Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Jun '15 13:21
    http://news.yahoo.com/rachel-dolezal-naacp-black-white-misrepresenting-interview-today-110003467.html

So why is this woman resigning from the NAACP? She thinks she is black, so in the immortal words of Hillary Clinton, what does it matter?

It seems to me that if they can change Bruce Jenner into a woman, they can certainly change a white woman into a black woman.

Why is the NAACP so bigoted towards the transracial woman?

In fact, are any of you a transracial bigot?
  2. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    16 Jun '15 13:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/rachel-dolezal-naacp-black-white-misrepresenting-interview-today-110003467.html

So why is this woman resigning from the NAACP? She thinks she is black, so in the immortal words of Hillary Clinton, what does it matter?

It seems to me that if they can change Bruce Jenner into a woman, they can certainly change a white woman into a b ...[text shortened]... NAACP so bigoted towards the transracial woman?

In fact, are any of you a transracial bigot?
    I think the issue is that she claimed to be black when she wasn't. It's the deception that people are reacting to, not her race.
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    16 Jun '15 13:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think the issue is that she claimed to be black when she wasn't. It's the deception that people are reacting to, not her race.
    Yep. She lied. But it would have been very interesting if she hadn't.
  4. 16 Jun '15 14:04
    So it the proper remedy for someone who believes they were born the wrong race to get racial altering medical treatment?
  5. 16 Jun '15 14:07
    No, in her own mind she was black.

The issue is not accepting her as she thinks she is.

Maybe the GOP can form a super PAC of transracials if the left is going to disown them
  6. 16 Jun '15 14:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    So it the proper remedy for someone who believes they were born the wrong race to get racial altering medical treatment?
    Why not? She obviously thinks she is black.

Why not have some surgery done to enhance some "black" features?

Michael Jackson started to go white, so why can't she go black?
  7. 16 Jun '15 14:12
    So if I want to identify as a female Pygmy, for example, why can't I do so?

Why the bigotry?
  8. 16 Jun '15 14:27
    So if I want to identify as a female Pygmy, for example, why can't I do so?

Why the bigotry?
    Of course you can identify as a female pygmy, who is stopping you from doing so?
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Jun '15 14:40
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/a-civil-rights-leader-has-disguised-herself-as-black-for-yea

She apparently made false claims about receiving hate mail due to her race. She also claimed that her adopted black brother was her son.

If any of that is true, then it's not merely a matter of her wanting to be black, which I'm fine with.
  10. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    16 Jun '15 15:09

[b]No, in her own mind she was black.
    You're able to read her mind? That's quite a trick.

Unless you are privy to to a report i haven't read, her reasons are still unclear, though an interview with her parents was quite telling. It is just as likely she thought she would be taken more seriously for her chosen cause if she was thought to be black.
  11. 16 Jun '15 15:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Of course you can identify as a female pygmy, who is stopping you from doing so?
    So if I refer to myself as that, even though I'm told I'm not, is it lying?
  12. 16 Jun '15 15:39
    You're able to read her mind? That's quite a trick.

Unless you are privy to to a report i haven't read, her reasons are still unclear, though an interview with her parents was quite telling. It is just as likely she thought she would be taken more seriously for her chosen cause if she was thought to be black.
    Who is to judge why she wants to be black?

I hear Bruce Jenner, for example, is worth a lot more money as a woman than as an aging man. Am I then to question his motives as well? Who am I to judge?
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Jun '15 16:09
    Whodey has a point. It's not fair to crucify this woman for wanting to be a different race if it would be wrong to do the same if she was born a man who wanted to be a woman.
  14. 16 Jun '15 16:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Worked for Michael Jackson.
  15. 16 Jun '15 16:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    Whodey has a point. It's not fair to crucify this woman for wanting to be a different race if it would be wrong to do the same if she was born a man who wanted to be a woman.
    Now if she claimed to be a black man, that would be OK I think.