Oval Office. The photo was tweeted by Obama’s former campaign arm, now known as Organizing for Action.
    By Emily Miller -The Washington Times Tuesday, March 19, 2013
    President Obama ...[text shortened]... ander in chief and leader of the free world. And let kids visiting the Oval Office eat the M&Ms.
    are you serious?
  4. 20 Mar '13 10:50 / 3 edits
    Meh....the tweet doesn't bother me as much as Obama's infamous "shout out" to Joe medicine crow just a second before he told the nation about the Fort Hood disaster in which several dozen GI's were shot by a crazed muslim major.

"I wanna give a special shout out to joe medicine crow oh by the way 40 GI's were just shot an 13 are dead "
    A reprehensible and stupid way to behave.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Mar '13 12:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    Meh....the tweet doesn't bother me as much as Obama's infamous "shout out" to Joe medicine crow just a second before he told the nation about the Fort Hood disaster in which several dozen GI's were shot by a crazed muslim major.

"I wanna give a special shout out to joe medicine crow oh by the way 40 GI's were just shot an 13 are dead "
    A reprehensible and stupid way to behave.
    Here's the clip of what I assume you are referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkbBPsPSIrA

The president's demeanour seems fine to me. What you have quoted Obama as saying - "oh by the way 40 GI's were just shot an 13 are dead" - is something you've just made up, it seems. This quote is not in the short speech. He didn't say that at all.

In fact as soon as I read what you "quoted" him as saying, I had a hunch you were making it up - and I was curious enough to investigate what he had, in fact, said - and how he'd said it. Sure enough, I found your "quote" was a fake one, and the spin you're trying to apply to what actually happened is bogus.

He was making remarks at the end of a conference. The short speech was mostly given over to his comments on the Fort Hood massacre. Indeed, he cut short what he intended to say about the conference and talked about Fort Hood instead.

"Please, everybody, have a seat. Let me first of all just thank Ken and the entire Department of the Interior staff for organizing just an extraordinary conference. I want to thank my Cabinet members and senior administration officials who participated today. I hear that Dr. Joe Medicine Crow was around, and so I want to give a shout out to that Congressional Medal of Honor winner. It's good to see you.

My understanding is is that you had an extremely productive conference. I want to thank all of you for coming and for your efforts, and I want to give you my solemn guarantee that this is not the end of a process, but the beginning of a process and that we are going to follow up.

We are going to follow up. Every single member of my team understands that this is a top priority for us. I want you to know that, as I said this morning, this -- this is not something that we just give lip service to. And we are going to keep on working with you to make sure that the first Americans get the best possible chances in life in a way that's consistent with your extraordinary traditions and culture and values.

Now, I have to say, though, that beyond that, I had planned to make some broader remarks about the challenges that lay ahead for Native Americans as well as collaboration with our administration.

But as some of you might have heard, there has been a tragic shooting at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas. We don't yet know all the details at this moment. We will share them as we get them.

What we do know is that a number of American soldiers have been killed, and even more have been wounded in a horrific outburst of violence.

My immediate thoughts and prayers are with the wounded and with the families of the fallen and with those who live and serve at Fort Hood.

These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk and at times give their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis.

It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas.

It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil.

I've spoken to Secretary Gates and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, and I will continue to receive a constant stream of updates as new information comes in.

We are working with the Pentagon, the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, all to ensure that Fort Hood is secure and we will continue to support the community with the full resources of the federal government. In the meantime, I would ask all Americans to keep the men and women of Fort Hood in your thoughts and prayers. We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident, and I want all of you to know that as commander-in-chief, there's no greater honor, but also no greater responsibility for me than to make sure that the extraordinary men and women in uniform are properly cared for an that their safety and security when they are at home is provided for.

So we are going to stay on this, but I hope in the meantime that all of you recognize the scope of this tragedy and keep everybody in their thoughts and prayers. Again, thank you for your participation here today. I am confident that this is going to be resulting in terrific work between this government and your governments in the weeks, the months and years to come. God bless you and God bless the United States of America.
    "

Far from being an "oh by the way 40 GI's were just shot" type comment, he made proper and dignified comments, and spoke with respect; it totally overshadowed his comments marking the end of the conference, and quite rightly so.

More importantly, he got it the right way around - he could hardly have name-checked and thanked Ken and the entire Department of the Interior staff, Dr. Joe Medicine Crow and his Cabinet members and senior administration officials" AFTER his solemn announcement about Fort Hood - it HAD to come before. So he got it more or less right, which is presumably why you felt the need to make stuff up about it

Anyone can look at the clip for themselves.
  6. 20 Mar '13 12:41
    What amazes me about threads like this is that it implies that either Obama has absolutely perfect polices, or his opponents simply don't have the ability to actually find anything wrong with them.
    But then threads like this make the opposition look so stupid that I am starting to think they are in fact members of the Obama administration posing as opposition in order to discredit the republicans. If so, its working.
  7. 20 Mar '13 13:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Here's the clip of what I assume you are referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkbBPsPSIrA

The president's demeanour seems fine to me. What you have quoted Obama as saying - [b]"oh by the way 40 GI's were just shot an 13 are dead"
    - is something you've just made up, it seems. This quote is not in the short speech. He didn't say that at all.

...[text shortened]... make stuff up about it

Anyone can look at the clip for themselves.[/b]
    By all means, let them look at the clip for themselves:
    He was addressing the country about a national tragedy and blabbered on at the beginning for 5 minutes about some stupid meeting then said he wanted to give a "shout out" to joe medicine crow, medal of honor winner (which was wrong, crow was a congressional medal of freedom recipient).
    Sugar coat it all you want it was inappropriate vulgar and stupid, the next day everybody was talking about insensitive it was except the the libtarded media which loves Obongo no matter what he does.
  8. 20 Mar '13 13:25
    What I actually find offensive is the fact that every time Americans are killed, right wingers pretend to give a damn and try to score cheap political points.
  9. 20 Mar '13 13:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What amazes me about threads like this is that it implies that either Obama has absolutely perfect polices, or his opponents simply don't have the ability to actually find anything wrong with them.
    But then threads like this make the opposition look so stupid that I am starting to think they are in fact members of the Obama administration posing as opposition in order to discredit the republicans. If so, its working.
    Republicans need no help discrediting themselves. The likes of Sarah Palin and The Donald have driven intelligent Republicans to become Independents who vote for Democrates. Not inviting Chris Christie to CPAC was one more stupid move that pushes intelligent Republicans out of the GOP.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Mar '13 13:38
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    By all means, let them look at the clip for themselves:
    He was addressing the country about a national tragedy and blabbered on at the beginning for 5 minutes about some stupid meeting then said he wanted to give a "shout out" to joe medicine crow, medal of honor winner (which was wrong, crow was a congressional medal of freedom recipient).
    Sugar co ...[text shortened]... t insensitive it was except the the libtarded media which loves Obongo no matter what he does.
    Like I said, anyone can look at the clip for themselves.

They will find that you had to make up a fake quote to try to get some traction from it.

[He] blabbered on at the beginning for 5 minutes about some stupid meeting ....

Five minutes? No he didn't. You're just making stuff up. And you're trying to use the deaths of 13 U.S. soldiers to score the cheapest of cheap shots.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Mar '13 14:19
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    What I actually find offensive is the fact that every time Americans are killed, right wingers pretend to give a damn and try to score cheap political points.
    When Obama said, "These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk - and at times give - their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis. It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil", I am fairly sure he was hitting the nail upon the head on behalf of most Americans.
  12. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    20 Mar '13 15:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I'm a former Marine, you chucklehead. I understand that life and American values have no worth to you, but don't project your nihilism on to me.

EDIT: If you want to talk about "scoring cheap political points", let's talk about Harry Reid using these dead Marines to talk about the sequester. That's cheap.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Mar '13 15:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I'm a former Marine, you chucklehead. I understand that life and American values have no worth to you, but don't project your nihilism on to me.
    I think that using the deaths of military personnel to try to score cheap political points is one of your "American values" that USArmyParatrooper does not subscribe to.
  14. 20 Mar '13 15:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think that using the deaths of military personnel to try to score cheap political points is one of your "American values" that USArmyParatrooper does not subscribe to you.
    In the past when different group continually counted the number dead in Iraq or Vietnam were they similarly using the death of military personnel to try to score cheap political points. Or, because you might be more inclined with their actual concerns, you are more likely to consider their concerns genuine?
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Mar '13 15:47
    Originally posted by quackquack
    In the past when different group continually counted the number dead in Iraq or Vietnam were they similarly using the death of military personnel to try to score cheap political points. Or, because you might be more inclined with their actual concerns, you are more likely to consider their concerns genuine?
    On this thread you have two different posters trying to milk tabloid partisan hatchet points from dead military personnel. Obama wasn't attempting to do anything of the sort, in either case raised. Whereas his two critics were. On the other hand, if one opposes the conduct or the rationale for a war - like with Vietnam or Iraq - and you want to see it ended and the servicemen or women brought home to safety, then talking about the number of them who are being killed is "genuine", for sure. I know you have a conservative outlook, but surely you cannot be comfortable with the two shallow, poisonous, military-ambulance-chasing attacks made on your president in this thread?