Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jul '16 21:002 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The police were found "not to be at fault" in Ferguson? Better read this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/03/04/the-12-key-highlights-from-the-dojs-scathing-ferguson-report/?utm_term=.69dc0848baf8

The last sentence is exactly what we'd expect from a partisan shill like yourself.
    Who was found guilty? Are you saying that the judicial system is a sham?

The hell you say! Maybe if Hillary was related to them Mike Brown's family may have won legally. Obama could have still supported the legal system he presides over. Instead, he chose to throw gas on it.

Obama chooses to take sides and throw gasoline on a country on the brink. He tells us "the police acted stupidly" only to learn they had not, or to send his attorney general to Missouri town to indict and prosecute (persecute really) a cop who was defending himself from an aggressor. He says "if he had a son, he could have been Trayvon"....even before he had any scant facts of the case or of the boy. He defends BLM, as they rage the streets and loot our stores and he's silent to their vile chants of "pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon".
    Isn't this the day he should address the nation?

And as Rome burns all Obama can do is whine about gun control.

Disgusting.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 00:51
    Originally posted by whodey

The hell you say! Maybe if Hillary was related to them Mike Brown's family may have won legally. Obama could have still supported the legal system he presides over. Instead, he chose to throw gas on it.

Obama chooses to take sides and throw gasoline on a country on the brink. H ...[text shortened]... ss the nation?

Disgusting.
    You certainly are disgusting; almost all of these claims are well-worn lies.

For a rational response to these shootings (rather than your "It's all Obama's fault!" as most everything is according to you). here's libertarian and originalist Ilya Somin:

If you believe, as I do, that we have a serious problem with police militarization and excessive use of force, this type of attack is doubly tragic. Its predictable effect will be to undermine public sympathy for victims of abusive police behavior, and increase political opposition to reform efforts. If the Dallas killers were motivated by a desire to protest police misconduct, they could not have chosen a more counterproductive approach to promoting their cause.

It is entirely understandable that we feel pain and anger in the immediate aftermath of such a terrible event. Almost everyone will agree that the perpetrators should be tried, and severely punished, if found guilty. But, hard as it is, we should also keep some other things in mind as we consider the implications of this atrocity.

First, however much outrage we feel, we should remember that our immediate emotional reactions to tragedy are rarely a good guide to policy. Ignorance and illogic are unusually likely to influence our thinking at such times. This is particularly likely to be the case if we reflexively conclude that the event in question reinforces our preexisting views – in this situation, views about gun control, the “war on cops,” police abuses, and other related issues. We should question our initial impulses, and think carefully and calmly before advocating any major new policy initiatives – particularly ones that might be costly in terms of lives, resources, and civil liberties.

Second, we should recall that there is no contradiction between condemning both crimes against police, and crimes committed by the police themselves. Both are serious dangers to public order, and both deserve severe punishment.

Third, we must keep in mind that the Dallas attack was extremely unusual. Claims of a widespread “war on cops” are not supported by the evidence. Last year was the second safest year on record for police officers,, as measured by the number of gun-related police deaths. Moreover, it would be wrong to suppose that state and local governments do not take anti-police violence seriously. Many states already impose extra punishment for crimes against on-duty police officers, and prosecutors generally put a high priority on such cases. In the state of Texas (where the Dallas murders occurred), the murder of a law enforcement officer “acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty” qualifies for the death penalty. It’s hard to impose a more severe punishment than that.

None of this will be of much comfort to the slain officers, or their families. But it is nonetheless important to keep in mind as we consider what to do in the future. The rarity of incidents like this and the fact that we already have severe punishments for crimes against police officers suggest that it will be very difficult to further reduce the incidence of such crimes by adopting more punitive policies.

These points are relevant to conservative proposals to address the issue by increasing punishment for anti-police violence, such as the ill-advised Blue Lives Matter Act. They also count against liberal efforts to combat the problem by increasing gun control. The relatively few people who deliberately target police officers despite the severe punishments for doing so are unlikely to be easy to deter.

Ultimately, there may be no simple solution to this problem. But we are more likely to deal with it constructively if we avoid yielding to our knee-jerk impulses. At the very least, it might help us avoid responses that cause more harm than good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/07/08/things-to-remember-as-we-contemplate-the-anti-police-atrocity-in-dallas/
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 02:03
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Has anyone claimed responsibility or is this a small cell of disgruntled black men who just got mad as hell and weren't going to take it any more?
    I heard it was one black man, a vet who served in Afghanistan, and he was pissed that he had to sit by and watch his brothers being killed by police on a near daily basis. There doesn't seem to have been anyone else involved.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 02:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You certainly are disgusting; almost all of these claims are well-worn lies.

For a rational response to these shootings (rather than your "It's all Obama's fault!" as most everything is according to you). here's libertarian and originalist Ilya Somin:

If you believe, as I do, that we have a serious problem with police militarization and excessive u ...[text shortened]... onspiracy/wp/2016/07/08/things-to-remember-as-we-contemplate-the-anti-police-atrocity-in-dallas/
    Well said.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 03:45

Obama chooses to take sides and throw gasoline on a country on the brink. H ...[text shortened]... ss the nation?

Disgusting.
    Yes— You are, literally, vomit worthy. You’re a twisted, dishonest bigot who doesn’t even care that most of what you spout is a lie. Caught in a lie, you deflect or change the subject or toss out a few sarcastic non-sequiturs. The pattern has become so pervasive that nobody bothers anymore to address all the individual instances singularly—that would be like wading into a bog (which I’m sure you would like). Those of us who remember you from “Before Obama” have watched that pattern develop and intensify over the years—until some of your posts become almost like a kind of hysterical glossolalia.

But, ironically, you have become a kind of spokesperson on here for the regressive right wing. That’s a good thing. Because it means that people who might otherwise be undecided will see exactly who you are and what you represent. You’re a sick joke.

My son is a police officer—and was until recently a ________ (well, think SWAT) operator. He is a professional. And he decries (and has been vocal in his own department about it) the kinds of murderous police abuse that has occurred. You are an insult to his integrity and professionalism.

I used to have a reputation (I think) of reasonable and civil posting on here. I no longer care. No—I don’t give an eff. You stoke the fires—and absolve yourself from the burning, whomever gets burned.

You, whodey, are one of a handful of people who, over the years, have changed my viewpoint fairly radically. Even though I am probably far less “left-wing” than I was when younger, you and your ilk have convinced me of how evil and degenerate the regressive right wing has become. Thank you for that.
  6. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 09:34
    Just think, all you have to do is ban guns for citizens and the police and then all will be right with the world. 😵
    We ,here in Britain do not have a problem with innocent black people being gunned down by a jumpy nervy cop ,why?, because the vast majority of civilians have no access to firearms and the cops unless it's a call out to a possible gun situation do not carry guns . That's the answer and the US police will go down the line of killing innocents for another hundred years ,sadly .
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 16:12
    Last night during a peaceful protest regarding black men who had been shot by police, a group of black men opened fire on police in an attempt to kill as many as they could.

So are these black men freedom fighters, as people like Marauder view Islamic terrorist groups, or murderers?
    They beez freedom fighters an chit like these young bloods in Toronto Canada be fightin' fo freedom from evil whitey:
    YouTube
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 18:25
    Originally posted by vistesd to Whodey
    Yes— You are, literally, vomit worthy. You’re a twisted, dishonest bigot who doesn’t even care that most of what you spout is a lie. Caught in a lie, you deflect or change the subject or toss out a few sarcastic non-sequiturs. The pattern has become so pervasive that nobody bothers anymore to address all the individual instances singularly—tha ...[text shortened]... nvinced me of how evil and degenerate the regressive right wing has become. Thank you for that.
    When I began writing (which was long after I joined) at RHP, I had hoped to be as civil as
    I could to everyone else. But I became too frustrated by the endemic shameless lying
    and extreme racism, sexism, and other bigotry that tends to dominate this forum.
    Most, though not all, of this unceasing abuse comes from the right-wing American trolls.
    I learned that trying to appear 'nice', being too euphemistic about wrongdoing, does not work.
    So when I observe enough evidence of continuing obvious lying, I refer to those who
    practice it as pathological liars.

On a more general and potentially more dangerous note, reportedly, some right-wing
    white Americans perceive what happened in Dallas as the opening (or latest) round in a
    'race war' that will determine the future of the USA. Some right-wing white Americans
    have appealed to others to join them in forming militias to 'retaliate' against black men.
    I suspect that these racist militias, if allowed to grow and thrive unchecked, will target
    non-white people in general, perhaps even suspected 'traitors to the white race' as well.

The internal war for the future of the United States might be just beginning.
    And, if it happens, I suspect that it will be a war with few rules and little mercy shown.