Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 09:27
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Without reading your post, I can safely say you are wrong.

You always are.
    If anything rational can be said about any subject, you cone away with posts that make Trump sound like an intellectual.

There’s no reason, what-so-ever to expect this post to be any different.
    Without reading your post, I can safely say you are wrong.
    God, could you be more transparent, more proud about your closed mind.
    It's almost as though you don't need anyone else: you could hold a debate all by yourself!
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 09:32
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    What exactly can you learn in a classroom with no teacher present that you can't learn in a study hall monitored by school personnel?

The district issued a statement including this salient point:

In all three high schools, students who chose not to participate in the memorial gatherings were offered the opportunity to remain in the building, under ...[text shortened]... e an alternative, supervised location.

http://www.hilliardschools.org/facts-about-gatherings/
    "Those wishing to voice their support for the cause, meet by the flag pole at the appropriate time."

"Those who do not want to support those dead kids, who do not want to honor their memory, who think dead kids in a classroom is just the price we pay for keeping guns holy, please meet in study hall at the appropriate time."

What's a kid supposed to do?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 09:41
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    A thorough reading of the event in question reveals that positioning himself in either of the designated spots was, in his mind, voicing an opinion on the matter.
    The only way to voice an "unaffiliated" position was to do exactly what he did, i.e., choose neither of what the school offered to address the special circumstance.
    Ironic that the one ...[text shortened]... their own agenda, willing to employ anyone, anything to achieve their desired end?
    Despicable.
    This reminds me of that lone Steeler who decided to take the field during the National Anthem because he was a war Vet and did not want to be disrespectful to his country. Later, he changed his tune because he realized that his teammates were pissed off at him, so he claimed he got lost?

Sad.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 20:431 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    This reminds me of that lone Steeler who decided to take the field during the National Anthem because he was a war Vet and did not want to be disrespectful to his country. Later, he changed his tune because he realized that his teammates were pissed off at him, so he claimed he got lost?

Sad.
    You're lying as usual; he claimed no such thing.http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20819284/alejandro-villanueva-pittsburgh-steelers-standing-alone-intentional
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 20:441 edit
    "Those wishing to voice their support for the cause, meet by the flag pole at the appropriate time."

"Those who do not want to support those dead kids, who do not want to honor their memory, who think dead kids in a classroom is just the price we pay for keeping guns holy, please meet in study hall at the appropriate time."

What's a kid supposed to do?
    Not invent BS like the quotes you just fabricated.

According to the district, slightly more than half of the students did not participate in the service/rally whatever you want to call it and went to the study halls. I doubt they agree with your second statement.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 21:22
    Not invent BS like the quotes you just fabricated.

According to the district, slightly more than half of the students did not participate in the service/rally whatever you want to call it and went to the study halls. I doubt they agree with your second statement.
    The quotation marks weren't intended to be taken as quotes, but rather to denote a paraphrase of the view from his perspective.
    Don't overthink it and project what isn't there.
    He explained that he considered a choice for either as inappropriate, and was left with only one option: don't vote, stay where he's supposed to be, i.e., in class.
    Pretty simple stuff.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 21:48
    The quotation marks weren't intended to be taken as quotes, but rather to denote a paraphrase of the view from his perspective.
    Don't overthink it and project what isn't there.
    He explained that he considered a choice for either as inappropriate, and was left with only one option: don't vote, stay where he's supposed to be, i.e., in class.
    Pretty simple stuff.
    He's not supposed to be in a classroom with no teacher present.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 22:04
    That's nice, and although tangentially connected--- that was the express cause of suspension--- it otherwise conceals the real malfeasance.
    Namely, what does a teacher do?
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 22:491 edit
    Duty of care means the school will always minimise risk, and not allow third option choices because that would spread staff out too thinly to supervise every student.

I can just imagine the reaction of that same parent, if their kid was allowed their choice and left on their own and something untoward happened to them, or they did something because someone "provoked" them...
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:081 edit
    He was in the classroom where class was SUPPOSE to be held.

This is taxpayer money being spent to educate children. Instead, they are sent protesting for the DNC.

Disgusting.

There are lots of issues out there to protest about, such as Americans dying of drug overdoses in record numbers. Our youth are suffering greatly from it, yet no protests to object to the lax laws dealing with drug dealers or securing the border so drugs have a harder time getting into the country? Far more people die from drug overdoses, but I suppose the school system and DNC are OK with that.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 00:24
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Duty of care means the school will always minimise risk, and not allow third option choices because that would spread staff out too thinly to supervise every student.

I can just imagine the reaction of that same parent, if their kid was allowed their choice and left on their own and something untoward happened to them, or they did something because someone "provoked" them...
    So let's do some basic math.
    1. Number of teachers before the walk-out: _______.
    2. Number of teachers during walk-out: _______.
    3. Number of teachers resuming classes after the walk-out: _______.

Add the results of 1, 2, and 3.
    Divide by three.
    This is the same number as the result for 1, 2, and 3, each.
    Since that number is the same in all three scenarios, there could not have been a shortage of teaching staff during the walk-out if school was allowed to start, since the quantity needed to begin was the same as was present throughout all scenarios.
    Where else would the teachers be, if not in their classrooms, unless they were all assigned to squeeze into that study hall?
    Out with the kids?
    Handling media?

What do teachers do?
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 01:361 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    He was in the classroom where class was SUPPOSE to be held.

This is taxpayer money being spent to educate children. Instead, they are sent protesting for the DNC.

Disgusting.

There are lots of issues out there to protest about, such as Americans dying of drug overdoses in record numbers. Our youth are suffering greatly from it, yet no protests to ...[text shortened]... r more people die from drug overdoses, but I suppose the school system and DNC are OK with that.
    The fact is this was a student initiated response to the Parkland tragedy. Schools choose to respect the wishes of students to have appropriate memorial services that students were free to attend or not. Such things are pretty routine; one of my first memories is being let out of school early in the afternoon after JFK was killed. I doubt that even right wing nuts at the time screeched that kids should have been left in their classrooms to "learn" and how "disgusting" it was that they weren't.
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 07:271 edit
    So let's do some basic math.
    1. Number of teachers before the walk-out: _______.
    2. Number of teachers during walk-out: _______.
    3. Number of teachers resuming classes after the walk-out: _______.

Add the results of 1, 2, and 3.
    Divide by three.
    This is the same number as the result for 1, 2, and 3, each.
    Since that number is the same in all t ...[text shortened]... queeze into that study hall?
    Out with the kids?
    Handling media?

What do teachers do?
    Let's just look over some basic student staffing ratios and conclude you must have been home-schooled.

Let's say 1 teacher per 20 students. And let's say 30 teachers, 600 students. So 200 students go to the memorial, requires around 10 teachers to supervise. 400 go to study hall and you have 20 teachers to mingle around them. But in your scenario if 10 students were in 10 different rooms, half of your teachers looking after the 400(390) now have to be present alone with a student in a room. And you just know how happy the 10 teachers in study hall will be where each one has almost double the number of students to manage.

But who supervises the supervisors? Who monitors the teacher alone in a room with a single student. Don't they have rules or protocols where teachers avoid being in a room alone with a student to avoid any opportunity of monkey business, or being accused of monkey business?

So risk minimisation at schools dictate that most directives have binary options, because with crowd control, having too many options only results in chaos.