Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:06
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    A narrow majority of voters was in favour of leaving the EU in the recent referendum. A narrow majority of U.K. citizens is currently in favour of staying in the EU according to opinion polls.
    You don't reverse elections based on opinion polls.

If you did, the next logical step would be to not have the election, but to have the opinion poll instead.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Raised from what? Pre brexit levels or post-brexit levels?
    And what did they base their forecasts on?
    And are you expecting to brexit before the end of 2017 anyway?
    Are you sure you know what you are talking about?
    The proof will be in the pudding.

You also said to sell all your US stocks when Trump was elected, and that was an overreaction.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    You don't reverse elections based on opinion polls.

If you did, the next logical step would be to not have the election, but to have the opinion poll instead.
    There was no election. There was an advisory referendum. UK MPs can do whatever they want - they opted to betray their country out of cynical political self-preservation instead of ignoring the result of the referendum like they should have. Of course, if Cameron hadn't been such a worthless imbecile, there would have been no referendum in the first place.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:17
    There was no election. There was an advisory referendum. UK MPs can do whatever they want - they opted to betray their country out of cynical political self-preservation instead of ignoring the result of the referendum like they should have. Of course, if Cameron hadn't been such a worthless imbecile, there would have been no referendum in the first place.
    What do you mean by "advisory"?

MPs are appointed to execute the will of the people. There is no betrayal - your heart is just skipping a beat.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What do you mean by "advisory"?

MPs are appointed to execute the will of the people. There is no betrayal - your heart is just skipping a beat.
    The referendum was advisory - it was not legally binding.

MPs are supposed to serve the interests of the electorate, which includes addressing legitimate grievances while not indulging appalling racists like phil3000. Doing the latter is cowardice to the extreme and sets us on the path to the next global armed conflict.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:34

MPs are supposed to serve the interests of the electorate, which includes addressing legitimate grievances while not indulging appalling racists like phil3000. Doing the latter is cowardice to the extreme and sets us on the path to the next global armed conflict.
    Ah the "racism" card, didn't think it would be long after the "Christian" card.

That's the trouble with Brexit everyone who voted for it is an uneducated racist.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 21:55
    Ah the "racism" card, didn't think it would be long after the "Christian" card.

That's the trouble with Brexit everyone who voted for it is an uneducated racist.
    Phil3000 is "everyone"?
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 22:01
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Phil3000
    I think your excuse for your abysmal mastery of the English language leaves much to be desired.
    If you went to a school where no proper English was taught, there still remain plenty of
    opportunities to better yourself. Have you considered following an online course?
    The nearly illiterate Phil3000 has liked to excuse his abysmal English by claiming to be working-class.

Richard Burton, a native speaker of Welsh, learned how to speak English rather well.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 22:101 edit
    Phil3000 is "everyone"?
    You're the one who used him as a simile for a voting demographic.

Edit: actually you didn't. I apologise..
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 22:111 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The nearly illiterate Phil3000 has liked to excuse his abysmal English by claiming to be working-class.
    Many people claim to be something. Don't they.
  11. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 22:46
    I think your excuse for your abysmal mastery of the English language leaves much to be desired. If you went to a school where no proper English was taught, there still remain plenty of opportunities to better yourself. Have you considered following an online course?
    Have you considered taking your head from your backside you snob .
    " there still remain plenty of opportunities " is that your mastery of English ?
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 22:56

" appalling racists like phil300 "
    Explain why you call me a racist .
    Everything you and silly bollocks Duchess don't agree on you bring out the racist card ,is that the height of your intelligence ?.
    Silly left idiots like you will be the cause of a next war ,Putin will look at soppy people like you and be encouraged to act on rolling back his iron curtain .
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 23:26
    By the way, perhaps you are not aware but a weaker pound means better investment here, which kind of negates the "all the businesses are going to leave" bollox.
    City of London businesses are crying wolf, as they simply see this as an opportunity to ask the UK government to cut taxes.

London is, and always was, even before the single market really came into effect a mere 10 years ago, the financial capital of the world.

No other european city makes the top ten.

The city of London trades twice as many euros as the entire eurozone combined, and that will not change.

There will be no mass exodus, and even in the past few weeks banks have accepted brexit.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 23:302 edits
    I think your excuse for your abysmal mastery of the English language leaves much to be desired. If you went to a school where no proper English was taught, there still remain plenty of opportunities to better yourself. Have you considered following an online course?
    How snobby. If you didn't win the birth lottery you wouldn't like it if people laughed at you.

I know plenty of people here who were denied opportunities because of Bantu education, and nobody deserves to be made fun of for language skills.

Just as I make mistakes in Afrikaans and my Japanese has a long way to go I would not appreciate someone putting me down over it.

As there are 11 official languages in South Africa, most people have to find a common language to speak in, and this is English.
    A large proportion of people do not have the money or the opportunities to get a good English education.

This is not grounds for a point.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 23:43
    Politicians voting against their country's interests out of political expedience. Nothing new under the Sun, sadly.
    It's quite simple, really, how a democracy works. Politicians derive their power from the will of the people, who elect them, and are given a mandate by those people which they have to follow.

Not following it is not democracy. I'm not really sure what is difficult to grasp about this.